IGNORED

who can crack this one

Marius

Hi people!

there do circulate a few different versions of Syncalc. The 1983 version is ok, but is limited to 48K and has a few bugs. The 1985 version is the best version (bugs fixed, and supports XE memory). But this one is protected (see the .ATX file here: http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-syncalc_20705.html )

There is also the '1993' version of Syncalc, but unfortunately this one is based upon the 1983 version. It supports a lot more XE memory (useless, since the diskformat supported is still single density; so 90KB of data can be saved at max!); but since this version is based on the 1983 version, the same bugs do exist.

I found out that when I boot that .ATX file using Ape into my atari using Qmeg, I can 'freeze' the memory, and then I can load the memory back later, and then I can use the Syncalc 1985 version. But... Syncalc is not compatible with Qmeg (there is something going on with the cursor speed), and besides that I want to run Syncalc not from Qmeg, since I want to run it on unmodified atari.

But the fact that it can run from Qmeg Freezer without the original disk, is a clue. I have been thinking of making a memory dump with an emulator and then write my own loader, but so far I have not succeed.

So I hope someone else can and wants to do it.

Next to the described versions of Syncalc, there is also a FILE version of Syncalc available, but that one is very limited (max. 20kb of data!) ... it is a strange version, it also supports read/write to drive 3 and 4.

I have described all these existing versions, to let you know that I am aware of the existence of all these other versions. They unfortunately are not what I'm looking for. I would really love to have this '1983, 1985' version (the one from the link).

Thanks a lot!

PW

I have that 1983-85 version complete in box but the disk is giving me errors and they are not due to copy protection :) .... You can always use the 1983-85 .ATX file with Altirra but I know it's not the same as using it on the 8 bit. Unfortunately that .ATX file is not working with AspeQt's very limited .ATX support

Edited by atari8warez

Thanks a8w for your reply!

The 1983, 1985 version works great with APE pro system including the VAPI.DLL, but my plan is to run this one on MyIDE, so I need a cracked version.

I hope some can do a crack/hack, otherwise I have to do it myself, and that will take ages since I'm not so good at this.

Thanks a8w for your reply!

The 1983, 1985 version works great with APE pro system including the VAPI.DLL, but my plan is to run this one on MyIDE, so I need a cracked version.

I hope some can do a crack/hack, otherwise I have to do it myself, and that will take ages since I'm not so good at this.

Ah never thought of VAPI.DLL, will see if i can implement that in AspeQt.. Time to check Atarimania....lol...

Thanks for the tip by the way

Edited by atari8warez

You've gotta upgrade to Win 8 Joey :P

I have been warned not to upgrade to Windows 8 because it was designed mainly for touch screens/tablets, and that it doesn't work well(or at least requires a lot of time to learn how to work with it) with standard desktop systems.

I have been warned not to upgrade to Windows 8 because it was designed mainly for touch screens/tablets, and that it doesn't work wel(or at least requires a lot of time to learn how to work with it) with standard desktop systems.

I heard the same thing.

Hi people!

there do circulate a few different versions of Syncalc. The 1983 version is ok, but is limited to 48K and has a few bugs. The 1985 version is the best version (bugs fixed, and supports XE memory). But this one is protected (see the .ATX file here: http://www.atarimani...calc_20705.html )

What I do have here is a 1984(!) version. I do not know whether that specific bug exists - could you please describe it? Syncalc, however, uses memory from page 8 upwards, which requires a special DOS to drive it. The Dos 2.XL of myself was able to run this version, though. Whether this specific 1984 version supports XE memory I do not know.

ATX image dump shows a simple CRC error on track 4 and a ton of duplicated sectors on tracks 29-31. The latter is driven by a big ugly state machine, so it would not be fun to unwind. It's also hostile to a soft-kicked OS (I already tried).

Altirra has a freezer hidden in its debugger (.dumpsnap command), and it works enough here to get SynCalc up and running (attached). One problem, though, is that cell A1 is showing as protected, which it shouldn't. It also won't work with any OS except XL/XE OS ver. 2 because of the memory freeze capturing OS vectors.

syncalc-xlxe.zip

• Like 2

I have been warned not to upgrade to Windows 8 because it was designed mainly for touch screens/tablets, and that it doesn't work well(or at least requires a lot of time to learn how to work with it) with standard desktop systems.

I heard the same thing.

I upgraded to wIndows 8 and it can be used EXACTLY like windows 7, with the exception of clicking to get to the desktop. The main difference between 7 and 8 is you get the additional capability to use it in touch screen mode. The start menu has changed to the Metro Style screen, but can still be clicked rather than touched. And some other variation that will take you about an afternoon to iron out. I use it to play Civilization V in touch screen mode.

I upgraded to wIndows 8 and it can be used EXACTLY like windows 7, with the exception of clicking to get to the desktop. The main difference between 7 and 8 is you get the additional capability to use it in touch screen mode. The start menu has changed to the Metro Style screen, but can still be clicked rather than touched. And some other variation that will take you about an afternoon to iron out. I use it to play Civilization V in touch screen mode.

I just discovered Classic Shell which adds the Start menu, and some other features, into Windows 8. It is freeware, although they do ask for donations.

http://www.classicshell.net/

ATX image dump shows a simple CRC error on track 4 and a ton of duplicated sectors on tracks 29-31. The latter is driven by a big ugly state machine, so it would not be fun to unwind. It's also hostile to a soft-kicked OS (I already tried).

