IGNORED

APF TV FUN 401a

bombidragon

I picked up a non working apf tv fun, I threw battteries in it and the sound works great and it switches games fine. The problem is no video, I am thinking the rf modulator is toast, I pulled it apart and everything is clean as a whistle Is there a replacement modulator/ video mod? What rating should the power supply be rated at if I want to plug it in (voltage/tip polarity)?

• 2 weeks later...

You could try plugging it directly into the antenna port of your Tv with an RCA to Coax adapter. I think you can get them at Radio Shack.

http://atariage.com/...uct_detail&p=42

If he can't get a video signal at all, an RCA-Coax adapter probably won't help (though it would be handy to have anyway). The problem sounds internal.

If the internal RF modulator and the board look clean, you might be dealing with a bad solder point somewhere, or a dead capacitor or diode. Have you actually opened up the RF modulator? It's possible something went kerflooey in there. You could also have a bad RF cord...have you noticed any severe crimps or bends or breaks in it?

When you run the game, do you get audio static when you un-mute/turn up your television volume? (You should.)

A stupid question -and I don't mean to insult with it: are you sure you hooked it all up correctly and had the TV on the right channel? I sometimes overlook elementary steps setting this stuff up from time to time, myself (like a few weeks ago at MGC when I was setting up my exhibits in the museum; I spent an hour trying to figure out why my Apple IIc wasn't outputting video before discovering I never connected it to the monitor! That was a fun derp moment.).

Worst case scenario, APF pongs shouldn't be that hard or expensive to get if yours is beyond help.

• 1 month later...

its possible that the rf cable is bad. I have a apf tv fun 406 that has the same problem as your game. I took the top off the rf box and took a multimeter to it, i found it was my cable thats bad.

place a lead on both ends of the cable, and set your multimeter to 20 ohms. if its good, it should have a constant reading.

if the numbers cycle randomly (on a digital) then, the resistance is too high and you will need a new cable

its possible that the rf cable is bad. I have a apf tv fun 406 that has the same problem as your game. I took the top off the rf box and took a multimeter to it, i found it was my cable thats bad.

place a lead on both ends of the cable, and set your multimeter to 20 ohms. if its good, it should have a constant reading.

if the numbers cycle randomly (on a digital) then, the resistance is too high and you will need a new cable

I will try this thank you!