Photo

Looking for a tabletop pinball suggestion or two.

tabletop pinball

157 replies to this topic

#151 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,629 posts

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:43 AM

I found some images of the internals online. From the look of things,the design actually uses a piece of sheet metal with a perforation cut out as the 'switch'. I need to verify though. I'm going to do some tinkering and see what I come up with.

Check it for oxidation. If there's rust or black oxide on the steel (for copper this would be green or brown), you may need to lap the surface with 600 grit sandpaper. Then apply dielectric contact grease to the surface to prevent further oxidation. You can get a small tube of the grease at any auto part store. People use it on battery terminals and light bulb fixtures. Only use a very thin coat to cover the contact area. Avoid contact with plastic parts if possible. If you get it on the plastic, wipe it off and clean up with alcohol. Otherwise it may degrade the plastic with time.

Grease lasts a long while but may harden over time and increase resistance, so you may have to clean and retreat the contacts every 5-10 years or so as a routine maintenance.

#152 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,962 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 11:02 AM

Can someone help me locate a compatible power adapter for the Zizzle pinball machines? I isolated the issue my machine was having to the AC adapter. If I replace that, it should be good to go.

tumblr_p0e9yy0Ekz1rben3uo1_1280.jpg

#153 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,629 posts

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 12:32 PM

Can someone help me locate a compatible power adapter for the Zizzle pinball machines? I isolated the issue my machine was having to the AC adapter. If I replace that, it should be good to go.

tumblr_p0e9yy0Ekz1rben3uo1_1280.jpg

Get a 24V bench power supply (make sure it is regulated / switching type) and splice the barrel connector from the old adapter into it. You will need a multimeter to determine the voltage is correct (+/- 10% or less) and proper polarity of the cable. The inside tip of the barrel is (+). I would recommend taking the adapter to RadioShack for replacement, but alas they no longer exist... :sad:

#154 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,962 posts

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 12:34 PM

Get a 24V bench power supply (make sure it is regulated / switching type) and splice the barrel connector from the old adapter into it. You will need a multimeter to determine the voltage is correct (+/- 10% or less) and proper polarity of the cable. The inside tip of the barrel is (+). I would recommend taking the adapter to RadioShack for replacement, but alas they no longer exist... :sad:

I don't think it needs to be that complicated. I was able to use an old cell phone AC adapter. The wattage was just too low. I just need another 120V 60W power supply with barrel connector.

#155 SiberianSpForces OFFLINE  

SiberianSpForces

Chopper Commander

• 150 posts

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 12:40 PM

Oh man! I remember my brother having either an Atomic Pinball or something very similar. I have an Air Pinball I got for Christmas years back. I believe they came from Radio Shack. Dismantled it over the summer since it had battery corrosion. Got onto some wiring so I had to replace some wire and resolder a few joints. Only thing left is to get a replacement speaker. It fell apart when I removed it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0820.jpg
  • IMAG0821.jpg

#156 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,629 posts

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 12:41 PM

The nameplate suggests a 24V supply rating. Most small electronics use 12V tops. You may get some mileage out of an old Laptop adapter. These generally output 19-20V at least 3A, a bit low on the voltage side but your pinball should work. You may find the actuators have less kickback though if undervolted. If you had trouble hitting targets, a stronger supply may be needed. That's why I suggested a 24V bench supply. Some you can dial in the voltage. I would be weary of going much above 24V though as with too much voltage, the actuators might overheat if energized for more than a few seconds.

#157 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,962 posts

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 6:07 PM

The nameplate suggests a 24V supply rating. Most small electronics use 12V tops. You may get some mileage out of an old Laptop adapter. These generally output 19-20V at least 3A, a bit low on the voltage side but your pinball should work. You may find the actuators have less kickback though if undervolted. If you had trouble hitting targets, a stronger supply may be needed. That's why I suggested a 24V bench supply. Some you can dial in the voltage. I would be weary of going much above 24V though as with too much voltage, the actuators might overheat if energized for more than a few seconds.

A generic, old laptop power supply worked. Thanks!

#158 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 11,995 posts

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 7:30 PM

That Air Pinball looks kind of trippy. Not much going on with the playfield physically, but man that art! Haha.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users