I've started this in the main Inty section because I think some people are probably afraid of venturing into the programming section . At the end of last year I set myself a goal of releasing a homebrew Inty game on cart in 2013. Well... This is it :-
Its provisionally called "Rocketeer". The objective of the game is to collect the 5 pieces of your rocket and assemble it while dealing with the aliens on the planet you crashed on. Luckily you have your trusty laser cannon to blow them away with. After the rocket is complete and ready for flight you need to collect several fuel pods before you can complete your mission and leave the planet. Bonus items will fall down the screen randomly and can be collected for extra points. Every 4 levels you'll get a new rocket to build. I'm aiming for 4 or 5 different rockets so that'll be 16-20 levels in total.
Most of the core game elements are already in place. I still need to do :-
- A better title page - done.
- Attract sequence (title/high scores/credits) - done.
- Add more frames of player animation - done.
- Add player/baddie collision detect and get the player lives/death system working - done.
- Add falling fuel pods and their collection - done.
- Add falling bonus items and their collection - done.
- Add rocket take off animation - done.
- Add rocket landing animation - done.
- Add more baddie graphics - done.
- Add more baddies attack/movement patterns - done.
- Add more rockets - done.
- Get the score and high score system working - done.
- Add sound effects - done
- Add title page music - done.
- Add difficulty levels - done.
- Randomise the placement of rocket parts - done.
- 5 name and their high scores display - done.
- Intermission screen after rocket launch - done.
- Add a more interesting planet surface - done.
- Fix a few bugs - done (bar anything new) .
- Speech (needs more research and depends on ROM space) - not implemented.
- Add a few small stars in the background (depends on free RAM space) - not implemented.
I have a graphic artist on board the project so the programmer art will soon be replaced .
It'll be a cart only release so there is NO manual, overlays or box.
Finally I'd like to say thanks to sh3-rg for the "spacey" digits and letters font. Hopefully you'll see more of that in the rest of the game.
Added 05/03/13 - Shooting left/right
<---- Click to animate
Added 05/03/13 - Collecting fuel pods
<---- Click to animate
Teaser ROM #1 - Released 07/03/13
The teaser game ROM has been tested on :-
PAL/NTSC - Tested on both types of machine using CC3s.
jzintv - Works as expected. Use F6 to map left control to fire and the cursor keys for movement.
jzintv4droid - I haven't tested on it personally but no issues are reported.
jzintvwii - I haven't tested on it personally but no issues are reported.
Nostalgia v5.0 - Works as expected. The default key mapping of Nostalgia uses the Home, Delete or PgDn keys for fire in conjunction with the cursor keys to move.
Bliss v2.0.5 - Issues with some parts of the game.
Rocketeer_Teaser_ROM#1.rom 12.56KB 536 downloads
Added 09/03/17 - Release candidate #1 (RC1) video
PRE-ORDER CLOSED 01/04/2013