IGNORED

Contest - Win a Donkey Kong XM Box

tep392

First of all... The game looks amazing.

Although, I don't want to be Mr negative but I think some of the color changes in the latest version took it in the wrong direction.

If we're trying to get the colors close to the arcade, there should be a few adjustments.

• Mostly the blues. The blues are now too purple. If I'm not mistaken, they look like "7"s on the hue scale instead of "8"s. "8"s would be a much more fitting color -- and in some places "9"s.
  • The fireballs' yellow could be a bit darker/more vibrant. It's a bit too light right now which will make it blend in too much with the white on a TV and has too much contrast with the outer red color (which could be a tad more orange as well).
  • Pauline's dress is a bit too dark. (But I need to refresh myself on the arcade to be sure on this one).

---

• There's a slight sprite tweak you can do on the OIL barrel on the first screen that will make it look even more like the arcade. You can refer to the other example I sent a while back for that.

I don't have time at the moment to make more detailed recommendations, but when I get a chance, I can point out actual color values if needed.

Other than that, I think it's pert-near perfect. I can't really submit a high-score because I suck at the game -- always have.

• Like 2

If we're trying to get the colors close to the arcade, there should be a few adjustments.

• Mostly the blues. The blues are now too purple. If I'm not mistaken, they look like "7"s on the hue scale instead of "8"s. "8"s would be a much more fitting color -- and in some places "9"s.
  • The fireballs' yellow could be a bit darker/more vibrant. It's a bit too light right now which will make it blend in too much with the white on a TV and has too much contrast with the outer red color (which could be a tad more orange as well).
  • Pauline's dress is a bit too dark. (But I need to refresh myself on the arcade to be sure on this one).

Hey Kevin glad you posted. :)

I was focused more on Kong's color/color of hammer's which have taken a turn for the better. They were a tad bit too tan before lacking red. This was improved and updated.

Nonetheless, I agree with all of your points. Not that what is in place now is bad by any means, but your above color change suggestions would be welcomed, IMHO. Particularly, the 'blue too purple' was standing out the most for me...I was hoping someone else would come along with saying it to confirm my thoughts on the matter.

Yes, Pauline's dress is a bit too dark in comparison to the Arcade.

Hardly worth mentioning (but I will). The left and right side of Donkey Kong's mouth don't quite match (where the lips are curled down on the ends). There are a couple of other less obvious differences from the left to right side, but that's the one I first noticed. Maybe it had to do with having to originally scale the graphics, but it looks to be an easy fix.

Bob

Bob, very acute observation. I also see other differences, mainly heredity NES:

- The elbows seem too pointed and the feet are too big.

- Is possible to improve the design of the fists and the abdomen, there is a bit of confusion in this area.

- It would be very nice, if it is possible, adding a fourth color (the same color of the hair of Pauline).

Then, when Donkey Kong shows his lateral profile, there are a handful of white pixels on the mouth and forehead.

And in this sprite still differences in the proportions (rear neck / ear, wrist / knee, etc..).

I worked on these two sprites, maybe it can be useful to share the result.

Perry, I hope that goes a bit better with the problem in the basement.Perhaps these designs can bring to you a moment of distraction.

If you like it and if there is some spare time when everything is finished, I can help with other sprites of Donkey Kong.

As always, thank you for your kind attention.

Marco

spritesdk7800xm4.png

spritesdk7800xm5.png

spritesdk7800xm6.png

spritesdk7800xm7.png

spritesdk7800xm8.png

spritesdk7800xm00.png

spritesdk7800xm0.png

spritesdk7800xm1.png

spritesdk7800xm2.png

spritesdk7800xm3.png

sprites Donkey Kong 7800 XM (part 1).bmp

• Like 1

Marco,

Changing sprites is easy, but it needs to stay three colors. Otherwise I will need to make code changes and I've reached the point were I'm only fixing bugs. Regarding the comments on colors in the other post, I'll look at it when I get my CRT setup again.

