IGNORED

How to verify a true legitimate factory sealed atari 2600 game?

all_things_sealed

Hello Guys, Not sure if this is the right place to post as Im new to the forums and am thinking of starting a small set of VGA graded atari 2600 games. I was wondering how to tell if a sealed atari 2600 game is a legitimate factory seal and not a re-seal? What things/signs to look for when spotting a re-seal. For instance, like how NES games come with an authentic H-seam/factory vent holes. I would like to get some info/help from the community if possible. This would be great to hear some replies. Thanks.

Hello Guys, Not sure if this is the right place to post as Im new to the forums and am thinking of starting a small set of VGA graded atari 2600 games. I was wondering how to tell if a sealed atari 2600 game is a legitimate factory seal and not a re-seal?

Why would someone who apparently knows nothing about NIB Atari games want to start a "small set of VGA graded atari 2600 games"?

What things/signs to look for when spotting a re-seal. For instance, like how NES games come with an authentic H-seam/factory vent holes.

It's not nearly that simple, and there is no basic rule of thumb. It's not like NES games, which were mostly manufactured by Nintendo. Atari 2600 games were produced by dozens of different manufacturers, all with their own different methods of packaging. Some new games were shrinkwrapped, others were glued shut, and many weren't sealed at all.

Hello Guys, Not sure if this is the right place to post as Im new to the forums and am thinking of starting a small set of VGA graded atari 2600 games. I was wondering how to tell if a sealed atari 2600 game is a legitimate factory seal and not a re-seal? What things/signs to look for when spotting a re-seal. For instance, like how NES games come with an authentic H-seam/factory vent holes. I would like to get some info/help from the community if possible. This would be great to hear some replies. Thanks.

Whats your E-Bay I.D.?
  • Like 1

Why would someone who apparently knows nothing about NIB Atari games want to start a "small set of VGA graded atari 2600 games"?

For my personal collection, that is why! Depending if its a reseal, VGA will refuse to grade.

It's not nearly that simple, and there is no basic rule of thumb. It's not like NES games, which were mostly manufactured by Nintendo. Atari 2600 games were produced by dozens of different manufacturers, all with their own different methods of packaging. Some new games were shrinkwrapped, others were glued shut, and many weren't sealed at all.

What is the point of having VGA grade them? Unless having "graded" games is just a personal interest, something you personally have an interest in for some reason. My opinion... forget that. I can see myself how nice a game/box is, I don't need anyone to tell me, in exchange for my money. Classic videogames are not a good investment (usually), but they make a great hobby. But, to each their own. Usually I see people interested in VGA grading when they are convinced that they're "investing", or are trying to resell for a profit.

As to the answer to your question: experience.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, we've had resellers who claim something desirable is "for their collection". That gives them an opportunity to get hold of the item that they wouldn't otherwise have, sometimes at a bargain. It's all good until that item shows up on ebay at double or even triple the price they originally paid.

Personally I don't think the VGA has any merit at all. I grade my own games' condition. Some of them are almost perfect, and some look pretty trashy. I expect that many of my CIB games don't have the "right" manuals or catalogs, but they have 'em.

• Like 2

Any reason you are asking Bro?

Bro, real collectors don't use VGA. Dude, only eBay resellers trying to scam newbies get things graded. Buddy, since your first post on these forums is about valuing games ***and*** asking about VGA it probably means you are an eBay reseller.

Look hoss... is there any reason why you don't want to provide your eBay ID?

• Like 1

Ok, This is getting out of hand, All i wanted to know is if there was any possible way to spot a resealed atari game as i stated. I want to start up a small collection and have them authenticated by VGA. Sorry any of you guys do not believe in the whole grading process but remember, there are plenty out there that do. Some resellers, some not, some even both. I figured this site would help me out since i have heard great things about it, not to bring me to question it.

Ok, This is getting out of hand, All i wanted to know is if there was any possible way to spot a resealed atari game as i stated.

I basically answered your question in post # 2 above. Furthermore, sealed Atari 2600 games are still fairly abundant, even after 30+ years, and collectors generally don't pay a high premium for them. As such, there isn't really much of a reason for people to reseal them (or have them graded/authenticated, for that matter). This is not an issue like it is with NES games, for various reasons.

I basically answered your question in post # 2 above. Furthermore, sealed Atari 2600 games are still fairly abundant, even after 30+ years, and collectors generally don't pay a high premium for them. As such, there isn't really much of a reason for people to reseal them (or have them graded/authenticated, for that matter). This is not an issue like it is with NES games, for various reasons.

Finally!!! A real response...This makes good sense Bro. As far as VGA grading, it gives me a sense of comfort to know its authentic. Dont mind spending the extra $$$ to get it slabbed, as i have other graded games from other systems...plus i just like the way they display on my shelves. There are only a few titles im looking for like Pac-Man, Kaboom, Space Invaders, Yars Revenge, Centipede, etc. These are games i loved during my childhood era. Just trying to get the feel of that time again if you know what i mean Bro... Thanks for the response, Its much appreciated...

Finally!!! A real response...This makes good sense Bro. As far as VGA grading, it gives me a sense of comfort to know its authentic. Dont mind spending the extra $$$ to get it slabbed, as i have other graded games from other systems...plus i just like the way they display on my shelves. There are only a few titles im looking for like Pac-Man, Kaboom, Space Invaders, Yars Revenge, Centipede, etc. These are games i loved during my childhood era. Just trying to get the feel of that time again if you know what i mean Bro... Thanks for the response, Its much appreciated...

I gave you a real response to your direct question also. Experience.

Also, none of the titles you specifically listed were shrinkwrapped from the factory. At least not in their original release versions. Usually through experience you can tell if they're still sealed or not, but if they're shrinkwrapped, it's not factory, so could be hiding something right there.

Also, none of the titles you specifically listed were shrinkwrapped from the factory. At least not in their original release versions. Usually through experience you can tell if they're still sealed or not, but if they're shrinkwrapped, it's not factory, so could be hiding something right there.

Thx for the info man.

Have you looked into box protectors? This will give you some level of protection for the box, and will more than likely meet the "look good on my shelf" desire. They're way, way cheaper than a VGA slab would be.

Especially since the games you are talking about are extremely common and only worth about $10 each. I don't see much reason to slab them.

• Like 1

Have you looked into box protectors? This will give you some level of protection for the box, and will more than likely meet the "look good on my shelf" desire. They're way, way cheaper than a VGA slab would be.

Especially since the games you are talking about are extremely common and only worth about $10 each. I don't see much reason to slab them.

I agree, those games are very cheap. I also use the box protectors and they can make a shitty box look good.

• Like 1