IGNORED

Cartridge List for the Atari 8-bit Computers (400/800/XL/XE Computers)

I'm confused then i assumed that the rarity column contained rarity values taken from the atarimania web site or another source

Rarity ratings are very volatile. Atarimania though a good baseline hasn’t been updated in the last 7+ years that I’m aware of. This means when more carts are found, i.e. the warehouses in South America, then rarity should change. I used Atarimania, and several other lists, and combined that to my over 10 years of collecting. Cartridges are like gold, the prices go through what appears to me to be a 5-7 year cycle. Currently, outside of some very hard to get carts, we are in a slump. Prices are at an all time low. Great time to buy, not so good to sell in my opinion.

But again, rarity should be taken with a grain of salt. The real value is in the demand and that is where it changes often. My rarity indicators are a snapshot of today based on those lists, user input, posting data, and my experience (I have something like 330 individual unique cartridges (minus label variations, etc)).

Thanks for putting this together; it inspired me to get my cart list up-to-date.

I didn't nit-pick the whole thing, but to point out a few things I noticed:

The '86 version of atariwriter is listed as a game

Track and Field is listed as rarity 1 (may actually be your opinion, but seems low to me)

Thanks for putting this together; it inspired me to get my cart list up-to-date.

I didn't nit-pick the whole thing, but to point out a few things I noticed:

The '86 version of atariwriter is listed as a game

Track and Field is listed as rarity 1 (may actually be your opinion, but seems low to me)

No problem. I'm using this post to update the list. Track and Field is low, maybe should be at least a 4-5.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Rarity ratings are very volatile. Atarimania though a good baseline hasn’t been updated in the last 7+ years that I’m aware of. This means when more carts are found, i.e. the warehouses in South America, then rarity should change. I used Atarimania, and several other lists, and combined that to my over 10 years of collecting. Cartridges are like gold, the prices go through what appears to me to be a 5-7 year cycle. Currently, outside of some very hard to get carts, we are in a slump. Prices are at an all time low. Great time to buy, not so good to sell in my opinion.

But again, rarity should be taken with a grain of salt. The real value is in the demand and that is where it changes often. My rarity indicators are a snapshot of today based on those lists, user input, posting data, and my experience (I have something like 330 individual unique cartridges (minus label variations, etc)).

Just as an example, I just picked up Bounty Bob Strikes back for $49.00. And the label and cart was in pretty good condition. I know this cart has been showing up a lot lately, but 8 years ago it was hard to find, and then went from a $200+ cart to well $49.00 :) Great title, tough as hell to play in my opinion. The first was much, much easier.

A (very) small correction for the list:

The angsoftware cartridge mentioned is not correct. The Ad converter is Mirage only, it was sold by ANG but it was not rebranded. ANG software first sold a completely different product (which originated from Holland) and this cartridge was called the "Alphasys sample cartridge".

You can also include the Ridiculous Reality cartridge of Jakub Husak. He made 50 of them: http://atariage.com/...us#entry2728572

Regards,

Fred

post-6711-0-02921000-1375651296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fred_M

Ok Thanx!, so I'll delete Ang-software, since your cart image says Alpha Systems Hardware makes Sample Cartridge version 1.0 1991. Not sure what ANG is then.

Alpha Systems 83 Impersonator Back-Up Cart 8 Utility Ang-software92 Ad Converter (Tchec ) 9

Utility

ANG distributed the Alphasys Sample Cartridge, but you are right Alphasys (who is also a member on AtariAge) produced the cartridge with the help of ANG Software who provided the cartridge housings.

Regards,

Fred

Edited by Fred_M

And though a good cart, Ridiculous Reality cartridge would not be a production original, from the day, but a home brew/modern release in which this list doesn't have yet. I have been working on, so thanx for the entry :)

I appreciate your input.

Well....I think there is a very thin line here. The Alphasys cartridge was also home made and not in a factory. You can also call that homebrew..... But I think that is the same for example for the Mirage cartridge.... I would expect that everything from the nineties is not factory made.

Edited by Fred_M

• 3 months later...

And here's an interesting cart that just popped up on eBay: the Electronic Retail Information Center. Controlled a laserdisc as an interactive sales kiosk. See also http://atariage.com/forums/topic/105390-atari-home-computer-intro-video/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-400-800-Point-Purchase-Electronic-Retail-Information-Center-E-R-I-C-/121212549912?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1c38d4bb18

And here's an interesting cart that just popped up on eBay: the Electronic Retail Information Center. Controlled a laserdisc as an interactive sales kiosk. See also http://atariage.com/forums/topic/105390-atari-home-computer-intro-video/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-400-800-Point-Purchase-Electronic-Retail-Information-Center-E-R-I-C-/121212549912?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1c38d4bb18

This is the second cart from this seller stating from an Atari warehouse. The seller has told me that he is Bruce's son (from B&C).