Perry

• Like 2

First, I don't know anything about the 7800's graphics mode and programming, so this may not even be doable but, if you split Kong into 2 sections, each could be a 3 color sprite and combined you'd get the 4 colors that Marco used. The white in the eyes is only used above the nose, and all the 4th color Marco added is from the shoulders down, so it would seem to me if Kong could be made from 2 sprites (one from the top of head to the nose, and the other from the nose down), you could get the 4 colors. it does look nice in Marco's bitmap.

Bob

• Like 1

First, I don't know anything about the 7800's graphics mode and programming, so this may not even be doable but, if you split Kong into 2 sections, each could be a 3 color sprite and combined you'd get the 4 colors that Marco used. The white in the eyes is only used above the nose, and all the 4th color Marco added is from the shoulders down, so it would seem to me if Kong could be made from 2 sprites (one from the top of head to the nose, and the other from the nose down), you could get the 4 colors. it does look nice in Marco's bitmap.

Bob

I appreciate the suggestion, but anything I do to implement the 4th color is going to drive code changes, and I've frozen the code except for bug fixes. Redefining sprites and colors are changes to data so I'm still open to doing that.

Perry

I've been forgetting to mention this: on the rivet screen, the rivets can have pixels added to the center (the light blue portion) instead of that light blue being just a horizontal line. I cant post a pic because I'm posting from my phone, but you can see the arcade & the rom I sent a while back for examples of this.

I figured out the bug that causes the fireballs to take "invisible ladders". There is a state were the fireball's can sit stationary at the top of a ladder. I didn't have the state coded correctly for the cement screen, so instead of standing still, the fireball would do the "jump out of the oil can" animation, and then think it was at the level of the oil can. It was then possible for the fireball to line up with the ladder at that level and take it down, even though it was phyically at the top level. This can only happen when the game level is >= 3. I was able to get it to happen last night and noticed the jumping animation which led me to the cause. I'll post an update with bug fixes today or tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback. Please keep it coming.

• Like 2

30-Apr-13 NEWS FLASH!

I have a second box that I've decided to send out for the 2nd place winner. I'll give till this Friday for submissions. Don't think anyone will beat Trebor, but there is plenty of room to make second place. The changes I've just made to fix the fireball behavior on the cement level makes it a little easier since they can't come down the moving ladders any more.

Here's are some fixes for the latest release candidate.

1) Fixed problem with fireball coming down "invisible" ladder on cement level.

2) Fixed corruption to Mario sprite when going up/down near top of ladder.

3) Fixed bad pixel in "option" on the menu screen.

Not ready to make any color tweaks yet. My basement issues are behind me now so I will be getting my system setup again in the next couple days.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Best I could do with v2...Oh well...really wanted 150,000...can't seem to even crack 140,000:

post-18-0-29538100-1367597600_thumb.pngpost-18-0-82126900-1367597603_thumb.png

I noticed when it goes back to the title screen in version 2 the level reads zero - Not sure if that was intended and probably a moot point with the actual 'full game' release.

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated the game files in the 1st post with some bug fixes and updated Kong sprites thanks to Marco. The end of the contest has come and gone, but I only have one entry, Trebors. The entry from ChuckH was with the demo version from the demo thread and doesn't count. It repeats the same level over and over so can't be used for the contest. With that being said, the 2nd place price of a DK XM box is still up for grabs. A measly 100 points could win of no one else enters, so you don't have any excuses not to try the game out and post an entry. I'll name the 2nd place winner later this week. Please enter!

I actually had this game on pause for over a week I think. I didn't bother to keep playing and submit because I only had one life left and didn't think I had any chance of winning anything because I've never been able to score as high as those other screenshots posted by Trebor. But... after your last post, Tep, I was encouraged to see what more I could do and ended up with my best score so far.

post-9364-0-21399400-1368335410_thumb.png