IGNORED

eBay Fees - Holy crap!

Albert

I agree the fees on eBay get a bit excessive and/or ridiculous at times, but I'm far more offended at how they hang sellers out to dry. It's insanely easy to rip someone off and fall within the rules of the site. You basically have to trust the person buying from you isn't going to turn around and screw you.

I personally just use it for the few buyers who are based in the US who sell import games, and a few odds and ends like the Action Replay I just bought to sofmod my new Xbox. Stuff like consoles I'm sticking with places like AtariAge and RF Generation.

• Like 1

So, I've put a few games on eBay in the last two weeks. Today I looked at my account and was absolutely SHOCKED to see how much I owed eBay for the items I sold. I mean, the Final Value fee for a $60 items is $7.00! Plus there's a seprate Final Value Fee on the shipping (!!!). And of course the insertion fee as well. I cannot believe eBay gets away with a Final Value Fee on shipping. When the heck did this change?

This severely sours my enthusiasm for selling anything on eBay. These fees are just ridiculous, and of course that doesn't include PayPal's ~3% cut of the sale.

Lame.

..Al

This is exactly why I sell all my stuff on Amazon. :) There are still fees, but it's less then EBay. I have to double check to see how much Amazon takes, but I want to say around 5-10 percent. And at least they give you something for shipping.

If you think US to US shipping costs are bad, shipping from Canada to the US is insane and makes ebay a very costly service to use.

US to US shipping isn't that bad. US to anywhere else in the world (including Canada) now supremely sucks, as the USPS increased international rates by a supreme amount last month. Anything to Canada pretty much costs twice as much as it did previously. :(

..Al

No, eBay will end your auction if it contains a link to an external website that has a store. I used to have a link to AtariAge.com in my auctions, but had to take it out when they started ending them. I know you used to be allowed to have an email link so people can ask questions directly (bypassing eBay's restrictive message system that tries to prevent you from talking about selling outside of eBay), and that may stil be allowed as I've recently seen auctions with such links..

However, I can include whatever the heck I want inside my packages!

..Al

You can get around the link issue, by placing it into an image. ;)

I've been listing BINs in the Electronics category (usually Consumer Electronics-Vintage Electronics-Other), where the charge a 7% FVF up to $50 as opposed to the Video Game category, where it's 13%.

That's a huge savings. I wonder if that makes it more difficult for people to find your auctions. I nearly always search for the items I'm looking for, or browse through items a particular seller may have listed. I never browse through categories.

..Al

I've been listing BINs in the Electronics category (usually Consumer Electronics-Vintage Electronics-Other), where the charge a 7% FVF up to $50 as opposed to the Video Game category, where it's 13%.

Right I use to sell most of my stuff in video games systems (console) category as it falls in that electronics category, however now the listings gets all clustered wanting you to add a system and crap. I think you can still skip it though.

That's a huge savings. I wonder if that makes it more difficult for people to find your auctions. I nearly always search for the items I'm looking for, or browse through items a particular seller may have listed. I never browse through categories.

..Al

I may not be the world's most proficient Ebayer, but I rarely browse through categories, anyway. I always search by keyword(s). If I search for "Atari 400" it could be listed under Cooking Utensils and Housewares - and still come up, right?

The only time I start messing with the categories (limiting my search) is when I'm looking for, say, a particular laptop computer. 10,000 Chinese fake batteries and chargers come up. So then I have to narrow to "Computers/Tablets & Networking" and then 2,000 Chinese fake batteries and chargers are still mixed in. Then narrow to sub-category "Laptops & Netbooks." Finally, there's only a few hundred Chinese fake batteries and chargers, and lots of COMPUTERS.

But I always start with keyword, first. I'm afraid I'll MISS something, if I start inside a particular category, anyway. Presumably, a less-than-optimal categorization could be compensated for with a skillfully-worded TITLE that's loaded with proper keywords. The risk of potential buyers not seeing the listing (because of categorization) would only hurt in auction-style, where it can potentially sell cheap. For a "Buy It Now" listing, you can let it sit in the miscategorization indefinitely, until it sells.

Finally, for those who like to spout "If you don't like Ebay, don't use it." Thanks for the in-depth analysis and brilliant commentary. Some people have been using Ebay for years and years, and things have become progressively WORSE - to the point that it draws comments. Big surprise, eh? If there was an alternative resource to buy or sell the uncommon things we deal on Ebay, some of us would NOT use Ebay. For common items, there is the department store and Craigslist. For uncommon items there is not, or we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place. Everybody is entitled to voice their opinion on the state of things. It has become expensive and restrictive. That's the entire point. If it is mentioned, calling it "bitching" does nothing to advance an alternative [Ebay ass-kissing/juvenile know-it-all] viewpoint.

If you don't like Ebay, don't use it. If you don't like the stench of the pulp mill in your town, don't breathe. Equally silly. :lol:

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 8

They do not have competition and use this to their advantage. They raise fees and if they lose some customers then it's the cost of doing business. They're middlemen how could they justify fee hikes. I still use it to buy things but won't sell unless I absolutely feel I have to.

