Photo

Games that should have been made for Intellivision

504 replies to this topic

#26 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 15,873 posts

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:31 PM

"Awesome! Thanks for giving us a sneak peek at the Elektronite 2014 release schedule Willy, much appreciated!!! :)"

I was right to keep my next release secret from you! ;-)

So true, cmart is the biggest blabber mouth!

And yes dz, seaquest would be great, actually alot of activision games would be good.

#27 Janzl OFFLINE  

Janzl

Chopper Commander

• 193 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:48 AM

Yes, Seaquest would be nice!

Some others:

Raid on Bungelin Bay
Bubble Bobble
Mad Docter
Castle Wolfenstein

#28 Intymike OFFLINE  

Intymike

River Patroller

• 2,839 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:08 AM

Yes, Seaquest would be nice!

Some others:

Raid on Bungelin Bay
Bubble Bobble
Mad Docter
Castle Wolfenstein

Now it´s going over the top...but after all Defender of the Crown is coming. ;-)

Fort Apocalypse

#29 Janzl OFFLINE  

Janzl

Chopper Commander

• 193 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:06 AM

Why is it going over the top? I think all these gamescan be made on the Inty. And would buy every one of them :)

#30 vprette OFFLINE  

vprette

Stargunner

• 1,372 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:40 AM

archon
templ of apshai

#31 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 9,798 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:50 AM

Why is it going over the top? I think all these gamescan be made on the Inty. And would buy every one of them :)

Bubble Bobble would be very hard to do on the Inty with all the bubbles that need to be updated, moved and animated. Sure... you could do a version of Bubble Bobble that fit the limitations of the Inty but then it wouldn't be Bubble Bobble.

#32 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 10,483 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:58 AM

I've said t before, if I can get a license to make Sea Quest, I would jump to it.

dZ.

#33 vprette OFFLINE  

vprette

Stargunner

• 1,372 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:04 AM

are you interested in porting of Starfleet Orion to intellivision?
should we open a pool on this?

#34 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 15,873 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:25 AM

I've said t before, if I can get a license to make Sea Quest, I would jump to it.

dZ.

How about a clone? Just change the name like spacepatrol/moon patrol and 4tris/tetris.

Ocean Quest

Its a no brainer man!

#35 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 10,483 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:27 AM

How about a clone? Just change the name like spacepatrol/moon patrol and 4tris/tetris.

Ocean Quest

Its a no brainer man!

Nah! I'll leave the clones to others. I do like the game a lot, though.

#36 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 8,148 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:35 AM

I think games like Joust would loose a lot in the translation due to the low vertical resolution.
If you look at the upcoming game Rocket Ranger (which looks really good), you'll see it's a bit cramped for vertical resolution vs the original which was designed for a horizontal layout screen.
Joust just has this wide open feel that would be totally lost. I had a Joust clone for my CoCo called Lancer that reproduced the feel of the original game very well but I always felt the vertical resolution needed to be greater to really nail the arcade game feel. With the Intellivision you just wouldn't have the vertical maneuverability.

Galaxians and Galaga are certainly doable to some extent but they suffer a bit on 8 bit computers due to the screen layout so I think they would play very differently than the arcade on the Intellivision due to the close proximity of the aliens.

I think some of the appeal of games like Pooyan was in their cute graphics rather than great gameplay and they would suffer a bit as well... but then that could probably have been said about some existing Intellivision games and it's made up for with great gameplay.

Bubble Bobble... it wouldn't bare a close resemblance to the arcade at all. Even the 8 bit computer versions I've played are pretty blah.

Berzerk, Caverns of Mars, Hero, etc... would probably work pretty well.

Is there a good version of Asteroids for the Intellivision?

Puzzel games like Sokoban should would work well and I'm surprised I couldn't already find a version of it.
Radar Rat Race (Rally-X) might make a good port. It looks mostly like tiles with a handful of sprites.

I would love to suggest some sort of RPG of the Wizardry/Bard's Tale type but it would need a total rethink to work on the Intellivision.
Replacing the text parts with graphics and simplifying the gameplay might make it doable but how much of the feel would be lost in the process?
Realms of Quest III for the VIC 20 manages to pull off the genera rather well without real high resolution graphics but I think you'd need to look at how the NES does it's input on similar games. Replacing text with graphics and showing monsters would certainly push the RAM tile limit.
Perhaps progress bars could be used for things like experience, health, mana, etc... and position a sprite on the bar for the current value.
You could select party members from a row of graphics displaying them and use the keypads for different attacks, spells, etc...

Edited by JamesD, Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:37 AM.

#37 Janzl OFFLINE  

Janzl

Chopper Commander

• 193 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:10 PM

Bubble Bobble would be very hard to do on the Inty with all the bubbles that need to be updated, moved and animated. Sure... you could do a version of Bubble Bobble that fit the limitations of the Inty but then it wouldn't be Bubble Bobble.

Ah... seems that I have still one or two things to learn about our Inty's possibilities.

I think games like Joust would loose a lot in the translation due to the low vertical resolution.

I think some of the appeal of games like Pooyan was in their cute graphics rather than great gameplay and they would suffer a bit as well... but then that could probably have been said about some existing Intellivision games and it's made up for with great gameplay.

Yes you have a point there. Maybe with Joust the vertical limit could be an issue because of the physics of the game. Other verticals came out pretty good, like D2K and Burgertime.
With Pooyan the ammount of sprites will be more of a problem. Mother Pig, piglets, wolves, elevator, arrows etc etc.

#38 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 9,798 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 PM

With Pooyan the ammount of sprites will be more of a problem. Mother Pig, piglets, wolves, elevator, arrows etc etc.

Not everything has to be a sprite. It should be possible to make a version of Pooyan on the Inty that looks better than the 2600 version.

#39 Janzl OFFLINE  

Janzl

Chopper Commander

• 193 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:55 PM

Not everything has to be a sprite. It should be possible to make a version of Pooyan on the Inty that looks better than the 2600 version.

Ah, so there is still hope ;)

#40 Ignorama OFFLINE  

Ignorama

River Patroller

• 2,739 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:59 PM

Bubble Ghost would be much cooler than Bubble Bobble. Give me Bubble Ghost and North & South and I will be happy :thumbsup:

#41 Kurt_Woloch OFFLINE  

Kurt_Woloch

Stargunner

• 1,293 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:19 PM

I do think Joust should be doable on the Intellivision. It won't be as pretty as the arcade version, that's for sure, but at least as good as the 2600 version. The 2600 version uses a maximum of 8 sprites at once on screen (with 30 Hz flicker) which the Intellivision has, but without the flicker. And the ledges would be monochrome, but could still look better than the simple plain platforms on the 2600. And the sprites do have the same vertical resolution as on the 2600, only the background graphics are limited.

#42 Fushek OFFLINE  

Fushek

Stargunner

• 1,545 posts
  • Actively Seeking Spiker!

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:38 PM

archon
templ of apshai

I'll second Archon ... and add

M.U.L.E. - Loved that game, but probably not enough action for everyone.

#43 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 8,148 posts

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:24 AM

Yes you have a point there. Maybe with Joust the vertical limit could be an issue because of the physics of the game. Other verticals came out pretty good, like D2K and Burgertime.

Well, those were platform games. The platforms may be closer together but you can change the speed the characters climb at to match the distance.
With joust you have have to dodge above and below your enemies and there just isn't a lot of room.
You could certainly implement a version but I'm not sure it would feel anything like the arcade.

#44 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 8,148 posts

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:25 AM

I'll second Archon ... and add

M.U.L.E. - Loved that game, but probably not enough action for everyone.

I thought about MULE but it has some text to it doesn't it? Maybe it's text is limited enough.

#45 IntellivisionDude OFFLINE  

IntellivisionDude

River Patroller

• 3,625 posts
  • INTV Brotherhood Member

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:34 AM

How about Super Intelly Bros. or Duncan The Hedgehog :-D

#46 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 10,483 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:18 AM

How about Super Intelly Bros. or Duncan The Hedgehog :-D

Wouldn't that be "Super Running-Man Bros."? :lol:

#47 mr_intv OFFLINE  

mr_intv

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,533 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:58 PM

Maybe a turbo remake. Worst driving controls ever! I would have liked a Super Pro Boxing game but perhaps a Body Slam Super Pro Wrestling game was more feasable at the time.

#48 mr_intv OFFLINE  

mr_intv

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,533 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:59 PM

Would Super Sprint be possible to do on the Intellivision?

Edited by mr_intv, Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:04 PM.

#49 JohnPCAE ONLINE  

JohnPCAE

Moonsweeper

• 414 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:04 PM

How about Super Intelly Bros. or Duncan The Hedgehog Posted Image

I had a similar thought last night. I think the Inty would be perfectly suited for platformers.

#50 HunterZero OFFLINE  

HunterZero

Dragonstomper

• 673 posts

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:22 AM

Bubble Bobble... it wouldn't bare a close resemblance to the arcade at all. Even the 8 bit computer versions I've played are pretty blah.

The C64 version was amazing. But I agree, the Inty couldn't cope with all the bubbles. Puzzle Bobble/Bust a Move would be doable though.

- J

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users