IGNORED

Red Sea Crossing - gameplay help

IHATETHEBEARS

Have any of you spent some time playing this game? If so, can anyone tell me how to get past this board? It's somewhere around the 37th board. I can't jump over the snake, nor can I run under it. Does anyone have any idead? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

That is the first area where you can use the "kneel and pray" action. You got the Amiga Joyboard with your copy of the game, right?

• Like 1

Have any of you spent some time playing this game? If so, can anyone tell me how to get past this board? It's somewhere around the 37th board. I can't jump over the snake, nor can I run under it. Does anyone have any idead? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Yep, the snake and sea monsters combination can be quite frustrating.

You can run underneath the snake, but timing is everything.

Stand in between the monster heads as close to the snake's head as possible and wait for the best moment to run underneath.

It can be done.

Here's my high score, btw:

post-6203-0-48094800-1362909938_thumb.gif

No hidden Ark found, though...

I don't think this game hides more surprises than the dove, the tablets and the staff.

IMO all geme elements are already shown on the game's front label.

But who knows...

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Yep, the snake and sea monsters combination can be quite frustrating.

You can run underneath the snake, but timing is everything.

Stand in between the monster heads as close to the snake's head as possible and wait for the best moment to run underneath.

It can be done.

Here's my high score, btw:

post-6203-0-48094800-1362909938_thumb.gif

No hidden Ark found, though...

I don't think this game hides more surprises than the dove, the tablets and the staff.

IMO all geme elements are already shown on the game's front label.

But who knows...

8)

You're right. It can be done. Thanks for the help. Nice score BTW. I ended up in the 21,000 range.

I'm not sure exactly why. But I'm finding this game rather addicting.

If they have the ability to dump the cartridge, sure. But it'd be looked down upon.

Why would people be looked down upon for sharing? Atari4You made the reproductions to give other gamers the ability to play the game when he could have hoarded it. Why would those who benefited from his generosity be looked down upon for emulating his generosity?

Why would people be looked down upon for sharing? Atari4You made the reproductions to give other gamers the ability to play the game when he could have hoarded it. Why would those who benefited from his generosity be looked down upon for emulating his generosity?

Because reproductions (made by others) would show up on ebay at ridiculous prices. He obviously didn't want the ROM released, otherwise he would have just done that himself. I don't necessarily agree with keeping the ROM from people, but that's what the people who released this and many other games want.

Because reproductions (made by others) would show up on ebay at ridiculous prices. He obviously didn't want the ROM released, otherwise he would have just done that himself. I don't necessarily agree with keeping the ROM from people, but that's what the people who released this and many other games want.

BUT the guys who own the original carts are not the programmers or copyright holders. Would it not be up to Steve Stack whether it is released or even if repros are made?? That would be like me buying a copy of a rare hollywood film and then claiming because of that I hold all copyrights to distribution.

BUT the guys who own the original carts are not the programmers or copyright holders. Would it not be up to Steve Stack whether it is released or even if repros are made?? That would be like me buying a copy of a rare hollywood film and then claiming because of that I hold all copyrights to distribution.

I agree, and Steve did at one point say he considered making copies stealing:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/113497-help-information-on-red-sea-crossing/page__st__75#entry1372138

Of course we don't know if the they got the clear to reproduce it. Either way, we should respect the wishes of the people behind the reproduction because they perform a valuable service to the community.

• Like 1

If a few bad apples make reproductions and sell them at ridiculous prices then they should be looked down on and not the person who shared it for free.

He specifically stated that the reason he created the reproductions was because he just wanted other gamers to be able to play the game,"I can always hoard the game and not let anybody else play it. I am collector and a hobbyist, I just want other gamers to be able to play the game." He did release it but just did it in the form of producing a reproduction. Who wouldn't want to do it that way? That would be fun.

From all the legal talk about if a reproduction would be possible and him offering to give Steve Stack royalties, I think most likely he didn't release the ROM because of those concerns, maybe a little bit of a concern that less people would purchase a reproduction, and the concern you have about corrupt eBay sellers. But he did say that he just wanted other gamers to be able to play the game and if someone else released the ROM the concerns above wouldn't apply to him. Those concerns would just be the concerns of the person who releases it.

• Like 1

I agree, and Steve did at one point say he considered making copies stealing:

http://www.atariage....75#entry1372138

Of course we don't know if the they got the clear to reproduce it. Either way, we should respect the wishes of the people behind the reproduction because they perform a valuable service to the community.

