IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC Season 5.8: Venture

Deteacher

Never played the arcade version of this before, and just about the only thing I remember about the 2600 version is that it came in one of those weird looking Coleco cartridges.

Played a few credits last night. The controls are freakin' horrifying. And it's quite maddening when a pixel of your bow touches a dead enemy that is taking like 45 seconds to disappear, and you die. I wonder how many Venture cabinets had fists put through their glass? I only played for a few minutes and I was ready to donkey punch my MAME cabinet.

Ahhhh!!! It is literally torture playing this fn game. If I deemed it necessary to quit playing video games for some reason, I would lock myself in a 4 foot by 4 foot cubicle and force myself to play Venture for 8 hours straight. After such agony and annoyance I would have no choice, I would have to quit!!

Don't you just love the delayed controls? Aren't they great? Oh, and how about that little pause in movement every time you change directions? That's an even better feature this game has.

What about when you exit a room and a big goon-like head gets you because he's sitting RIGHT next to the door? I love it when I die that way!!

But I think the best thing in this game is when you're in striking distance of an enemy, you aim and shoot and your enemy scurries away, making it absolutely impossible to hit him. I love it when that happens.

In all honesty, I find Venture for the Atari 2600 was ten times more enjoyable than this crappy arcade version.

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I played a few rounds tonight and the controls and jumpy characters are driving me up a wall. I know I'm not the best player in the world, but this game is pretty frustrating. Although I like the idea of the game so I'll keep trying until I get some score, at least somewhat decent, to post. Even bad pizza's pretty good?

I am hating the enemies in this game, even when you kill them they are still in the way. Games still pretty fun though. I like how the rooms zoom in from the overworld and that the main character seems to be just a tiny red dot until you zoom in and see what a ruffian it truly is.

High- 9270

post-34981-0-75964500-1361971073_thumb.png

I am hating the enemies in this game, even when you kill them they are still in the way. Games still pretty fun though. I like how the rooms zoom in from the overworld and that the main character seems to be just a tiny red dot until you zoom in and see what a ruffian it truly is.

High- 9270

Who are you calling a ruffian?

And the enemies in this game are clearly dodging your shots. Grrrrrrr. I don't remember that from the ColecoVision version, but I'll have to try that again. Maybe I never played it on the hard setting when I was a little kid.

Ok. I finally pasted the 3rd level! You get a nice Bonus. I finished with a 6x bonus to the tune of 25k! I had 40k at the end of the level. The 4th level is where a loop starts. Same layout as level 1. Same enemies. Everything moves faster. I almost cleared level 3 on my 1st attempt. I was exiting the last room when the skull caught up to me.

AND! I got an another extra man at 40k and 60k.

B

post-29567-0-82565200-1362063536_thumb.png

post-29567-0-68883200-1362063545_thumb.png

Edited by bigbee99

Ok. I finally pasted the 3rd level! You get a nice Bonus. I finished with a 6x bonus to the tune of 25k! I had 40k at the end of the level. The 4th level is where a loop starts. Same layout as level 1. Same enemies. Everything moves faster. I almost cleared level 3 on my 1st attempt. I was exiting the last room when the skull caught up to me.

AND! I got an another extra man at 40k and 60k.

B

Nice score for this game.

post-3346-0-96478200-1362187314_thumb.png

The trolls are a REAL pain in my ass. I just BARELY cleared that room the second time.

As for my bonus, straight from my new Taito Type X2 loader:

SPICA ADVENTURE!

post-3346-0-43480200-1362187410_thumb.jpg

BTW, if you have a good enough PC(at least a dual core) and can find the ROM, I suggest giving this a try. It's a cutesy platformer.

Bonus ---- The Adventures of Bayou Billy ; Nintendo (Konami)

Otherwise known as.....

post-3346-0-96586800-1362188633_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

In all honesty, I find Venture for the Atari 2600 was ten times more enjoyable than this crappy arcade version.

I just finished playing some Atari 2600 Venture--a game I haven't played (or seen) since approximately 1986 (@M.O.: I figure I never played it again after we got the 7800).

I never thought I'd see the day that I'd find a game other than Space Invaders where I prefer the Atari 2600 port over the arcade original, but here it is. The 2600 version is actually quite faithful to the arcade, but your character doesn't pause every time you change directions and the dead enemies don't take 45 minutes to disappear. These two factors alone make the experience so much less excruciating. In typical 2600 fashion, there are only 2 level designs that keep repeating, but the gameplay itself--at least to me--feels much more polished than the arcade version. The graphics aren't too far off, either. I'd never played the arcade version until now, and I must say, I have a new appreciation for the 2600 port.

Edited by Cynicaster
  • Like 2

Wow! Great score, Johnnny! We also welcome a new player...Mingo Jongo! Welcome aboard! :)

In spite of the toughness and crappy controls, it's been a great week for competition. All scores and bonuses have been updated...now to start working on next week's game, which will be posted shortly.

Game on! :)

Yeah, that score was the subject of many games just to get used to the controls. I thought it used a 4-way, but nope. It uses an 8-way. I wish there was a hack for this that allowed for smoother and faster character movement like in the Colecovision version. That was a lot of my trouble in the early games I played of it before getting that score: the jerking motion of the character, the fact that you have to move your character and aim with the same joystick at the same time, and the inaccuracy of the arrows. But, unfortunately as was said earlier in this thread I believe, you get used to the joystick after a while and just try and stick to running and dodging rather than shooting.

But, the second Troll room is what made me go from three lives down to one and I was lucky to pass it the tenth game that I played of it. I found that you have to aim your character diagonally just enough when you enter at the bottom that you can tap away at the fire button and you'll get the first troll. Then, it's a circle around(the pattern on this varies) to shoot the other one. By now, that big monster will be in there. Grab the treasure and DO NOT GO STRAIGHT OUT! HE WILL GET YOU! Just circle around the room until you have time and clearance enough to leave. It's hard to pull off, but it can be done.

• Like 1

Yeah, that score was the subject of many games just to get used to the controls. I thought it used a 4-way, but nope. It uses an 8-way. I wish there was a hack for this that allowed for smoother and faster character movement like in the Colecovision version.

I thought the same thing at first. It plays almost as if the programmer intended it to be a 4-way game, but made it 8-way at the last second. It could just be an illusion but it seems like you move quicker when you move diagonally, in the same way the UFO's in Asteroids do when they move diagonally. They keep the same horizontal speed no matter what, so if they add a vertical component to that, they speed up.