IGNORED

60 fps video using SIDE 2

phaeron

i made a document describing the process how to convert a video to be steamed out of a SIDE2 cart in WINDOWS operating system...

here it is:

Where do I find encvideo50n.exe, encaudio60.exe and muxvideo50.exe?

In the folder posted by Avery

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211689-60-fps-video-using-side-2/?p=2747884

there are encvideo50n.cpp and encaudio60.cpp.

I found a8_ntsc.vdscript and a8_pal.vdscript here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211689-60-fps-video-using-side-2/?p=3721294

• Like 3

It works!

I have three problems (PAL):

1. at the end of my video (or downloaded ones like Dragon's Lair intro) I get this message on Atari: "Read error 5100 E0E0E0E0"; perhaps it's normal.

EDIT Doesn't happen on real hardware.

2. I download videos from youtube with this online tool: https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com When I try to convert them with VirtualDub, first I get the message "AVI: variable bit rate audio detected", then when I try to save as AVI I get the message "no audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format".

3. nowadays many video files are MKV and not AVI; what should I do to load them in VirtualDub?

I'm having major audio issues with my conversion, but also some existing ones. Doesn't seem to matter if it's NTSC or PAL. There's a nasty "clicking" or hum. It's not like the audio is too loud. When trying the latest Altirra, the problem is even worse. I may have to post video to show.

To remove audio and video noise that happen every few seconds (see previous post), I bought a SanDisk 16GB Ultra but it doesn't load the video.

Perhaps it's a too big CF card?

When I turn on the computer, with the other working CF card, I get the message "Invalid partition table" before SpartaDos copyright message.

With this non working CF I get the message "Disk error".

To remove audio and video noise that happen every few seconds (see previous post), I bought a SanDisk 16GB Ultra but it doesn't load the video.

Perhaps it's a too big CF card?

When I turn on the computer, with the other working CF card, I get the message "Invalid partition table" before SpartaDos copyright message.

With this non working CF I get the message "Disk error".

The audio glitches I am talking about are constant though - i I had to guess by listening to it, I'd say a click at the start of every frame.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know why every few seconds there's an audio and video noise?

Perhaps I have to change CF card?

Problem solved with a new card.

Transcend 1GB every few seconds has an audio and video noise, SanDisk 16GB Ultra is incompatible with Side2, SanDisk Ultra II 1GB is perfect.

• Like 3

Problem solved with a new card.

Transcend 1GB every few seconds has an audio and video noise, SanDisk 16GB Ultra is incompatible, SanDisk Ultra II 1GB is perfect.

I'll have to order some new cards. I've had nothing but success with my Transcend 2GB cards with all of my devices (IDE2+, SIDE2), but this video player must really thrash the hardware (I mean that in a good way) because I get a lot of errors when just trying to initialize the player.

• Like 1

The video player is moving several hundred KB/s (yes: kilobytes) off the card as opposed to the c. 60KB/s of which the CPU is capable, so yes: it gets thrashed. :)

Haven't used Transcend cards for five years or more after I realised they wouldn't work reliably with anything I had. Low-capacity (1GB-4GB) Sandisk Ultra/Ultra II is the way to go.

• Like 5

WoOoW !!!

Got working the Incognito-mapped version correctly, but must mount / load the player directly as executable (generated an .ATR version that did not work). CF Card is SanDisk Extreme-III (2GB). Also got it working without a hitch, on SIDE-I and SIDE-II carts on 800XL.

The VP930 LCD / DVDO iSCAN-HD combo seem to render the streaming without a sweat, very sharp, and relatively vivid colors, although I definitely prefer the "virtual-colors" rendered in Composite mode (both Y/C and Composite can be inspected real-time, and below are the vis-a-vis examples of TRON, first composite and then Y/C (sVideo)). On the Sony large-CRT (Wega) it looks crappy.

post-29379-0-53254700-1499831549_thumb.jpg post-29379-0-54531000-1499831585_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-91580600-1499831619_thumb.jpg post-29379-0-35089900-1499831640_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-65010100-1499831772_thumb.jpg post-29379-0-65608900-1499831800_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-98818100-1499831826_thumb.jpg post-29379-0-70462300-1499831851_thumb.jpg

Anyhow, just amazing, to say the least... I do not believe the HW could have been pushed to these limits back in early-mid 80's... or even later... I don't recall any storage solution with a form-factor and performance combination appropriate-enough for extracting so much juice out of the Atari platform. I wonder what Jay Miner & Team (including Doug Nubaer) would say if they could see this...

