IGNORED

SNES emulation is stupid

atari2600land

Why do so many SNES emulators not do SNES files and instead do Super Famicom files? I found a SNES emulator that actually works on my computer, but it's in Spanish and mentions Game-Genie (which is what I want) in this passage that Babelfish cannot translate.

"- Game-Genie, Repetición de Acción y los códigos de timo de Gold finger."

And, of course, MESS won't work because god forbid anything be easy. :mad:

Dude, first off, the reason for using .sfc, is because the Japanese system was called, "Super Famicom." It makes more sense. Plus, I don't know why people still recommend ZSNES, when SNES9x and bsnes are MUCH more accurate. /rant

We can argue Z is better than X. Or we can understand some games run better on some emulators. Welcome to computer software.

If you have an older computer then try SNES9X. If you have a newer computer then I recommend a later version of BSNES such as .086. BSNES has since become 'Higan", but I've never tried Higan. BSNES is the most accurate SNES emulator by miles, but accuracy doesn't mean much if you get constant frame rate dips and audio crackling.

I have an older 2.5ghz Dual Core computer and I can play most SNES games at full speed with BSNES version .086 unless it's like a Super FX or SA-1 game. For those I can use SNES9X or version .070 of BSNES with the Performance core.

BSNES now has 100% compatibility with all games which is crazy.

ZSNES is way outdated, but it still plays most popular games okay.

My best computer can run the accuracy core at only half speed, but that's just because it's from 2007. It can still run the balanced core at full speed, with some games faster than Snes9x, such as Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension, running at 45 FPS on bsnes, and 15 FPS on Snes9x.

Meh, choice and options are a good thing, your experience and preference will vary, that is the idea, run what works best for you.

In principle that's true, but a lot of ROM hacks, translation patches, etc. were only tested on ZSNES, and don't run on real hardware or on other emulators. That's unacceptable from both sides of the coin: emulator-specific ROM hacks are basically a form of pollution, and an emulator that encourages that is potentially doing more harm than good.

There are also more than a few commercially released games that get completely screwed up by poor emulation, sometimes in really insidious ways. This might be an interesting read, if you haven't seen it before.

More broadly, inaccurate emulation can sabotage the efforts of homebrew coders who don't understand why something that should work on real hardware, doesn't work in emulation -- or vice versa. And it has a tendency to distort the historical picture, since if the emulator author doesn't properly emulate the timing of the original hardware, it can make a good game look like a piece of crap -- or again, vice versa -- and can also make a system seem worse or better than it really was. It might seem like a good thing to get rid of SNES slowdowns, etc., but in practice I think the negatives generally outweigh the positives.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hahaha @ this thread.

If you have a newer computer then I recommend a later version of BSNES such as .086. BSNES has since become 'Higan", but I've never tried Higan.

I used to have the same problem with the later versions of BSNES, but Higan seems to address that. With the "balanced" core, I get 60fps solid on just about everything.

Try it out, I think you'll be surprised.

• 2 weeks later...