IGNORED

Red Sea Crossing - gameplay help

IHATETHEBEARS

I think Sydric, myself and The Personal Computer Museum took the best approach when we obtained Extra Terrestrials. We tracked down the original owners and got permission to distribute the game. We made a limited run of reproductions to support the museum, a registered charity. Once the reproductions were sold we freely released the ROM for everyone to enjoy. It was a winning combination for everyone. Serious collectors got a nice, boxed game. A charity made some money. Atari enthusiasts everywhere get to play a long lost game - for free.

Well, if a third copy of Red Sea Crossing surfaces and you start a fundraising campaign to acquire it, I'll contribute. Or perhaps you could start fundraising now to go after one of the 2 known copies. :ponder:

Well, if a third copy of Red Sea Crossing surfaces and you start a fundraising campaign to acquire it, I'll contribute. Or perhaps you could start fundraising now to go after one of the 2 known copies. :ponder:

The Personal Computer Museum is a non-profit charity. We can't afford to pay high collector prices for rare items. Any fundraising that we do is used to support ongoing museum operations and day to day costs - electricity, heat, insurance, etc. All of our staff are volunteers.

Now if someone would like to donate a copy to the museum we would be happy to accept it.

Thanks for responding, but I'm confused. Does your non-profit status limit the kind of fundraising you can do? What is the difference between someone donating a cartridge and a group donating money so that you can buy it?

Zach, we are not restricted in how we can raise funds. The Personal Computer Museum is relatively small. Any fundraising that we do and any donations that we receive are better used for more general purposes. We simply could not justify allocating a large portion of our income to obtaining one rare item.

I just finished reading this thread and I must be missing something...

• RSC sold at auction for somewhere in the neighborhood of $15K
  • Almost immediately after the purchase, Atari4You started a pre-order for both cart-only and CIB copies.
  • 125 or so were sold for $50 or less (that's less than $6000 gross sales...not profit)

So, based on the above details, RSC was completely and immediately made available to everyone interested, by Atari4You (no hoarding whatsoever). Also, these repro's were of amazing quality! Personally, I consider this a very generous move, as not even a third of the cost was recouped.

The repro carts are now out there, so they could easily have been dumped by the first buyer...therefore diluting the value of the original. As soon as someone like Hozer gets their hands on the ROM, the crappy bogus copies will start to appear on eBay. What is worse, there are many other, highly capable scammers out there who are likely to flood eBay with damned near perfect fakes. Just look at all of the TCM and Halloween fakes on eBay these days...this cart is an easy one to fake as well. High-res scans of the original label are out there on the web now...what would stop these bootleggers? Making the ROM readily available on the web would just make it that much easier.

RSC is available for purchase....not too shabby considering that less than a year ago, we were all still pondering on weather or not this even existed in the real world at all. I am glad I was able to purchase one. I decided this was something I needed to have in my library, as it is something I never thought I would ever be able to own for the 2600. For this, I am grateful.

I just finished reading this thread and I must be missing something...

• RSC sold at auction for somewhere in the neighborhood of $15K
  • Almost immediately after the purchase, Atari4You started a pre-order for both cart-only and CIB copies.
  • 125 or so were sold for $50 or less (that's less than $6000 gross sales...not profit)

So, based on the above details, RSC was completely and immediately made available to everyone interested, by Atari4You (no hoarding whatsoever). Also, these repro's were of amazing quality! Personally, I consider this a very generous move, as not even a third of the cost was recouped.

The repro carts are now out there, so they could easily have been dumped by the first buyer...therefore diluting the value of the original. As soon as someone like Hozer gets their hands on the ROM, the crappy bogus copies will start to appear on eBay. What is worse, there are many other, highly capable scammers out there who are likely to flood eBay with damned near perfect fakes. Just look at all of the TCM and Halloween fakes on eBay these days...this cart is an easy one to fake as well. High-res scans of the original label are out there on the web now...what would stop these bootleggers? Making the ROM readily available on the web would just make it that much easier.

RSC is available for purchase....not too shabby considering that less than a year ago, we were all still pondering on weather or not this even existed in the real world at all. I am glad I was able to purchase one. I decided this was something I needed to have in my library, as it is something I never thought I would ever be able to own for the 2600. For this, I am grateful.

It wasn't completely and immediately made available to everyone interested because there were people then and now that are interested in a ROM. It was only available for people who wanted a cart or CIB. Also, some people may have bought it as a collectors item and leave it sealed or don't want to use the loose cart to keep it mint. So, they would probably want a ROM too. I have CIB and a loose cart and still want a ROM. I rather play it on the Harmony Cart.

The customers can stop the bootleggers. I do it all the time. I just don't buy them. When I was a noob I got burned by a fake Coke Wins. I learned from my mistake and now only buy old era bootlegs. I'm sure some people will get burned and it will suck but I doubt it would be thousands of dollars worth of a burn. It would be just enough of a burn to learn from their mistakes like I did.

When I weigh out bootlegs verses not sharing, not sharing sounds worse. It is also the side of the coin that applies to us. If we don't share then we are doing the wrong. If someone sales bootlegs then they are doing the wrong. Not getting a game at all sounds worse than over paying for one.

Also, it most likely will eventually be dumped. So, we might as well deal with the pros and cons of it now. Especially since the pros outweigh the cons anyway.

The Personal Computer Museum is a non-profit charity. We can't afford to pay high collector prices for rare items. Any fundraising that we do is used to support ongoing museum operations and day to day costs - electricity, heat, insurance, etc. All of our staff are volunteers.

Now if someone would like to donate a copy to the museum we would be happy to accept it.

Original or reproduction?

Original or reproduction?

The museum will gratefully accept either.

As a museum we strive to preserve history and to protect all donations. A great example is Extra Terrestrials itself. The museum owns three copies - all of them donated. One is a prototype that contains an unfinished version of the game. Two are final versions - one donated by one of our volunteers, the other donated by the original programmer. The museum has received a few offers to purchase one of the copies. Despite the fact that we could use the money we have declined the offers. The museum feels it is more important to preserve the donations.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

No hidden Ark found, though...

I don't think this game hides more surprises than the dove, the tablets and the staff.

IMO all geme elements are already shown on the game's front label.

Now that this ROM is "out there", has it been analyzed to confirm this? Red Sea Crossing seemed like a game that might have an ending, but if it just loops the three items, then it's less exciting (in terms of pure gameplay).

Also, forgive me if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but is there any evidence of a connection between this game and similar titles like Bobby is Going Home, Walker, etc.? Funny that we have so many "walk right, occasionally jump, top half of the screen is mostly eye candy" games on the VCS.

Now that this ROM is "out there", has it been analyzed to confirm this? Red Sea Crossing seemed like a game that might have an ending, but if it just loops the three items, then it's less exciting (in terms of pure gameplay).

Also, forgive me if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but is there any evidence of a connection between this game and similar titles like Bobby is Going Home, Walker, etc.? Funny that we have so many "walk right, occasionally jump, top half of the screen is mostly eye candy" games on the VCS.

No connection whatsoever.

Also, no ending AFAIK, but perhaps Thomas Jentzsch can have a look into the coding.

8)