IGNORED

Forum upgrade time again!

Albert

Got a dedicated IP for this development setup, so changed DNS again. Should resolve faster, then I can get the site setup with SSL as well. Going to run some errands, hopefully by the time I get back it's all good and I can make some solid progress on this today!

..Al

• Like 1

After some slacking, I am now working full bore on this! Have the main site and forums running in the test environment. :) Need to get another instance of the search engine running, and once that's taken care of I can work on upgrading the test forum to the latest software and update the skins.

test_forum.png

..Al

I prefer skin four. The others rub me the wrong way.

Skin four?

Is there any way you can set up a demo page for peeps to peruse? Perhaps provide feedback?

No, as what I'm doing now isn't really subject to feedback, as it's just a fairly straightforward upgrade. There will not be significant differences to the forum once I upgrade the live site. I will have to look to see what they've changed from 3.3.x to 3.4.x. 3.4 came out a while ago, and I don't remember what they've changed!

Here are the major changes outlined:

http://community.inv...34-coming-soon/

Of course that's just for 3.4.0. Mostly bug fixes came after that (3.4.1, 3.4.2, and 3.4.3).

..Al

Albert, thank you so much for all you do for this site. I enjoy my time here more than anything else on the web and I can tell this really is a "labor of love" for you. I guess with that said, I really should subscribe. I'll get around to it, but in the meantime, I want to again thank you.

Seconded. Were it not for this site, and the time and money investment into it, I'd be practically clueless about Atari stuff, Atari repairs, and the like. Thanks, Albert!

Not sure what was going on, but when I woke up this morning I had some emails from monitoring software (on another server) that the site was unresponsive twice. Haven't looked through the logs to see if it was the site, or a network issue (last time I saw this it was a network issue, the server was fine). There are two jobs that run in the middle of the night that will make the forum slow/unresponsive while they are running, but the rest of AtariAge would be fine.

- Rebuilding the entire search index, takes only a few minutes. I'm not sure if this locks tables, I need to check. I don't think that it would need to.

- Database backup. This happens at 4am CST, but it's possible that's off by an hour. I'm still backing up the database the old way. It's absolutely faster than on the old server, but still not ideal. I've already investigated setting up replication to another server, and I can then backup the slave server (the slave server would then "catch up" to the master server after the backup is complete). This would result in zero downtime, and has the added benefit if the master database crashed (unlikely, but it can happen), I could switch to the slave server immediately. The disadvantage to this approach is that I need to run a MySQL slave on another server, on the same local network. That's more money every month.

I might explore running replication on the same server using two instances of MySQL. Should work, and the server has more than enough resources to handle it, especially since the slave server would only be processing inserts and updates and not responding to a million select statements.

..Al

This would result in zero downtime, and has the added benefit if the master database crashed (unlikely, but it can happen), I could switch to the slave server immediately.

That sounds great. Seems like the time when I want to look something up the most in the forums is during the backup.

The disadvantage to this approach is that I need to run a MySQL slave on another server, on the same local network. That's more money every month.

Maybe you could have a subscriber subscription where subscribers can pay extra to have access to an even more secret forum. You could also give them partial moderator privileges. They wouldn't be able to delete topics or posts, but they could edit them to correct spelling and grammar errors. For example, if a thread has the title "i has atari 0026 for sell," one of the subscriber subscribers could edit it to read "I Have an Atari 2600 for Sale."

Maybe you could have a subscriber subscription where subscribers can pay extra to have access to an even more secret forum. You could also give them partial moderator privileges. They wouldn't be able to delete topics or posts, but they could edit them to correct spelling and grammar errors. For example, if a thread has the title "i has atari 0026 for sell," one of the subscriber subscribers could edit it to read "I Have an Atari 2600 for Sale."

Why should someone pay for supporting the website? IMO the opposite should be true.

People who are actively supporting, should get some kind of bonus!

Note: Edited due to completely broken formatting. Al, please fix that soon. Thx!

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Maybe you could have a subscriber subscription where subscribers can pay extra to have access to an even more secret forum. You could also give them partial moderator privileges. They wouldn't be able to delete topics or posts, but they could edit them to correct spelling and grammar errors. For example, if a thread has the title "i has atari 0026 for sell," one of the subscriber subscribers could edit it to read "I Have an Atari 2600 for Sale." "I am a complete idiot."

Spelling corrected.

• Like 1

If you toggled the editing mode to the plain version, it's in the top left corner:

post-13-0-48171400-1363077157_thumb.png

Click it again to switch back.

Like I said, the whole tool bar doesn't show anymore. So there is no button I could click.

EDIT: This seemed to be a problem with Opera detection. After I masked Opera as IE, reloaded and then switched back to Opera it works now.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch