Photo

60 fps video using SIDE 2

214 replies to this topic

#201 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Dragonstomper

• 817 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 10:29 AM

Ah, you've got that backwards, my 1080p version of the episode is 1.2GB in size.  after doing the earlier mencoder you mentioned, the video was 14.4 GB, so much larger, and VLC couldn't play it.

I'll give the conversion a try later when I get  home.  Really want to show off an Atari 8bit playing Firefly...

#202 a8isa1 OFFLINE  

a8isa1

Stargunner

• 1,364 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 11:51 AM

oh yeah.  the raw video file (.MOV in example) is really big.   10X bigger than the source file, at least.  That's when the source is 720p or lower resolution.   All conversions are getting downscaled to 160x192, but that's YUV raw frames. At 60 (or 50) fps it's a lot of data.

Edited by a8isa1, Wed Sep 6, 2017 11:54 AM.

#203 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Dragonstomper

• 817 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 11:56 AM

Hmm, maybe what we should come up with is a handbrake profile for ripping 8bit movies?  Should work in both Windows / Linux / iFruit.

#204 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

River Patroller

• 2,460 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 5:19 PM

Hello guys

Maybe this is what leech is trying to say, but....

If a movie is converted to "8 bit Atari", does this result in 25/30 full pictures per second?  Why use 50/60 pictures, the Atari only shows 25 or 30 per second?

Or are only the changes stored?  Since picture #2 overrides picture #1, it would/should be possible to store only the differences between picture #2 and picture #1 in picture #2.

Sincerely

Mathy

#205 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Dragonstomper

• 817 posts

Posted Thu Sep 7, 2017 2:01 AM

Nope, all I was trying to figure out was why a 1080p video converted into a 160x192 video was so huge!  And asking if anyone has tried to create a handbrake profile so if I wanted to do a direct DVD/Bluray rip to this Atari format, it'd be pretty much just clicking on a few buttons and waiting.

I work with a bunch of nerds and I think showing this off to them would make them a bit happy.  I already sent the link to one of the guys I work with and he was mightily impressed.

#206 phaeron OFFLINE  

phaeron

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,279 posts

Posted Fri Sep 8, 2017 12:52 AM

If a movie is converted to "8 bit Atari", does this result in 25/30 full pictures per second?  Why use 50/60 pictures, the Atari only shows 25 or 30 per second?
Or are only the changes stored?  Since picture #2 overrides picture #1, it would/should be possible to store only the differences between picture #2 and picture #1 in picture #2.

The player requires full frame rate (50/60) for two reasons: it has no frame repeating capability, and the audio is interleaved with the video. Repeating frames to run at a lower frame rate would require more complex audio buffering. There is a benefit to running at 50/60 even if the source material is only 24/25/30Hz: the encoder does temporal dithering, changing the dither pattern each frame. This is not feasible at lower frame rates since the flicker would be objectionable.

The stream is not delta encoded, it's all full video frames. There's no time to do that -- ANTIC is literally reading each frame straight out of the IDE port. Remember, the video runs at 509KB/sec. There's no time to do anything with the data, because it's coming in faster than the 6502 can process it.

A whole movie will indeed take an awful lot of space for conversion. 160x192 in YV12 at 59.92Hz takes 2.7MB/sec, or 165MB/min. It is possible to run pipes to avoid having to store the intermediate streams, so that everything goes through memory and all that comes out is the final video. The final output will still take 31MB/minute. But hey, now you know why video and audio compression are necessary.

#207 Poison OFFLINE  

Poison

Moonsweeper

• 297 posts

Posted Fri Sep 8, 2017 2:51 AM

is possible to add some functions to the player? such as forwarding, pause, repeating, jump (for example) over 500 frames ? When I convert full movie (2 hours) or more parts of some sitcom I still must watch it from begin :)

#208 Wrathchild OFFLINE  

Wrathchild

Stargunner

• 1,876 posts

Posted Fri Sep 8, 2017 7:22 AM

Literally there is very little time to do anything else but there is some hope.

Last year I'd asked phaeron when considering if an engine to fit around the Dragon's Lair video was possible and the reply was:

"The problem with opening up CPU time is that the player needs to write to AUDF1+WSYNC on every scanline in order to handle streaming audio. That having been said, there's about 47 scanlines in NTSC where the player is just pushing samples from a buffer and waiting for the next frame, so that's enough to run simple game logic. If you can get the game logic simple enough, simply run the transition test on every frame and drive it off a state machine for the branch points. If you need more complex game logic, then consider writing a VLIW bytecode interpreter where the interpreter runs a handful of the same generic opcode every frame, like: IF variable[branch] THEN variable[dst] = (variable[src] AND and_value) + add_value. The trick is to make the PC one of the variables so stores and conditional stores serve as jumps and branches. Running the same generic instruction allows the timing to be kept consistent, which is important to avoid a 50/60Hz hum in the audio output."

#209 Philsan OFFLINE  

Philsan

River Patroller

• 3,407 posts
  • New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 1:39 PM

Video file: https://www.dropbox....ldrake.img?dl=0

#210 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 4:48 PM

Wow the quality looks really good. Can you post the video file (perhaps a shared file in DropBox)?

- Michael

#211 Philsan OFFLINE  

Philsan

River Patroller

• 3,407 posts
  • New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions

Posted Sat Oct 7, 2017 3:42 PM

Wow the quality looks really good. Can you post the video file (perhaps a shared file in DropBox)?

- Michael

Done!

#212 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Sat Oct 7, 2017 5:03 PM

Done!

Either I'm missing a well hidden download link or perhaps you forgot to add it  ;) .

I'm away from my stuff for the weekend so whatever the situation is, no rush.

- Michael

#213 Stephen ONLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 6,511 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Sat Oct 7, 2017 5:48 PM

Either I'm missing a well hidden download link or perhaps you forgot to add it  ;) .

I'm away from my stuff for the weekend so whatever the situation is, no rush.

- Michael

Link is in post #209

#214 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Sat Oct 7, 2017 6:55 PM

Link is in post #209

I must have gotten distracted by the video, but now I see it. Thanks Stephen, and thanks Philsan for posting it  :) .

- Michael

#215 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,761 posts

Posted Today, 4:42 AM

Is there any way we could get the frame size including audio down to 8192 bytes? I realize this would upset the tool chain somewhat, but if we could fit each frame into sixteen sectors, we could put the video files into a FAT partition with an 8KB cluster size. The player could then build a table of sector offsets prior to commencing playback, and the player would just need to pull sector numbers from the list instead of bumping the sector number by 17 each frame.

Thoughts? :)

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users