IGNORED

Season 6 Round 14 - Q*bert's Qubes

Ikrananka

Q*bert's Qubes

post-5757-0-91040800-1361661076_thumb.png

From the "qrazy" creators of the ever-popular Q*bert comes a different chip off the old block . . . Q*bert's Qubes!

This time out, Q*bert hops around suspended qubes that actually rotate as he goes. It's a colorful job! Match to blue on one side . . . now quickly . . . match to green on another. Hit the target colors and win the round!

Sound easy? Not with the likes of Rat-a-tat-tat the dirty rat in pursuit. Or flat-footed Meltniks, plummeting Purple Balls, and Shady-eyed Shoobops!

There are bonus rounds that keep things rolling and difficulty leveles of unquestionable challenge.

Thoroughly captivating and irresistibly funny. Q*bert's Qubes is one blockbuster of a game!

Game Information

Game Name: Q*bert's Qubes

Released by: Parker Brothers, 1984

Original arcade game by: Mylstar, 1983

CV HSC High Score: 224,845 by atariron82

TwinGalaxies High Score: Website Down

Settings: Skill 1

This game was suggested by: Northcoastgamer

Contest Ends

Saturday, 9 March 2013 at 1:00AM EST

Contest Rules

The HSC rules can be found here

Final High Scores

1. Northcoastgamer 386,430 [+100]

2. jblenkle 349,705 [+90]

3. atariron82 229,550 [+59]

4. chuckwalla 159,710 [+41]

5. ed1475 89,070 [+23]

6. darthkur 55,135 [+14]

7. roadrunner 49,850 [+13]

8. Manoau2002 26,100 [+7]

9. wolfman24 16,110 [+4]

Leaderboard

1. Northcoastgamer [682] (7) 6

2. jblenkle [607] (13) 1

3. ed1475 [489] (13) 1 1

4. skosh [403] (9)

5. roadrunner [318] (13)

6. darthkur [290] (6)

7. Ikrananka [260] (7)

8. Darrin9999 [243] (11) 1

9. JEFF31 [234] (7)

10. NE146 [200] (2) 2

11. Mangia-Boy [164] (2) 1 1

12. Liduario [144] (7)

13. patbb [141] (3) 1

14. WispFollower [119] (3)

15. atariaddict82 [101] (5)

16. ChuckH [98] (2)

17. craigm71 [97] (3)

18. Manoau2002 [90] (2)

19. gavvv [85] (1)

20. atariron82 [76] (2)

21. sean49938 [74] (2)

22. kelman66 [66] (4)

23. mc#4 [65] (3)

24. sega_SHARK [15] (1)

25. Mister VCS [2] (1)

[ ] = Points

( ) = Rounds Played

BLUE = Rounds Won

GOLD = Seasons Won

Q*Bert's Qubes - 82,255

I will post a screenshot later...the forum isn't letting me upload it for some reason.

Also, there may be a problem with this game locking up...I've tried two different roms and although they play fine sometimes, other times they have locked up on me...

I will try on real hardware next...

EDIT: Rom locked up on real hardware too...

Edited by jblenkle

Q*Bert's Qubes - 128,520

post-9212-0-23891100-1361733487_thumb.png

Finally got it to upload...apparently the new AtariAge setup doesn't like spaces and possibly special characters in the file name.

joe's q2 - 128,520.png (wouldn't upload)

joesq2-128520.png (uploaded okay)

Finally got several games in a row with no lockups...anyone else have any problems?

Edited by jblenkle

Here is a fresh dump of the Q*bert's Qubes cartridge that will hopefully solve any issues with previously available rom dumps. I had three rom dumps of this game for years with only the 12K file size dump being listed as "Good". The other 2 dumps, which are 16K, were listed as "Overdump" and "Overdump/Bad" respectively. I would venture a guess that the rom dump that I just made should resolve any problems.

Qbert's Qubes (1984) (Parker Brothers).zip

Unfortunately this one also locks up...I've played it five times now and it's locked up three times...I have no idea why it plays fine sometimes and others it locks up...I never remember having this problem before, but I also never played very deep into the game using a rom image...it seems to just be a hit or miss problem...

Here is a fresh dump of the Q*bert's Qubes cartridge that will hopefully solve any issues with previously available rom dumps. I had three rom dumps of this game for years with only the 12K file size dump being listed as "Good". The other 2 dumps, which are 16K, were listed as "Overdump" and "Overdump/Bad" respectively. I would venture a guess that the rom dump that I just made should resolve any problems.

Unfortunately this one also locks up...I've played it five times now and it's locked up three times...I have no idea why it plays fine sometimes and others it locks up...I never remember having this problem before, but I also never played very deep into the game using a rom image...it seems to just be a hit or miss problem...

The correct test would be to do it on a colecovision because you are waisting your time wondering about a good or bad dump if this problem is also happening on a colecovsion then it is a bug in the program.

I've switched my SD Cart to my ColecoVision (from my ADAM) and so far after six plays, no lockups. It might be an ADAM specific problem then.

