IGNORED

Best examples of Pokey Music

abraXXious

There was a certain pokey 'honk' in most tunes that I never completely fell in love with. The sid effects toybox got annoying at times, but I suppose I like what music I've seen in its demos more as a whole. I always thought pokey was better for game sounds, but it's still probably better at music than it ever got credit for.

For a nice common one from 'back in the day,' there's rescue on fractalus. Nice sound to this, but it's hard to find video. Well more than a couple seconds anyway:

Browsing around youtube, this demo sounds quite nice. Seems to be shooting at being a bit c64-ish with effects, but with pokey's style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annyA67ft64

Edited by Reaperman

On the A8 we do not have a universal sound-format, like on the C64. I guess (!) that on the C64 every sound is simply named *.SID and can be played with any SID-player there. On the A8 we don`t have this, we have dozens or more sound-formats

As sack says, SID is only a universal sound format in the same way that SAP is and there are thousands of different sound drivers inside those SID files (sometimes more than one in a single SID, BMX Kidz for example is Rob Hubbard's driver for the title tune and jingles with Jori Olkkonen's behind the high score entry tune) and the header just explains to whatever is trying to play the music back how to interact with the driver.

These drivers go from the absolute basics (quite literally, the format supports BASIC-powered tunes which aren't going to be doing anything mre complicated than triggering notes and letting the hardware's envelope generator do the rest) to the real SID-hammering stuff like the routines in the Vicious SID demos that run 8-bit samples from a SID channel which can be passed through the filter, play Protracker tunes or build chords on a single SID channel. The same issue of specific files not working on C64-native SID players is also present on the C64 of course, it's just harder to spot the ones that break because there's over 43,000 tunes in the HVSC right now.

My 2 cents... I like that Nadral (Scott Joplin?) tune. To me, so much Pokey music sounds almost "buzzy" (if that makes any sense). Nadral sounds "clean," like a lot of SID stuff.

I'm glad that we have both SID and Pokey (and VICE for playing the SID tunes).

-Larry

Pokey is easy on par with Sid, you call Pokey a broken pinball machine, Sid very often sounds like you're wrestling with the cat.

Alternate Reality: The City and The Dungeon

Hmmmm, having listened to both now I cannot agree. Pokey can sound good, but Sid still sound quite a bit better.

How can Pokey be on par with Sid when it is technically inferior, is thought by most to be inferior and sounds, at least slightly, inferior?

If you can name a single Pokey that sounds as good as Ghouls & Ghosts level 1 then Ill be over the moon.

Still, it seems to be a very capable chip and better than most give it credit for. Ill be enjoying playing around with it for a bit.

If you can name a single Pokey that sounds as good as Ghouls & Ghosts level 1 then Ill be over the moon.

It starts off well, but I don't really like a lot of where that tune goes. Especially the rhythm section.

I always thought pokey music had a stronger rhythm section in general--kind of a side effect of my opinion that it's better for sound effects.

Ghouls&ghosts level 1 on SID:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBnJA9QhijA

Edited by Reaperman

Call me weird, but I think the old game Panther is a good demonstration of the differences between the systems from 'back in the day.' It looks like they were trying pretty hard on both versions, but their music has a bit different feeling which highlights the differences in the sound hardware:

For music, each version has bits I like more than the other. Sound and graphics are somewhat easier to call a side on.

If you get them close to playing at the same time, it's kind of like hearing a 'round' of row your boat from very different voices..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKi21T5EHi0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Sq4h44SUY

Edited by Reaperman

I like both audio chips, they both have their feats and quirks.

A few of my favorites from both SID and Pokey.

I believe Drunken Chessboard was a Stereo Pokey Demo (Amazing)

Yoomp (Stereo Pokey)

NUMEN (Stereo Pokey)

Tempest Xtreem (Mono Pokey)

Tim Follin Gaunlet III (SID C64)

Lunis, Fortress of Narzod (8050 SID C64)

Robocop III (Jeroen Tel C64)

• 2 weeks later...

Is there some better Pokey music pieces out there? Something with nice sounding instruments/voices?

I like the sample playback/combination of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-4OayQr78

(starts at 00:48, download: http://atari.fandal....p?files_id=3508 )

My favourite (plain-)-Pokey composer is 'Jan Mahn'. I wonder that only one title in ASMA lists him.

I've attached a disk with some titles by him (menu entries 'O' till 'Y'). (Press 'START' there to leave the actual playback - sometimes you have to press any key when returned in the menu to enable the display again.)

Try 'Showdown', 'The Take Off' and 'Synth for you' (this is in ASMA) - at least I find them impressive for a seventies sound chip...

Musikbox II.atr

Edited by Irgendwer

Well,

the music by J.M. can also be found in the german TB XL game "Lord of Darkness" (as often: english title, german game). Thats where I heard this music first. Just take a look at the DIRectory and start the files Music, Music 2, Music 3 and Music 4...http://atari.fandal....p?files_id=4152

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

• 3 years later...

Call me weird, but I think the old game Panther is a good demonstration of the differences between the systems from 'back in the day.' It looks like they were trying pretty hard on both versions, but their music has a bit different feeling which highlights the differences in the sound hardware:

For music, each version has bits I like more than the other. Sound and graphics are somewhat easier to call a side on.

If you get them close to playing at the same time, it's kind of like hearing a 'round' of row your boat from very different voices..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKi21T5EHi0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Sq4h44SUY

I'm usually not one to revive dead threads (although I've done it a few times on AtariAge, but Panther just sums up the A8 "malaise" that hit the industry when the collapse started. The A8 version is just garbage, visually and aurally, a major disappointment. They could have done so much better and it appears to be a "lazy" effort.

Enough to make me recreate the song with RMT - see here:

pantherpokey.xex

Edited by rdefabri
  • Like 5

Would you allow to have a look at the RMT file?

Yes no problem - see attached. Modify as you wish - volume settings are high (as noted in other thread, I'm doing playback through RMT on a Windows laptop, it's not optimized for playback on a real POKEY machine).

One favor I ask - any way you can capture audio/video of the original and post it? I don't have Camstudio (I'm using a work laptop) and can't grab the song to post on YouTube or elsewhere. Let me know - thanks!

****EDIT - it's not letting me attach the file. It's giving me an "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"....any idea why?

Pack it with zip.

Yes no problem - see attached. Modify as you wish - volume settings are high (as noted in other thread, I'm doing playback through RMT on a Windows laptop, it's not optimized for playback on a real POKEY machine).

One favor I ask - any way you can capture audio/video of the original and post it? I don't have Camstudio (I'm using a work laptop) and can't grab the song to post on YouTube or elsewhere. Let me know - thanks!

Well, I own some real machines, but they weren't connected to the PC nor Audio equipment. Not enough space, and moving those old machine makes me fear something will break.

Edited by emkay