Kudos for such AMAZING 5K of code!!! :-o :grin:

• Like 2

WoOoW !!!

Got working the Incognito-mapped version correctly, but must mount / load the player directly as executable (generated an .ATR version that did not work). CF Card is SanDisk Extreme-III (2GB). Also got it working without a hitch, on SIDE-I and SIDE-II carts on 800XL.

The VP930 LCD / DVDO iSCAN-HD combo seem to render the streaming without a sweat, very sharp, and relatively vivid colors, although I definitely prefer the "virtual-colors" rendered in Composite mode (both Y/C and Composite can be inspected real-time, and below are the vis-a-vis examples of TRON, first composite and then Y/C (sVideo)). On the Sony large-CRT (Wega) it looks crappy.

Anyhow, just amazing, to say the least... I do not believe the HW could have been pushed to these limits back in early-mid 80's... or even later... I don't recall any storage solution with a form-factor and performance combination appropriate-enough for extracting so much juice out of the Atari platform. I wonder what Jay Miner & Team (including Doug Nubaer) would say if they could see this...

Kudos for such AMAZING 5K of code!!! :-o :grin:

Can you upload a video of this somewhere for us all to ahhh and ohhh at?

Harvey

Can you upload a video of this somewhere for us all to ahhh and ohhh at?

Harvey

SURE!

Here's Dragon's Lair, probably best NTSC encoded sample here (please, force quality to 480p).

Playback from A800's composite signal (via DVDO iScan-HD processor). It was impossible to get white-balance right during recording (my apologies):

Hey! I could even see the A800's RF modulator output on Channel-3: :grin: ;)

Enjoy!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

help me please :)

I put tron img by USB img tool as raw data to 1GB Kingstone CF, put SIDE2 with CF to Atari, mount movplay.xex with SDRIVE to D1, boot from SDRIVE MOVPLAY.xex.

tool inform me: PAL, OK, then any error IDE D1D1D1D1 D1D1D1D1D1D1D1

what is the problem?

I try to set Qmeg ON\OFF, set ramdisk 128 - 1MB, SpartaDOS ON\OFF, VBXE ON\OFF, COVOX, Stereo ON\OFF . . and many combinations :) Still the same error. When I try to use mpideii.xex i get error D5D5D5D5 D5D5D5D5D5D5D5D5 :) I use 3 different CF cards, but all Kingstone, 1GB and 2x 4GB.

I created best possible videos for SIDE II :) I converted many videos, cropped, added saturation, appened and tested, so there are the best of my work :) enjoy!

https://uloz.to/!XCqLTo2pt7xu/side-ii-videos-rar

imgs:

clips from 2unlimited
Amiga demos
BadApple (JAP, EN, a PPAP icon_e_smile.gif) - Best possible 8 and 16 bit version ever created !! :)
clips from Cappella
Epic Rap Battles
Laurel and Hardy - Liberty (čb)
Matrix - my best scene

unpacked - 2,66 GB packed cca 870.

• Like 8

I created best possible videos for SIDE II :) I converted many videos, cropped, added saturation, appened and tested, so there are the best of my work :) enjoy!

https://uloz.to/!XCqLTo2pt7xu/side-ii-videos-rar

imgs:

clips from 2unlimited

Amiga demos

BadApple (JAP, EN, a PPAP icon_e_smile.gif) - Best possible 8 and 16 bit version ever created !! :)

clips from Cappella

Epic Rap Battles

Laurel and Hardy - Liberty (čb)

Matrix - my best scene

unpacked - 2,66 GB packed cca 870.

I'm enjoying The Matrix right now but via Altirra. I don't have a PAL Atari.

Great work!

This makes me think of something that is rather amusing. First we had music on Vinyl, then we had 8-track tapes, then the cassette tapes, then CDs then digital downloads... Movies we started getting them on BetaMax, VHS, VCD, DVD, Bluray, etc... now we can go back and put movies on Compact Flash cards.

