IGNORED

Recommend some 32X games

Different game completely. Atari SW and SEGA SW were light years different. Love them both though. Still have my Gamecube Atari SW bonus disc for preordering Rogue Squadron. Still, SEGA's is worth owning flaws and all as the ONLY home version of that particular arcade game. 32X had some stinkers, but I believe you should judge a system on its good content, not the crap. 32X Virtua Fighter isn't the best VF ever, but I don't think comparing it to VF5 or Anniversary is fair. For the time it came out it totally holds its own with the Saturn version.

At the end of the day, don't break the bank on a 32X, but don't pass on a deal either. It is worth owning and the good games are few, but worth the price of admission. Especially since you can get all of the best titles for under 100 total. Mileage will vary. Do yourself a favor and hit up AX for one of his modded GC power supplies. It powers the Genny, CD, and 32X all at once without the mess of three power bricks.

I'm not sure if there's a way or even a need to clean up the power requirements. The PAC-S10 (essentially my Genesis/SCD combo) is powered by my LaserActive, and that has a standard plug. I only have one power brick to plug in when I run the 32X. The problem is that all the 32X hookups run out the front of the system.It looks kinda ugly that way but it works.

I didn't know the 32X would work with the LaserActive! That must look crazy!

It takes some work. There's a thread marked LaserActive RGB mod in the classic gaming forum. I necrobumped it and posted a guide on how to make it all work.

BTW, Virtua Racing blows away just about every Sega racing game that ever was released for the Saturn. :thumbsup:

Edited by shadow460

In life there are few things better than an in house SEGA racer!

Turbo, Outrun, Hang On, Turbo Outrun, Super Monaco GP, Power Drift, Rad Mobile, Virtua Racing, Daytona USA, Scud Race, SEGA GT, Outrun C2C, and Sega Rally... I know there a more, but such awesomeness overloads my SEGA starved brain! To live in a perfect world where the 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast were mega hits and Sega would this summer be unveiling the Dreamcast 3. Virtua Racing 4 would use up to 4 3D televisions arranged for front, side, and rear views or a full VR helmet. I do miss their special brand of awesome.

• Like 4

I'd have to say my favorite Sega racing games are the arcade versions of Daytona USA and SCUD Race. At home my favorite Sega ones are 1998 Sega Rally and Virtua Racing Deluxe. Though it's not Sega's game, Gran Turismo 3 gives them all a serious run for their money though.

I'm going to buck the trend and say that I think the usual assessment of the 32X library is actually ass-backwards. I disliked Kolibri, which I thought was dull and controlled poorly, and hated Blackthorne. I love flip-screen platformers like Prince of Persia, Flashback, Out of this World, Abe's Oddysee, etc., but Blackthorne struck me as buggy, plodding, shallow, and insufferably smug. And the system's port of MKII, which is often praised, is full of audio bugs/missing audio and just doesn't feel as good as the SNES version to me.

OTOH some of the games that people often dismiss are some of the ones I've liked best on the 32X. Metal Head is a solid early 3D title that played well enough to keep me interested; the key is to hold down the "Run" button basically the whole time, which makes the game infinitely more playable. Cosmic Carnage is frustrating at times and was no doubt overhyped, but it's still a decent fighter that has its own oddball charm.

And Motocross, which some reviewers have treated as an abomination, I thought was one of the more fun racers I've ever played. It's mercifully free of the dreaded rubberband AI and, if you make an effort to learn the controls, actually handles fairly well. It's not trying to be Road Rash, and if you play it that way it won't work, but if you approach it on its own terms there's fun to be had.

That said my tastes tend to be fairly quirky, so if you want some more conventional picks: Shadow Squadron, Space Harrier, Virtua Fighter, and Virtua Racing all seemed quite solid to me. I haven't played Knuckles, Tempo, or Zaxxon enough to figure them out, so I'm reserving judgment, though all three games put me off initially.

I've got most of a complete 32X library, but am playing through it relatively slowly. I think Fahrenheit may be next on my hit list -- seemed like good clean/trashy FMV fun.

I love Metal Head. The only problem with the game at all is the frame rate, other than that it's like a simple urban Mechwarrior-like.

I also have Moto Cross, and I honestly can't say anything good about it. The main problem is the draw distance is about a foot in front of your bike.

I'm going to buck the trend and say that I think the usual assessment of the 32X library is actually ass-backwards. I disliked Kolibri, which I thought was dull and controlled poorly, and hated Blackthorne. I love flip-screen platformers like Prince of Persia, Flashback, Out of this World, Abe's Oddysee, etc., but Blackthorne struck me as buggy, plodding, shallow, and insufferably smug. And the system's port of MKII, which is often praised, is full of audio bugs/missing audio and just doesn't feel as good as the SNES version to me.

OTOH some of the games that people often dismiss are some of the ones I've liked best on the 32X. Metal Head is a solid early 3D title that played well enough to keep me interested; the key is to hold down the "Run" button basically the whole time, which makes the game infinitely more playable. Cosmic Carnage is frustrating at times and was no doubt overhyped, but it's still a decent fighter that has its own oddball charm.