The cart that sold tonight on eBay was a Super Salt cart that when I saw pic's of the inside, I said it was a newer PCB and someone slapped some chips on it. He stated that he never said it was a proto, original, etc.

The picture of the cart with ERIC chips appears to be the same in my opinion. Does anyone else have any take on this? I've seen the red PCB's selling on eBay from B&C.

There was an ERIC cart about a year or so ago, and if I remember correctly, it was not like this one.

Ok Thanx!, so I'll delete Ang-software, since your cart image says Alpha Systems Hardware makes Sample Cartridge version 1.0 1991. Not sure what ANG is then.

When I discouvered Polish games because of Page6 magazine the only way I had and most in the world because of English 'universal' language was to buy the games from distributors.

I started ordering from U.K.s Derek Fern Micro Discount and also the Netherlands ANG.

I think that allmost 100% is distribution. Mainly Eastern Europe things but also the disks of Mega Magazine.

So maybe all (less than this Alphasys) are duplicated just with new looking and in English language paper instructions.

P.s.- And more, I am almost sure that I read some, not many years ago, that ANG (New Generation Software) that they weren't allowing people to put in public their versions files.

Now that Mirage and all the Polish declared all their past programs public free it's strange and don't know if they are still active today and/or if they still want and how to make make money in the 21st Century.

Or I am wrong and it's another one, maybe one, other than Mirage , another Polish games publisher.

Edited by José Pereira

José,

I can clarify a lot, because in the old days I was part of ANG Software. ANG Software did resell Polish products, but has also published a number of Original software. ANG had a contract with Mirage which worked both ways. So the Original ANG title Whoops was also published in Poland by Mirage in different packaging.

The ANG originals were a.o. Whoops!, Whoops 2, Shit, Thinx, Mines, TML Drumeditor 1, TML Drum Editor 2 (stereo), Johny the Ghost, Diskkeeper, Basic-Dup, Colorfont Editor, Hack Picture 2, Home Studio, Best of Pokey Magazine and Mega Magazine. T-34 was a Mirage product, which was never released by Mirage, so only the ANG publication excists. ANG also released in cooperation with Derek Fern stereo versions of Zybex and Draconus.

Derek Fern also sold some original titels. For example Tagalon was an unreleased game of Tynesoft, which was never published until Derek bought the rights.

As for the the discussion about publishing ANG titles, please read this message on AtariAge from May 2006..... http://atariage.com/forums/topic/87389-ang-software-europe-freeware-now/?hl=%2Bang+%2Bsoftware&do=findComment&comment=1063118

Kind regards,

Fred Meijer

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

You really have to shake your head, so many 'friends' or people pop up to say that software should not be distributed all the time these days. I had to argue with someone about the distribution of a lame basic dungeons and dragons character sheet maker I did as a pre-teen. He was at the local users group and was carrying on making a scene.... I had to show them my school I.D. card to prove who I was and then showed them my name was in a rem statement of the program listing showing I wrote it. If someone doesn't want it distributed maybe they should get the person who would be 'harmed' to show up and say take it down. So many things are taken down so very quickly when truth be told the really is no beef or party that would be harmed.. in fact they are pleased to see their old work still exists and often give a release to allow you to do so. Only twice in 34 or more years have I seen any one truely not want their work out there for whatever reason.

Glad to see someone stood up and let this work be shared and continued to make it know that it would continue to be so..

Thumbs up to Fred_M. for setting it straight so quickly be the magic of the moderation removal crew made it disappear!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Updated cartridge list, 3-16-2014:

- Added check boxes to track your collection.

- Updated rarity based on market as of today.

- Updated new carts found.

Known Missing: Not all of the Expando carts are listed, Pronto appears to have three versions, 2 are represented here.

Enjoy.

atari_cart_list_3-2014_CLynn_Excel.xls

atari_cart_list_3-2014_CLynn_Atari.txt

atari_cart_list_3-2014_CLynn_NonAtari.txt

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm confused then i assumed that the rarity column contained rarity values taken from the atarimania web site or another source

The rarity values are derived from a few sources. Collectors that actually watch sources and have the carts, and postings. Atarimania's rarity level was a good start but they haven't been updated in, or living for, many, many years. I took the time to go through many sources, etc. to comprise the list since every list, or website, I found was incorrect or incomplete.

As I get closer to obtaining almost all of these carts, I hope to get the time to document even further. Since I only collect the carts it makes it considerably easier to maintain, I couldn't even imagine trying disks and cassettes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been updating my collection list with to this list. Thanks for making it! I've found one by MPP that definitely needs to be added, and another called Super Blizzard. . . not sure what it is, perhaps it wasn't a production thing.

Thanx for the input. The MPP cart is a cart that comes with a disk based game called Assault Force (and doesn't work with anything else), and should be on the list.

MPP (Supra) 60-7000-1 85 Assault Force 3-D [w/Supercharger cart] 7 Game

The second I've seen before, I believe it's an utility cart. There are definitely dozens of carts that had a few made here and there. Poland has many of these type utility carts.