IGNORED

Release: "HAR'em final".... not quite :(

Creature XL

Please find the release of the our game "HAR'em final" in the attachment.

It is (again) only a release candidate, because we have to sort out troubles with the title pic.

However, as the game itself will stay like it is now, I thought I release it. Which is a bit sad, as it has been lying around in that form since the 9th of December 2012. And if I knew that I will release it without the title pic I could have done so in in December 2012 and it would have had took part in the KAZ-compo (provided there is one).

The pic will come, it is painted and rasterconverter-converted already...

This game was initially coded as a quickhack for the ABBUC-SW-contest 2012, because we realized the game we planed would be possible in time (meanwhile it was put on ice :) ). However, we (or more specifically I ) thought that it would be a good idea to do something for the contest to show we are still active. It wasn't meant to be a preview and it was never planned to release it in the form it is today (well, in December last year) :)

Sadly, we didn't get the music and sfx ready in time, so it was a preview after all.

What has changed/improved?

- music and sound efx

- a 2nd level

- a "fast" mode (explained below)

- you get bonus ships every 10,000 points

- pause with SPACE

- music is mute-able ('m')

- bug fixes

- oh and now you can actually get all three upgrades for each weapon ;)

what is the "Fast mode"?

As said, it was a quickhack, so the system which spits out the enemies is rather simple and takes a ton of RAM, so I couldn't make more levels (and I would have wanted anyways as it is a awful work to do :( ). So I implemented the "fast mode". After you complete level 2, you must do level 1 and level 2 again, only this time it is twice as fast :)

Was easy to implemented (skip the '25Hz check' and call the enemy state machine two times). Downside, some parts are (e.g. moving walls) are unplayable. So you have to collect enough bonus ships beforehand :)

And as the enemy state machine is run twice it needs (of course) more CPU cycles and you can see that when lots of enemies and shots are on screen. That is a reason why I urge you to not use "auto fire". ;)

Which bugs are known?

- sometimes when you die, it takes 5 seconds till the ship re-spawns (hard to debug)

- graphic glitches here and there (mostly in "fast mode")

- seldom you die when you pick up a power-up :)

How to play:

No real manual needed I guess.

Shoot everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. You can shoot the power-ups for lots of points. Shoot the meteors. Takes some moments but they get you a good amount of points as well.

I conclude by thanking my beta-tester "The RealBountyBob" for his valuable input (e.g. pause mode, music (and muting it) are only some of his ideas) and OSon and Flash for taking part in this insane idea to do a shooter in 6 weeks (and making the improved version after the contest).

I hope you have as much fun with this little game as we had stress making it :P

Creature XL

PS:

Thorn of.tSCc. visited me in December and made a video of me playing it. As far as I can see it isn't online yet, so be sure to check his channel for it. Then you might be able to see the only person who finishes this game :)

HARem_RC1.xex

Edited by Creature XL
  • Like 8

can't play on emu ;) unfortunatly ;)

need a real joystic with autofire

Works great with Atari800 winplus 4.0 - :)

After candles post - i tried this with Altirra and got a white screen only. :-o (on my machine Altirra is more problematic for some games)

Richard.

• Like 1

Excellent work Creature XL :thumbsup:

HAR'em also gets a mention on the atariteca blog.

I thought it was better to have a 2nd "impossible" round rather than the game just end (way too soon!); this way you have more of a challenge. If you do manage to hang onto the weapons and dodge the fast wall then it's not so bad. ;) It's deliberately a challenging game, to help compensate for the lack of levels.

The objects are in fixed positions so there is a maximum possible score to go for for completing each round. Hopefully we will play this (and Callisto) in the High Score Club this season. Hint: Just because you can power up the speed to 3, doesn't mean you should ;)

Har'em seems to work fine on altirra and atari800win+ (in both PAL and NTSC modes) on a Windows XP PC anyway :) The firing is neat; hold down for a steady stream or mash the button for an awesome barrage!

• Like 1

Great that HAR'em is liked so much. So it was worth the effort to finish it :)

Well, almost. The title pic will come eventually. It's really just teh fact that the result from RasterConverter doesn't look quite the same when I import it into G2F.

Wouldn't be much of a problem, as I could do it manually (mostly just PMGs are placed incorrect). But, it looks different on my TV then it looks in Altirra. So it is not as easy to change :(

I might send the XEX to Phareon so he can have a look at it.

Excellent work Creature XL :thumbsup:

HAR'em also gets a mention on the atariteca blog.

Har'em seems to work fine on altirra and atari800win+ (in both PAL and NTSC modes) on a Windows XP PC anyway :) The firing is neat; hold down for a steady stream or mash the button for an awesome barrage!

It's a pity that the video wasn't captured from Altirra. As AFAIK only Altirra displays the "PAL blending" in the morons logo.

And the real thing of course as long as it is connected to a PAL TV :)

BTW, for the guys who like shooters. In the back of my mind is still the idea to make "HAR'em 2" which would be more complete (Shops, more levels, not only black background, ...). However, ATM I like to explore the possibilities of the A8 in another genre. Said engine is coming along quit nicely, BTW :)

• Like 2

I apologize for this... It was my BD yesterday, so I was kinda in a hurry at home ;)

WIll try to record a second video in Altirra ;-)

It's a pity that the video wasn't captured from Altirra. As AFAIK only Altirra displays the "PAL blending" in the morons logo.

And the real thing of course as long as it is connected to a PAL TV :)

• Like 1

BTW, for the guys who like shooters. In the back of my mind is still the idea to make "HAR'em 2" which would be more complete (Shops, more levels, not only black background, ...)
Yes please do, that would be excellent. We have a lack of top quality shoot 'em ups on the A8. Amongst the various games I've been working on that's not a genre I've got involved with myself so far.

However, ATM I like to explore the possibilities of the A8 in another genre. Said engine is coming along quit nicely, BTW :)
:thumbsup: Good to hear also.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Great that HAR'em is liked so much. So it was worth the effort to finish it icon_smile.gif

Well, almost. The title pic will come eventually. It's really just teh fact that the result from RasterConverter doesn't look quite the same when I import it into G2F.

Wouldn't be much of a problem, as I could do it manually (mostly just PMGs are placed incorrect). But, it looks different on my TV then it looks in Altirra. So it is not as easy to change icon_sad.gif

I might send the XEX to Phareon so he can have a look at it.

BTW, for the guys who like shooters. In the back of my mind is still the idea to make "HAR'em 2" which would be more complete (Shops, more levels, not only black background, ...). However, ATM I like to explore the possibilities of the A8 in another genre. Said engine is coming along quit nicely, BTW icon_smile.gif

Errmm,

was there ever a new(er) version of HAR`em with title-picture ?

Or was the title-picture for this game ever finished ?

-Andreas Koch.

Errmm,

was there ever a new(er) version of HAR`em with title-picture ?

Or was the title-picture for this game ever finished ?

-Andreas Koch.

I think it wasn't released, but Flash still insists on finishing the picture.

AS stated above. It IS finished as an ST version, but it needs some tweaking so it looks good after conversion.

However, we just have had our kick-start meeting for the game, so I have no idea what priority it has for him :)