IGNORED

Season 6 Round 13 - Fathom

Fathom

post-5757-0-06342700-1361114177_thumb.png

Free Neptune's daughter by finding the missing pieces of the Trident! Change forms. As a seagull, touch clouds - they'll disappear! Beware bumping black birds. Make magic stars appear. They're your key to finding the Trident. Return to the sea and become a dolphin. Avoid seaweed, ominous sharks, deadly octopuses and other threatening fish. Touch sea horses for special help! Scorching volcanoes present a special challenge! Beware the deadly fireballs! Can you find the Trident pieces, free the mermaid and reach the next sea - where the challenge is even greater!.

Game Information

Game Name: Fathom

Released by: Imagic, 1984

Original arcade game by: N/A

CV HSC High Score: None

TwinGalaxies High Score: Website Down

Settings: Level 1

This game was suggested by: atariron82

Contest Ends

Saturday, 23 February 2013 at 1:00AM EST

Contest Rules

The HSC rules can be found here

Final High Scores

1. Northcoastgamer 8,404 [+100]

2. jblenkle 7,428 [+88]

3. atariron82 4,273 [+51]

4. ed1475 2,808 [+33]

5. darthkur 2,669 [+32]

6. roadrunner 1,698 [+20]

7. Darrin9999 250 [+3]

Leaderboard

1. Northcoastgamer [582] (6) 5

2. jblenkle [519] (12) 1

3. ed1475 [456] (12) 1 1

4. skosh [403] (9)

5. roadrunner [298] (12)

6. Ikrananka [260] (7)

7. darthkur [258] (5)

8. Darrin9999 [240] (10) 1

9. JEFF31 [234] (7)

10. NE146 [200] (2) 2

11. Mangia-Boy [164] (2) 1 1

12. Liduario [144] (7)

13. patbb [141] (3) 1

14. WispFollower [119] (3)

15. atariaddict82 [101] (5)

16. ChuckH [98] (2)

17. craigm71 [97] (3)

18. Manoau2002 [90] (2)

19. gavvv [85] (1)

20. sean49938 [74] (2)

21. kelman66 [66] (4)

22. mc#4 [65] (3)

23. atariron82 [25] (1)

24. sega_SHARK [15] (1)

25. Mister VCS [2] (1)

[ ] = Points

( ) = Rounds Played

BLUE = Rounds Won

GOLD = Seasons Won

Can anyone tell me the significance of white clouds as opposed to yellow clouds...and black seahorses as opposed to yellow seahorses? They appear to take away points, but are they of any other use? I can't find any reference to them in the instructions.

On several instances I have not been able to find any additional yellow clouds/seahorses and have not collected the trident...does this mean there is no way to complete the level?

First you have to dive down and get the two yellow seahorses...then you surface and become a bird. You will notice a compass on the screen telling you which way to fly. Collect the yellow clouds...after you collect two on a particular screen, you will see a star to collect and you will be awarded a piece of Neptune's Trident. You need both pieces of it. After you get both, collect as many other yellow clouds as you can before they turn white/gray. The yellow clouds add time to your counter. White ones take it away.

Then return to the open ocean screen and dive down. Avoid the black seahorses and jellyfish. Go down another level and navigate down through the seaweed. You will find a wrecked ship. You must avoid the Octopus and touch the figurehead on the bow of the ship releasing Neptina(?)...you will then start over, but it will be harder...no compass to start with...do the same stuff as before and it will eventually appear to guide you.

The first two levels aren't that hard, but I have yet to complete the third level.

Here is a PDF of the manual:

Fathom.pdf

250 Have no clue as to what I`m supposed to do in this game..

First you have to dive down and get the two yellow seahorses...then you surface and become a bird. You will notice a compass on the screen telling you which way to fly. Collect the yellow clouds...after you collect two on a particular screen, you will see a star to collect and you will be awarded a piece of Neptune's Trident. You need both pieces of it. After you get both, collect as many other yellow clouds as you can before they turn white/gray. The yellow clouds add time to your counter. White ones take it away.

Then return to the open ocean screen and dive down. Avoid the black seahorses and jellyfish. Go down another level and navigate down through the seaweed. You will find a wrecked ship. You must avoid the Octopus and touch the figurehead on the bow of the ship releasing Neptina(?)...you will then start over, but it will be harder...no compass to start with...do the same stuff as before and it will eventually appear to guide you.

The first two levels aren't that hard, but I have yet to complete the third level.

Here is a PDF of the manual:

Fathom.pdf

Thanks Jblenkle! I`ll see if I can better my awesome score or 250...

I don't know why my previous score shows 99 for health. I was dead and the shark was just going across the screen.

I played it again and did a little better.

I also recorded my gameplay avi file on bluemsx but it's 2.70 GB in size.

Way too big to post here.

Edited by roadrunner

I think this game has bugs in it...I've twice experienced a scoring bug where the score counter just takes off wildly and continues upward. I let it run the 2nd time just to see what would happen when it hit 99,999, but for some strange reason it quit at 67,930. I think it took about 15 minutes to reach that as I watched the Dolphin jump out of the water continuously...Both times you could continue playing the game even with the score counter going upward.

I am not...by the way...submitting that score for the HSC...but here is a screenshot...

post-9212-0-13802200-1361157687_thumb.png

I don't know why my previous score shows 99 for health. I was dead and the shark was just going across the screen.

I played it again and did a little better.

I also recorded my gameplay avi file on bluemsx but it's 2.70 GB in size.

Way too big to post here.

Edited by jblenkle

Nice lesser known game from Imagic, somewhat similar to Wing War. Once you get the general idea down as to the game-play, the only thing otherwise "unfathomable" is the steep grade of difficulty beginning in level 3. Oh..and..will somebody get me a spear-gun for that pesky octopus!!? :twisted: ,..the trident doesn't seem to do a whole lot ;-)

post-21471-0-28683300-1361190557_thumb.jpg

Edited by atariron82