IGNORED

New Tunnels of Doom games

Shift838

I have created various ones. Such as set in medieval times, zombies of course and future past scenarios. Total of 9 games at this point. Getting ready to try my hand at text adventures for the Adventure Cart and XB with my own adventure interpreter.

Text adventures are pretty easy once you generate a map and your rules. They obviously have tons of data, which can be quite constraining in ~16k. An interesting idea, especially with leveraging a compiler would be to have the interpreter automagically handle abbreviations for example, every time it saw a "t" as a word, it would replace it with "the". Could be smart, too, to automatically handle "t" as "the" and "T" as "The".

The Adventure Editor is pretty cool, but you run out of memory fast unless you keep your expectations scaled down...

You only have around 12k of data space for the adventure. It's not easy to crunch the numbers, but the old Scott Adams adventures consumed 70-80% of it by way of comparison. So figure around 20-30 rooms, maybe 100 objects, 100 verbs/nouns, etc.

One of the later Asgard text adventures, Castle Darkholm, was disappointing because they had VERY long and grandiose location names and messages. Which made the adventure very short and simplistic.

Conversely, you have a complex and nuanced adventure like Knight Ironheart, which I STILL haven't figured out how to win after 28 years... Even studying the code in the editor didn't help.

Adamantyr

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's the TOD dsk image from the TI Gameshelf site. It includes 9 different adventures, including Star Trek, Assault the City, Tomb of Death and Space Mine.

Thank you. For some reason, I can't DL directly from the TI Gameshelf site.

I'm still having problems getting this to load. I'm guessing that I do not need the ToD cartridge (I do have it)? With the XB cartridge in, here's what happens to me:

1. Press 1 for TI Basic

2. CALL MOUNT (1,2) -- TOD.DSK is in Volume 2

3. QUIT to return to title screen

4. Press 2 for Extended Basic

5. GPL screen, Press 1 for Tunnels of Doom

6. New menu screen with 3 options: 1 for TI Basic, 2 for Extended Basic, 3 for Tunnels of Doom (I press 3)

7. Tunnels of Doom title screen

8. Load data from 1 Cassette, 2 Disk 1, 3 Other (I press 2)

9. Asks for filename. I enter TOD.DSK

10. I get File Error 7, "Working" comes on the screen, and the border changes color.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any advice.

Thank you. For some reason, I can't DL directly from the TI Gameshelf site.

I'm still having problems getting this to load. I'm guessing that I do not need the ToD cartridge (I do have it)? With the XB cartridge in, here's what happens to me:

1. Press 1 for TI Basic

2. CALL MOUNT (1,2) -- TOD.DSK is in Volume 2

3. QUIT to return to title screen

4. Press 2 for Extended Basic

5. GPL screen, Press 1 for Tunnels of Doom

6. New menu screen with 3 options: 1 for TI Basic, 2 for Extended Basic, 3 for Tunnels of Doom (I press 3)

7. Tunnels of Doom title screen

8. Load data from 1 Cassette, 2 Disk 1, 3 Other (I press 2)

9. Asks for filename. I enter TOD.DSK

10. I get File Error 7, "Working" comes on the screen, and the border changes color.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any advice.

How about "DSK1.TOD"?

...lee