IGNORED

Next Xbox Online only. No Used Games....again.

cimerians

http://www.destructoid.com/next-xbox-always-online-blocks-used-games-not-buying-it-244151.phtml

and another:

http://www.webpronews.com/next-xbox-to-have-always-online-drm-rumor-2013-02

Once again, if this is sickenly true, I will not buy the next Xbox. The used game thing is a killer but an online requirement is an absolute NOT. I loved Diablo but absolutely did not buy Diablo III went it came out with that online requirement.

As the writer says I can't believe it either.... but I WON'T be surprised if they did.

The thing is, it takes two. I can't believe they would do it and then watch as Sony doesn't do something like this. Or piss off Gamestop.

Lord knows...they did some wacked out things with Windows 8 and being a Microsoft certified admin, they basically give me a career and a paycheck.

I still cannot tolerate this though. Will it eventually happen? Thoughts?

• Like 2

In one of the linked articles, it was said that the only way this could really work would be if all three companies made a pact to block used games. Nintendo has already committed to supporting used games for the future, so that's out. That leaves Sony and MS. I really think those two have shot themselves in the foot enough times this gen that they really can't afford to screw up again.

It won't kill the industry, we'd just go back to having two systems instead of three. That would probably be a good thing.

• Like 1

The steam box looks more and mora appealing instead of the next gen.

No online fee's and no M$ OS

Because of their sales prices I don't mind their DRM

They have DRM? I play Steam games all the time and haven't even noticed it. I move games from laptop to laptop, clear local files, add them back, add non-steam games to the library, play when the internet is down, and get games from multiple bundle sites, and I have yet to notice any DRM. Perhaps, not having been a PC gamer before the last couple years I am unaware of what games used to work like on there, but I can never even find out what Steam's DRM is. Meanwhile while I still had a 360 I knew exactly what the DRM was on my indie games. It was "if the internet is off, your game doesn't exist. Boo hoo, you stupid baby."

The sales prices are only part of why I give them all kinds of money. The service is just amazing in every way.

Steams DRM is transparent, they wouldn't pull what Blizzard did. The service Valve provides is unparalleled. You can play offline, on as many machines as you want. They do it the RIGHT way. I trust Valve waayy more than I do EA or any other publisher or company like Sony or Microsoft.

Wonderful post about Steam on why they are the best:

http://www.destructoid.com/why-i-would-rather-have-steam-drm-than-no-drm-218410.phtml

Depending on what Microsoft and Sony do...heck...regardless of what they do. I'm all for Steambox.

I imagine the possibilities of a GOG/Valve team up for the Steambox. Hell yeah......

Also, it seems Nintendo is the only one not talking subscriptions and online only nonsense. My hats off to Nintendo.

• Like 1

Steam like any other company is still a business with some anti-consumer practices. Steam can, and has, banned accounts with no explanation. Just some vague violation of terms and zero details on what the violation is. And that's the issue that banned people have with Steam. In order to fight an error, you have to know what error you're being accused of.

At least with Microsoft and Sony, they tell you what you did wrong (more Microsoft but Sony does usually if you push them). Heck, we get enjoyment at the stuff that the Xbox enforcement team writes in response to the banned pleas.

• Like 1

Steam like any other company is still a business with some anti-consumer practices. Steam can, and has, banned accounts with no explanation. Just some vague violation of terms and zero details on what the violation is. And that's the issue that banned people have with Steam. In order to fight an error, you have to know what error you're being accused of.

At least with Microsoft and Sony, they tell you what you did wrong (more Microsoft but Sony does usually if you push them). Heck, we get enjoyment at the stuff that the Xbox enforcement team writes in response to the banned pleas.

All companies do shit.

Who has shit on who the most?

It doesn't even come close to an argument. Not even close.

Edited by cimerians

Yeah well my Xbox Live Indie games weren't working because I unhooked it from the internet when I moved it to the basement, and meanwhile my PC, which was online, could load up my Steam games with or without the connection. Think about that for a second. My game console, which wasn't online, couldn't play a game that was on it because it wasn't on the internet. Meanwhile my PC, which was, of course, on the internet didn't need a connection to the internet to play games. That's right. Imagine that 15 years ago. The console had always online DRM and the PC was the one that just worked when you started it up.

At least Steam assumes that I might someday want to play a game I bought when my router is down. Say what you will about some rare bannings, always online DRM on one dollar games on your console is the absolute low point of console gaming.

The stories are just based on speculation. The conclusion to it all is that we STILL DON'T KNOW whether or not it will have that. When we get a story that definitively discloses this information, it will be news. Until then, it's just an overabundance of speculative ASCII.

I HOPE they do it! Because then I won't buy one. The fallout will be that I'll save a TON of money, and I'll play that lifetime's worth of games that I have all around me, already. But if they (and Sony) collaborate (sounds like some sort of antitrust violation) then Wii U will be the next-gen console for me, for sure.

