IGNORED

1050 not booting

daafies

Hi All,

i have a problem with one of my 1050s in that it wont boot. here is a scenario:

1) turn on 1050. light turns on, head goes back and forth with activity led on. then activity led goes off (head stops at the sensor. does not hit the mechanical stop)

2) insert bootable disk (boots fine on other 1050) close latch. now head does not move, but disk spins and activity led goes on for 4-5 seconds.

3) turn on 800xl. now the 1050 does nothing. no light, no movement no sound from 1050. screen says "READY" and power LED on 1050 is ON

i've tried different cables. changing the 1050 with my spare, using same cables and power supply it all works.

those 3 big caps do not get hot, but the heat shield does get warm. i've tried pushing down the ICs in the metal shielded area. reseated connects. tried different "drive select" addresses. also tried both IO connectors.

given all that, what would be most likely to be the problem?

thank you!

david

Edited by daafies

Sounds like all normal behaviour except the not booting part. When first powered on the head will return to home so inserting a disk shouldn't seek first up.

Drive ID switch is the most likely thing needing a look at. The settings should be printed on the label on the back of the drive.

If that doesn't help and you have a way of otherwise booting a Dos, you could boot up a Dos disk and attach the drive and just do directory on each possible drive number to see if the drive is visible. I've not heard of drive ID switches going bad but it's always a possibility.

Be sure you get only the 3086 or it's EXACT equivalent the NTE 912 which is sold by the Radio Shack shop on eBay. Any other claims of equality are not to be trusted as accurate. Mouser doesn't have any 3086 but may have NTE912 at ten a pop. Chinese on eBay have plenty of 3086 if you can wait a month for them.

Oops....

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FNTE912-Integrated-Circuit-General-Purpose-Transistor-Array-NTE912-%2F160984350462