IGNORED

7800 Connection

Mer01

Hi! I finally got my 7800 working with my 42 inch Visio TV following the method suggested by a post on AtariAge using an old VCR. I am so excited it worked! My next question is, when I hook it up the games are black and white which I recognize as an issue due to the signal conversion but is there any way that I can correct this? Modifying the system internally is not something I can or want to do. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Hmmm. No color? Try changing the channel. Sometimes I see the game on 3 and 4, but one provides a better picture than the other. Also some old vcrs allow for fine tuning the channels with a dial and others will digitally set the channels. If you have the latter, leave your Atari on and let your vcr auto program the channels. The Atari should be the only thing it finds, but it will do a better job of locking onto the signal.

How are you running into the vcr? rca to coax adapter? Or are you just plugging the rca looking wire into the yellow jack?

I'm using an rca coax cable into probably a 30 year old switch box. I think it is the original switch box from my 2600. I'm going to try to change the switch box to an adapter to see if that helps. The auto tuning on the VCR makes sense too. I will try that as well. Thanks!

OK.. first take off the switch box! It isn't necessary. Go to Radio Shack or order one of these from Al in the AA store: http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=42

The switch box is likely your problem in this case. Your vcr will give a better pic if you just run the cable into that adapter and straight into your vcr. You won't be able to hook up your cable/antennae through it, but cable/satellite/whatever also interferes with the signal so don't try to run it into that vcr at the same time.

I know it all sounds like voodoo nonsense, but I promise it will help.