IGNORED

Light Gun Accuracy

Tempest

Is the poor accuracy of the XE light gun due to the gun or the game program? Has anyone tried the Best Electronics gun to see if it works better? I'd love to play games like Meltdown, Crime Busters, Crossbow, etc. but the light gun accuracy kills the game.

Tempest

The XE light gun was notoriously inaccurate; many game magazines at the time compared it unfavourably with those put out by Sega and Nintendo.

I think, however, that most problems reported with the XE light gun can be traced to the software that it uses. "Bug Hunt" is a perfect example of a terrible XE light gun game; you have to literally point the gun right up to the screen in order to register a hit. "Barnyard Blaster" is much better, and "Crossbow" is the best of the commercial releases (in terms of accuracy, if not playing value).

I have a modified Sega light gun that I use with My XEGS, and it's generally just as accurate as the XE gun.

its mostly because of the software..

several years ago i started to program a lightgun game in machine language.. (never finished ;L) and got good result.. but if you would like to be accurate where you aim & shoot.. the objects must be very bright!... while the background is somwhat darked.. so if you would like to make a succesful game you must be very smart on the graphic design.. or your game will be lame.. if you would like to have fancy graphics.. (then the gameplay my not be accurate)

nir