IGNORED

Anyone with experience with interfacing to the Raspberry Pi

barnieg

Apart from trying to get the Raspberry to fit a 2600 jr without hacking away to much of it, I have been looking at wiring up some Atari joystick ports with the GPIO method of which there are a few documented options out there.

At the moment I using a ps2 keyboard mouse adapter in one usb port and the other port for a usb to midi interface. I don't want to overload with to many options so was considering the options of a GPIO board with more features, I've come across some examples of expanding the capabilities of the breakout board using a cpld +i2c combination.

Examples I've thought of are an FPGA, some original 8 bit chips such as TIA+6502/6507. Ideally Jeri Ellsworth would get her stockpile of chips on the market!

https://twitter.com/...325244607832066

Either that or Curt bring out a flashback 2 breakout board with the 2600 on a chip.

Anyway possible problems with this? Would the GPIO be fast enough to handle the data transfer?

Finally Why?

1. Just Because 2. Raspberry Pi is gaining a lot of interest 2. An 8-bit type system interface to the Pi might make for a nice intro system educationally

Any thoughts?

I am thinking of adding a powered hub as well, but also considering making a more effective hybrid emulator + the GPIO stuff is easier (I think) to get my head around. End result would be an authentic dual system in one mode the Raspberry pit can access the features of the breakout board but in the other mode the raspberry pi would be a slave processor system to the 8-bit system almost like a turbocharged harmony cart or another analogy would be similar to the tube co-processor of the BBC B micros.