EDIT -- Whoops! Spoke too soon...game locked up on my eighth play.

The correct test would be to do it on a colecovision because you are waisting your time wondering about a good or bad dump if this problem is also happening on a colecovsion then it is a bug in the program.

Edited by jblenkle

I don't quite understand why anyone would post a rom "Overdump/Bad"...if it's bad, why bother?

I've switched my SD Cart to my ColecoVision (from my ADAM) and so far after six plays, no lockups. It might be an ADAM specific problem then.

EDIT -- Whoops! Spoke too soon...game locked up on my eighth play.

Yeah so if it froze on coleco too then maybe it is just not as prevelant of a bug or the SD cart is working its magic in covering up the problem like we have seen before.

I guess the only thing I can say is if you are going to play it a lot more then a good idea would be to write down exactly what was happening, score, any kind of things on the screen when it happens so that later you can look back at all the times it freezes and see if there is a pattern for someone to try and fix.

I am not seeing any pattern at all...it's happened anywhere from just after I start the game up to Level 4-2 which I think is the farthest I've gotten in the game. As I haven't had a real cartridge of this for years, I can only go off the roms I have. It's frozen up using emulators on my PC, as well as in both my ADAM and ColecoVision using the Ultimate SD cart. I've tried several different roms with the same result. I even pulled out an old ADAM disk form the 80s from which I had used MMSG's CopyCart+ 2.0 to copy the cart to a disk and it locked up in that one too. I may see if I have it saved in CP/M format and try that one. I know Super Cobra worked in CP/M where as it wouldn't work on the ADAM as a regularly saved game.

Yeah so if it froze on coleco too then maybe it is just not as prevelant of a bug or the SD cart is working its magic in covering up the problem like we have seen before.

I guess the only thing I can say is if you are going to play it a lot more then a good idea would be to write down exactly what was happening, score, any kind of things on the screen when it happens so that later you can look back at all the times it freezes and see if there is a pattern for someone to try and fix.

I am not seeing any pattern at all...it's happened anywhere from just after I start the game up to Level 4-2 which I think is the farthest I've gotten in the game. As I haven't had a real cartridge of this for years, I can only go off the roms I have. It's frozen up using emulators on my PC, as well as in both my ADAM and ColecoVision using the Ultimate SD cart. I've tried several different roms with the same result. I even pulled out an old ADAM disk form the 80s from which I had used MMSG's CopyCart+ 2.0 to copy the cart to a disk and it locked up in that one too. I may see if I have it saved in CP/M format and try that one. I know Super Cobra worked in CP/M where as it wouldn't work on the ADAM as a regularly saved game.

Well I mean more than just round. You have to get extremely detailed in order to notice a pattern.

For instance, you are about to jump on same specific block or there are always multiple bad guys in a certain area when it happens or you are about to do something that has to give you a certain amount of points.

I mean real detailed. That is the only way to see if there is a noticable pattern.

For instance we noticed one of the Burgertime bugs seem to happen if you try and kill more than 1 bad guy on a bun as your last board ending bun after a certain score level is reached. If you don't do that then you don't run into that particular bug that freezes the game.

I would say it's more difficult than the original. There are 25 cubes in the playfield and you have to line up rows with matching colors. You start off with having to just match one color, but eventually you have to match all three visible sides of the cube. and you start off with only doing one row, but that number increases at later levels. It's almost kind of Rubic's Cube-like. When you jump from cube to cube, they rotate, showing the color on the other side.

So I have never played qberts qubes how different or how hard is it compared to the original qbert?

I don't quite understand why anyone would post a rom "Overdump/Bad"...if it's bad, why bother?

Over the years, many people have dumped the cartridge via either an ADAM cart copy programs (CopyCart, MultiCart Backup, SmartBASIC cart dumper program, CP/M cart dumper program, etc.), a card edge reader or probably even by removing the Proms from the cart PCB and using a Prom Dumper. So with that being said, I'm sure there were many different dumps floating around the Internet and the guys behind the GoodRom Utility finally settled on the two 16K versions that we are included in the GoodRom/GoodCol database. Later, they would have come across the 12K version, which proved to be the correct size, and renamed the 16K versions as Overdumps or Bad.

To really know if there is a bug in Q*brert's Qubes, someone with the actual cart will have to spend some time playing it to see if they experience any issues. They can use either an ADAM or a CV, but it would probably be best to start with a CV. If any issues are expeienced, then they will have their hands full testing out the game as ColecoDan suggests. It's really not a lot of fun, beta testing that is, especially for a released game after all these years which the strong possibility that any bugs found will go unfixed (unless Nanochess has some free time :P ).

I haven't even playe the final version of a couple recent games I was honored to beta test to see if the bugs/issues I found were fixed.. but I'm pretty sure they were.

Edited by NIAD

I still get lines at the top of the game on BlueMSX

Maybe it's a emulator bug.

New score 49,850

post-22103-0-93787200-1361856677_thumb.png