I bet the producers of the majority of the games that have been dumped would consider it stealing. My Harmony Cart and installation of Stella is full of "theft" and I bet the majority of everyone else's are too. This forum is full of "pirates". It doesn't make much sense to me for pirates to look down on other pirates based on what land they want to rape and what women they want to pillage. It's like believing in the concept of intellectual property while simultaneously believing the opposite. How do we pick and choose what gets pirated? I think we need some official pirate code to clear this stuff up because it is all confusing.

I agree that they perform a valuable service to the community but I don't see how dumping a ROM would prevent them from continuing their service. People simultaneously release ROMs of homebrews and sell them on carts. People dump old era ROMs and people still buy old era carts. I don't see why it couldn't work with reproductions of old era carts. They can do both.

Those who dump ROMs also provide a valuable service. Rom Hunter's collection and all the homebrews that have been dumped wouldn't exist without this valuable service. Those who otherwise couldn't play these games now can. Games are meant to be played. There are gamers who would like to be able to play it and can't because it hasn't been dumped. I can think of reasons for it not to be dumped like your eBay example but I can't think of any reason that trumps gamers getting access to games.

If not a free dump I think at least sandmountainslim's idea of Atari4You selling the ROM should be considered. Or even DeusExMachina selling ROMs. He didn't get to make a reproduction. That could be his reproduction. There are people who use emulation only or just a Harmony Cart. Not releasing the ROM is almost like discrimination in favor of collectors. Everyone doesn't consider themselves collectors but everyone considers themselves gamers. We aren't a community of collectors but of gamers. That should be our primary focus. If we are leaving people out then there is no community.

It just doesn't make sense to me. People have been interested in this game since it was found. Why should only a handful of us get to enjoy it? It just doesn't seem right to limit access. It's not like it is secret information that can't be released because of national security reasons. It's a game and there are gamers who are interested. If scummy eBay sellers is such a big concern then it could be released to people through private messaging instead of posted online. If being looked down upon is strong enough motivation to prevent us with carts from releasing it then the same would apply to those who receive the ROM in a private message.

• Like 3

I agree that they perform a valuable service to the community but I don't see how dumping a ROM would prevent them from continuing their service. People simultaneously release ROMs of homebrews and sell them on carts. People dump old era ROMs and people still buy old era carts. I don't see why it couldn't work with reproductions of old era carts. They can do both.

... Games are meant to be played. There are gamers who would like to be able to play it and can't because it hasn't been dumped. ...

I have a big problem with the people that hoard games - especially games that they did not create themselves. Some of the original big game companies still want to protect their old 2600 property (Atari, Activision, etc) and release compilations and "emulators" for newer consoles. Most of the smaller game producers don't care. In many cases the company doesn't even exist any longer.

I think Sydric, myself and The Personal Computer Museum took the best approach when we obtained Extra Terrestrials. We tracked down the original owners and got permission to distribute the game. We made a limited run of reproductions to support the museum, a registered charity. Once the reproductions were sold we freely released the ROM for everyone to enjoy. It was a winning combination for everyone. Serious collectors got a nice, boxed game. A charity made some money. Atari enthusiasts everywhere get to play a long lost game - for free.

Personally, I would love to try out games like Red Sea Crossing, Good Luck Charlie Brown and The Pink Panther. Come on hoarders. Share with your fellow Atari fans. Please.

• Like 10

I wanted a cart at the time but due to financial difficulties and three kids I could not afford the asking fee. I could afford $5 for a rom download and would willingly pay it so I am not advocating a free download. If someone did this it would not be a question of piracy for reproductions were made and released for sale and anyone who bought a copy could easily create their own. For a lot of us on here we cant always afford to pay the full asking price for a limited run cart (Turbo a prime example, would love to own it but I just cant afford it). I was only able to get a copy of GLCB due to the understanding and great patience of Wonder007 (a very great guy) but he is a rarity for others would not be willing to wait and why should they? Someone mentioned that unscrupulous ebayers could make a fortune by releasing reproductions on ebay but what is to stop others who bought the original run to do the same? There are are a lot of us out there who would love to play this game and some would be tempted to pay an insane price to do so as there is little chance of getting a copy but if there was an opportunity to purchase the rom for a fair price then surely that would negate the temptation of the pirates? ;)

• Like 1