Earlier in the thread someone asked if anyone had attempted to convert a full length movie. Well, I tried that mencoder command a while back on the first episode of Firefly. Unfortunately the resulting file was 14.4GB whereas the original MKV rip was 1.2GB. So I'm assuming I did something... well wrong!

Did anyone get a working mencoder command? Shame VirtualDub doesn't have a native Linux version (or even work in wine...)

This makes me think of something that is rather amusing. First we had music on Vinyl, then we had 8-track tapes, then the cassette tapes, then CDs then digital downloads... Movies we started getting them on BetaMax, VHS, VCD, DVD, Bluray, etc... now we can go back and put movies on Compact Flash cards.

Earlier in the thread someone asked if anyone had attempted to convert a full length movie. Well, I tried that mencoder command a while back on the first episode of Firefly. Unfortunately the resulting file was 14.4GB whereas the original MKV rip was 1.2GB. So I'm assuming I did something... well wrong!

Did anyone get a working mencoder command? Shame VirtualDub doesn't have a native Linux version (or even work in wine...)

You might not have done anything wrong. I believe TV shows I've tried (47 minutes for modern shows? 53 minutes vintage shows?) for 1-hour time slots came out at about 1.7GB conversions. That's for NTSC encoding. Your 1.2 GB sounds about right if you are converting for PAL

It's been about 3 months since I've converted a video and I've forgotten all the parameter again. Luckily, I generally tossed the commands into a .sh file. I'm too lazy to write a general purpose bash shell script to do a conversion. I just edit the shell script each time.

Here's an example.

#NTSC conversion

mencoder -nosound -of rawvideo -ovc raw -vf hue=0:2,scale=160:192,format=yv12,harddup,swapuv -sws 6 -ofps 59.9227 'atari_v5_2.mp4' -o atari_v5.raw

mplayer -quiet 'atari_v5_2.mp4' -ao pcm:waveheader:file=atari_v5.wav -vc dummy -vo null -channels 1

sox atari_v5.wav -C 0.5 -c 1 -b 8 -r 15700 atari_v5.u8 gain -l 10

./encvideo60n <atari_v5.raw atari_v5.mov

./encaudio60n <atari_v5.u8 atari_v5.aud

./mux60n atari_v5.mov atari_v5.aud atari_v5.bin

dd bs=512 seek=17 if=atari_v5.bin of=/media/sda2/Emulators/Altirra/atari_v5.dd

#PAL conversion

mencoder -nosound -of rawvideo -ovc raw -vf hue=0:1,scale=160:192,format=yv12,harddup,swapuv -sws 6 -ofps 49.86 atari_v5_2.mp4 -o atari_v5-pal.raw

#mplayer -quiet -ao pcm:waveheader:file=atari_v5-pal.wav -vc dummy -vo null -channels 1

sox atari_v5.wav -C 0.5 -c 1 -b 8 -r 15558 atari_v5-pal.u8 gain -l 10

./encvideo50n <atari_v5-pal.raw atari_v5-pal.mov

./encaudio60n <atari_v5-pal.u8 atari_v5-pal.aud

./mux50n atari_v5-pal.mov atari_v5-pal.aud atari_v5-pal.bin

dd bs=512 seek=17 if=atari_v5-pal.bin of=/media/sda2/Emulators/Altirra/atari_v5-pal.dd

PAL conversion is usually commented out as I have only NTSC Ataris.

In the meconder command the second hue value is usually 2 for NTSC videos and only 1 for PAL. NTSC Ataris need help with color saturation.

The second audio extraction is commented out because the .WAV is the same for either conversion

For the first run I usually comment everything out below the sox command. I want to see the output and see if there is any clipping. If the content is non-musical then I typically allow clipping occurences up to 3-5. Otherwise, no clipping allowed.

If there is no clipping I push the gain parameter higher and run sox again. Repeat until I find a maximum.

Some audio is just too dynamic. By the time gain is lowered until there is no clipping the volume of converted video is just too low or full of noise. I'm not sure where the noise comes from. At this point I have to edit the audio file. I use audacity.

The use of dd in this example just offsets the video by Phaeron's required 16 sectors. With an image file the seek value is 17. Going to a real CF card I think it's 16.

dd is kind of slow for making an image file. It would probably be better to do something like cat 16_byte_padding converted_video_file > CF_image_file ; image would be truncated but that's OK. It's just the end of the video not the end of the CF card.

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 1