Altirra has a freezer hidden in its debugger (.dumpsnap command), and it works enough here to get SynCalc up and running (attached). One problem, though, is that cell A1 is showing as protected, which it shouldn't. It also won't work with any OS except XL/XE OS ver. 2 because of the memory freeze capturing OS vectors.

Hi!

Yes It is the same experience I have with Qmeg Freezer. It is a prove for me, that as soon as the program is loaded, that the 'original' disk is no longer needed. So a memory dump, and an appropriate loader which sets all the right flags and things right, should do the trick. I want to run this from MyIDE, so some tweaking is needed.

Do you know what the init and start address(es) are?

I'm wondering whether the original disk uses a 'custom' DOS which is loaded in page 7 or not.

It's an interesting project!

Thx.

Do you know what the init and start address(es) are?

I'm wondering whether the original disk uses a 'custom' DOS which is loaded in page 7 or not.

Run address is 0x1a00. The stuff in page 8 is just the junk state machine, and yes, it includes a custom os, but not in page 7. Page 8 through 1a contain it, plus the loader.

• Like 1

What I do have here is a 1984(!) version. I do not know whether that specific bug exists - could you please describe it? Syncalc, however, uses memory from page 8 upwards, which requires a special DOS to drive it. The Dos 2.XL of myself was able to run this version, though. Whether this specific 1984 version supports XE memory I do not know.

The bug is:

having data (or formatting data) in the last row (255) and then somewhere in the spreadsheet do an insert row. -> Crash.

But the FILE version of Syncalc (that is what you might be talking about?) is also not what I'm looking for I guess (haha sorry).

The version I'm looking for is a DISK version (not file) and is an update of the original 1983 version. I have the .ATX file of this disk, but I 'need' the 100% same disk, but then unprotected; or 'at least' 100% the same program, on a disk with a custom loader.

The 'saved state' loader from Altirra phaeron provided is cool, but does not work with MyIDE.

So I hope someone can provide it.

Run address is 0x1a00. The stuff in page 8 is just the junk state machine, and yes, it includes a custom os, but not in page 7. Page 8 through 1a contain it, plus the loader.

Are you describing this info about your 1984 version, or about the 1985 version I need? If it is the info about the 1985, I might go at work with that info, and then I might be able to create what I want myself...

To be continued!

And thank you ALL for your responses and support. Interesting!!

Marius, I just tried 1983-85 version and it also has the same INSERT bug. Freezes when you insert a row when row 255 contains data.

So I wonder why not use 1993 version and make your life easier.... I also found out that AspeQt is actually able to load that .atx (surprising as not many .atx files can be loaded with the existing implementation)

Edited by atari8warez

Marius, I just tried 1983-85 version and it also has the same INSERT bug. Freezes when you insert a row when row 255 contains data.

So I wonder why not use 1993 version and make your life easier.... I also found out that AspeQt is actually able to load that .atx (surprising as not many .atx files can be loaded with the existing implementation)

Does not seem to happen with the file version here *if* you enable the Axlon RAM extension. Or at least, I tried once without the extended RAM, and it hung, and tried then again with Axlon RAM, and it worked.

• Like 1

That is weird. On my Atari the bug does not occur with 1983, 1985 version.

And the 1993 does not work with MyIDE Flash Bios, since the patch of 1993 Syncalc is using (I guess) ram where the MyBios Flash version is also installed in memory. The 1993 version works fine with MyIDE Rom in Eprom, but I was hoping that the 1985 version would work with MyBIOS - Flash.

The file version is not an option for this; it does not support XE memory.

I use Syncalc professionally ... my whole business administration is in Syncalc. It works perfect, and I like doing something usefull and serious on my Atari 8bit.

So I still keep hoping for 1985 version for MyIDE.

I use Syncalc professionally ... my whole business administration is in Syncalc. It works perfect, and I like doing something usefull and serious on my Atari 8bit.

So I still keep hoping for 1985 version for MyIDE.

I used to do my taxes with 1983-85 version for couple of years. I had programmed the whole tax return form into it including tax brackets so once done I was able to just key in the numbers, similar to tax preparation software of today. SynCalc was the only Atari software I used for serious work and I like it's clean looking interface and functionality. The only gripe I had was the limited screen area but that was inherent in all home computer software of the era.

• 2 years later...

Funny. At Fujiama this year, Roland came to me asking for what Marius had asked before. And I got stuck exactly at the "the latter is driven by a big ugly state machine, so it would not be fun to unwind. It's also hostile to a soft-kicked OS (I already tried).". And today I found it also supports Axlon and that made me find this thread and confirmed what I had found (Disk version auto-detects up to 12 additional XE RAM banks which original version only checks the for the fist bank and then assumes it's an 130 XE). Really interesting to find and read this. :-)

Port B FF EF EB E7 E3 AF AB A7 A3 8F 8B 87 83 FF FF
Model 800/XL 130 XE 130 XE 130 XE 130 XE RAMBO RAMBO RAMBO RAMBO RAMBO RAMBO RAMBO RAMBO
RAM (k) 48 / 64 128 128 128 128 192 192 192 192 256 256 256 256

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 2