Edited by mehunglo

What happens to the Final Value Fee if you set the primary category to Electronics->Vintage Electronics->Other and then add Video Games as a Secondary Category?

..Al

Remember, the 13% FVF for videogames applies ONLY to fixed-price listings. You are better off listing auction-style and adding a Buy It Now option (free for now) and paying 9% for the FVF. For auction-style listings, 9% is the FVF regardless of which category you list under.

Edited by boxpressed

Remember, the 13% FVF for videogames applies ONLY to fixed-price listings. You are better off listing auction-style and adding a Buy It Now option (free for now) and paying 9% for the FVF. For auction-style listings, 9% is the FVF regardless of which category you list under.

Thank you, I appreciate the explanation. I need to spend some time looking through eBay's fee structure. I remember when it used to be simple, and there were only a few exceptions where things were different, such as for eBay Motors. I did move all my BIN auctions under Consumer Electronics, and I'll keep the auction-style listings under Video Games for now (although I did start one in Consumer Electronics as well).

..Al

No problem. Here's the link to eBay's fee structure: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

For instance, you might list the boxed Halo as an auction starting at $60. The BIN price would be $66 (the BIN has to be at least 10% more than the starting auction price).

You would pay no insertion fee (unless you listed more than 50 items in the month), nothing for BIN option, and a 9% FVF (plus 3% more to Paypal).

• Like 1

That's an interesting way of getting around the Insertion Fee for BIN items, at least for the first 50 auction-style items you list. I'll update those auctions when it comes time to relist them--since I already listed them, I've already been dinged the 50 cents per item. Not sure if revising them to auction-style with a BIN would negate the fee at this point.

Thank you,

..Al

It looks like the Final Value Fee is only 7% for Electronics, according to the Standard Selling Fees page you linked to. Am I missing something?

..Al

It looks like the Final Value Fee is only 7% for Electronics, according to the Standard Selling Fees page you linked to. Am I missing something?

..Al

Yes, that is still for fixed-price only listing (as if you had an online store). Scroll up a little bit and look for the table that says Basic fees for auction-style listings

Update: I think I see what you're saying. That it might be cheaper to list fixed-price under Electronics. Maybe. I'd have to do the calculations.

Edited by boxpressed

Well, these games can certainly be categorized as electronics, and eBay does let you list items in several categories. I'm still curious how the final value fees work when you list two different categories.

..Al

Right, the key there is that your titles are not in their precious "catalog." If a title IS in their catalog they will get you (or if they think it is) as you are REQUIRED to list it under video games using the catalog feature. If anybody goes in and adds a homebrew that you make to the eBay catalog they would get on your case as well. It's just a word of caution. They may auto detect a title containing "pac-man" and "2600" for example. It's all search algorithms and automatic removals. The strikes count against the policy compliance ratio on your my-ebay page, and after so many they can give you time off for presumed bad behavior. Even if they don't have a leg to stand on. The computers are doing the thinking, and they make mistakes. The eBay "everybody is essentially good" philosophy flew out the window when they got to big to have people manage it.

Well, these games can certainly be categorized as electronics, and eBay does let you list items in several categories. I'm still curious how the final value fees work when you list two different categories.

..Al

Doesn't matter. If ebay determines they should be in a category that pays them more money, that's the only thing they'll care about.

Doesn't matter. If ebay determines they should be in a category that pays them more money, that's the only thing they'll care about.

Indeed, eBay has become a dictator much like Amazon. They are NOT friendly. It would be wise to go slow and treat them like a hornets nest. I've dealt with them for 18 years as of this year, and sold a total of 26,000 items to date. It has been a journey. They are nothing at all like they were even 5 years ago. I don't even recognize the organization.

..Al

I believe dual categories duplicates fees, to some extent. It's not like 25 more cents, it's a duplicated FVF of some kind. I never use multiple categories, it's substantially more expensive.

Oh I have an eBay store and the fees are 20-25%. It's painful. But I have few options if I want to keep stuff moving. And it's surprisingly effective in the long run, especially if you are selling low demand stuff.

Most regular eBay sellers are waiting for eBay to fall. Amazing how the cost to sell only climbs when the cost to run this kind of an operation only drops. The idea most certainly is, make as much as you can for the almighty shareholders, and back down with fees if market dominance is in doubt.

I hate to compare Amazon to eBay because Amazon at least pushes forwards, offering more and more over time and evolving. eBay is all web 1.0. I have never seen an eBay upgrade or change that I have liked more than the previous iteration. eBay is the least innovative well known successful company around.

Back around '98, I was selling used books like crazy on ebay and making a killing. Partially because the fees weren't too bad at the time, but also because it wasn't overcrowded with books (or anything else), and it was very easy and quick to list. Last year, I sold two lots of books and about lost my shirt, both in time and money. Not worth it, haven't sold anything on ebay since. Ebay used to be a beautiful thing, now I call it BIN-bay.