And Motocross, which some reviewers have treated as an abomination, I thought was one of the more fun racers I've ever played. It's mercifully free of the dreaded rubberband AI and, if you make an effort to learn the controls, actually handles fairly well. It's not trying to be Road Rash, and if you play it that way it won't work, but if you approach it on its own terms there's fun to be had.

That said my tastes tend to be fairly quirky, so if you want some more conventional picks: Shadow Squadron, Space Harrier, Virtua Fighter, and Virtua Racing all seemed quite solid to me. I haven't played Knuckles, Tempo, or Zaxxon enough to figure them out, so I'm reserving judgment, though all three games put me off initially.

I've got most of a complete 32X library, but am playing through it relatively slowly. I think Fahrenheit may be next on my hit list -- seemed like good clean/trashy FMV fun.

I tried out Fahrenheit. It appears to be more of a chore than anything else. Even after making a "clean" copy of the second CD, the constant loading and seeking is disruptive. I don't think I have the patience to map out all eleven levels of the thing.

My 32X favorites are Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000, Knuckles Chaotix, Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, NBA Jam TE. The Space Harrier and After Burner translations are great, but if you have access to the Saturn versions, you are still better off playing those. I also recall enjoying T-MEK, but I remember it being kind of choppy and it seems to be a sort of "love it or hate it" kind of game.

I haven't personally tried Blackthorne (actually, now that I think of it, I think it's the only game I haven't tried that's not a sports game), but I agree on Kolibri and MKII. Kolibri had nice visuals, but I found the sound and the general gameplay to be dull. MKII is a nice halfway-house of sorts. It enhanced character color count and animation, more voice samples than other cart versions, and it also includes the intro. On the other hand, it re-uses a lot of assets from the Genesis version, including backgrounds (that have only been slightly touched up), general sound effects, and even the choppy nature in some instances (like when you are taken to the "Continue" screen). It's definitely a good port, but I do agree that the SNES version has aged better (or just play the Midway Arcade Treasures II version on the XBOX, it's probably even cheaper to do so these days).

Keeping MKII in mind, I generally suggest to people that they avoid some of the 16-bit conversions. Games like Primal Rage are sorry excuses for ports and feel more like the Genesis game in a 32X cart. MKII is one of the more enhanced conversions and I do recommend it, but if you played a lot of the Genesis version back in the day like I did, you ARE going to see this version's roots (and not for the better). Pitfall looks nicer on the 32X, but it sounds like ass and runs choppy as hell, so you are best sticking with the Sega CD version. Etc., etc.

Keeping MKII in mind, I generally suggest to people that they avoid some of the 16-bit conversions. Games like Primal Rage are sorry excuses for ports and feel more like the Genesis game in a 32X cart. MKII is one of the more enhanced conversions and I do recommend it, but if you played a lot of the Genesis version back in the day like I did, you ARE going to see this version's roots (and not for the better). Pitfall looks nicer on the 32X, but it sounds like ass and runs choppy as hell, so you are best sticking with the Sega CD version. Etc., etc.

I have Primal Rage. It's a complete waste of solder and plastic. I've tried the 32 bit era versions of Pitfall just long enough to learn my lesson: Pitfall is, and always will be, best on the 2600. That includes Pitfall II, by the way.

I have Primal Rage. It's a complete waste of solder and plastic. I've tried the 32 bit era versions of Pitfall just long enough to learn my lesson: Pitfall is, and always will be, best on the 2600. That includes Pitfall II, by the way.

See, I really enjoyed the Mayan Adventure. Just not on the 32X, haha. The soundtrack of the Sega CD version makes a world of a difference. Plus, it's not choppy in its movement. But hey, since you have a LaserActive, you might as well give the Sega CD version a spin!

The thing is, with so few titles it's easy to explore the entire 32X library. Get an Everdrive with your 32X and enjoy every 32X game and all but a handful of the Genesis games. I've done it, so I can recommend it to anyone.

Do you ever miss putting a game cart in or looking at the labels? Do you find yourself want to collect anymore after owing one for a particular system?

Thanks!

An Everdrive amounts to the same as emulation for me. It completely kills my motivation to play anything. Having the original however makes a world of difference on how I feel about games. It's also a lot cooler to have the games for the collection.

Plenty of collectors also use flash carts because they are more convenient. They can leave their collection undisturbed. Also, unlike emulation flash carts play the game just like it plays from a actual cartridge since its using original hardware.

I find that I play the original hardware more when using multicarts, including the Everdrive. I've still got games but now only collect the games that I like the most... and don't miss having thousands of games I don't enjoy and will never play again. The multicarts helped break me from needing to collect as an activity within itself. I've got more space, it's easier to fire up a system and play, and I've found myself happier with gaming and life in general. I'm also healthier, because what was once an entire room filled with 18-gallon containers filled with games and systems is now an exercise room and used many days of the week :D