• Like 3

At least Steam assumes that I might someday want to play a game I bought when my router is down. Say what you will about some rare bannings, always online DRM on one dollar games on your console is the absolute low point of console gaming.

not saying Steam is bad. but there are no saints in business. "business is war". as an Atarian, you should know that phrase quite well. the sooner you realize that, the sooner you can pull Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Google, Valve, etc. off that pedestal.

I'll probably get a Wii U once my new job hits full-time just to play the Nintendo franchise entries and any non-MMO RPGs that happen to come out, but I think for the most part most of my gaming will be done on the 3DS. That handheld is graphically advanced enough for me to be satisfied just sticking with it. It's almost as good as having a Benheck'd Gamecube handheld would be!

I'll still get one. MS hasn't disappointed me in the past 11+ years for video games and entertainment. They are pretty smart. Hey do you guys remember the discussions on here in 2004 about microtransactions destroying games? Yea, you would have to buy a weapon to play a game or you could buy Madden but the actual football wouldn't be included and poor gamers would only get like a straw with one spitball in deathmatch but the rich kids would always win cuz microtransactions would let them but a rocket launcher. Wow good memories........we should do that again. Wait.....my bad

I hope they do this. I didn't really feel like spending another $400 on new hardware. I hope Sony does it too.

Meh. They've done enough to consoles this generation alone that I'm already not bothering with the next. With how fast I saw things degenerate (In my opinion) this generation, I only fear what the industry will be like by the end of next. And so I decided to close shop on new consoles and just concentrate on playing what I already have.

not saying Steam is bad. but there are no saints in business. "business is war". as an Atarian, you should know that phrase quite well. the sooner you realize that, the sooner you can pull Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Google, Valve, etc. off that pedestal.

I'm not saying they are perfect, but your argument is based on a false premise. Just because a business is a busniness does not mean it has to be exactly the same as another business, particularly if there is something very different about the structure of that company. A small local coffee shop is hardly going to be as anti-customer as a Starbucks. They are in business, but in a much different way.

The thing your continued comparison fails to take into account is that every company you list except Valve has the same structure. Google, Microsoft, Sony, Apple, and Sony are all publically traded companies. This means they have stockholders, who expect returns, continued growth, and certain profits. It takes some extreme doing (Microsoft had to work very hard at it) to get these investors to accept losses in the name of better products down the road. As a result, the best interest of the consumer and the stockholder are quite often different, and the company answers more to the latter than the former.

Valve is the only company on your list of examples that is a privately held company. It has no stock. The company doesn't answer to anyone but itself and its consumers. If the owners (I believe there are like 2) decide they are willing to accept a $40 million drop in profits this year to increase the user experience on Steam, boom, they do it. For that reason they can do all kinds of silly stuff at once that have no obvious early benefits without having to make the business case for it (Steam Linux, Free to Play TF2, Steambox). They can just do cool stuff, and if the owners of the company are happy, fine.

What does that allow for? A different type of comapny. Despite your continued belief that every comapny is the same, they actually are not. Different business models allow for different types of companies. The publically owned corporation is the worst model of business in human history. Serfdom made more sense.

If you want to see what sort of company can result from that difference, check out the blog Valve has for their economist. yeah, they fund scholarly research into their own company and then put the results out for public consumption.

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/economics/why-valve-or-what-do-we-need-corporations-for-and-how-does-valves-management-structure-fit-into-todays-corporate-world/

I know your belief is that "liking" one company over another is naive. However, I believe it is naive not to see the obvious differences between a publically owned corporation, a private company, and local entrpeneurs. All three types of business are, by their nature, able to behave differently. Yeah, a local business CAN be evil, but it doesn't have to be. A large, privately held company CAN be evil, but it doesn't absolutely have to be. A corporation is evil and anti-consumer by design. It eventually gets there every time.

• Like 2

http://www.destructoid.com/next-xbox-always-online-blocks-used-games-not-buying-it-244151.phtml

and another:

http://www.webpronews.com/next-xbox-to-have-always-online-drm-rumor-2013-02

Once again, if this is sickenly true, I will not buy the next Xbox. The used game thing is a killer but an online requirement is an absolute NOT. I loved Diablo but absolutely did not buy Diablo III went it came out with that online requirement.

As the writer says I can't believe it either.... but I WON'T be surprised if they did.

The thing is, it takes two. I can't believe they would do it and then watch as Sony doesn't do something like this. Or piss off Gamestop.

Lord knows...they did some wacked out things with Windows 8 and being a Microsoft certified admin, they basically give me a career and a paycheck.

I still cannot tolerate this though. Will it eventually happen? Thoughts?

Hey look, two "stories" that link to the same source. I'll believe it when I see it.