IGNORED

Atari 800 Teleprompter systems.

classics

I just got in 2 Atari 800s that were used as teleprompter systems.

They have a rom card in place of the 3rd RAM card and a big DIN port on the back thats wired into the power circuit and a custom PCB with a 555 timer on it.

Anyone seen these before?

I'm dumping the software off the rom card at the moment, hopefully it will run in RAM on a normal computer.

Possibly, I'm still rooting through what I picked up though at the moment.

I'll post a link with some disassembly pictures soon.

I also received 2 'Character Generator, Inc' Atari 800XL units that have been modified with a battery backup system and CG cartridge locked in a metal box on top of the unit.

Thanks, yes I will write down what compnents have been replaced. From looking at the picture I would say they just changed the resistor values to tweak the horrible 800xl video somewhat.

Screenshots of the 800XL cgi software are up. Its much better software and includes code to turn a VCR on and off via a timer.

• 18 years later...

I have some old floppy drives from the 80's that I used to teleprompt with. I'm not sure I have the starter floppy's but I will look.

We used to have to boot the computers with a floppy drive (dos) and then insert the teleprompter software program. From what I remember, the scripts had to be typed into the program as there were no ways to input the scripts from other computers - no usb, email, etc. but that wouldn't make sense because if I had a floppy, surely writers would have had a way to save their scripts on floppy drives? I do remember Georgia Power couriering a script to me before a shoot the next day. It was over 100 pages long (can't remember how long it really was) and it took me hours (almost all night) to type the script in. This was when I was typing 90wpm.

If anyone can find information on if programs started with typing scripts in, or with floppy drives, please email me. plescoprompters@gmail.com

• Like 2

On 2/23/2003 at 2:58 AM, classics said:

800XL Teleprompter system/cartridge pictures are up.

cgixl_1.jpg

http://www.atarimax.com/technfo/cgixl/

I don't see them...

the jpeg is broken either as a result of the forum or the op's media/gallery/etc. section of the forum being muffed.

@Albert, maybe this is the part that happens on old posts... pulling from different areas of the users areas on the forum software?