IGNORED

Luchsenstein 3D

obschan

What I think is one of the great assets of this game, besides graphics, is the smooth gameplay. My oh my, does it run without hickups. A superb frame rate!! This makes it a joy to play. I mean: I really loved Steel Talons despite its slow 3 frames per second rate. But this must be well over 20, 30 maybe.

On real hardware, depending on what is on the screen between 18 and 30.

Edited by obschan

Don't worry about John Carmack, he has actively promoted less restrictive software rights and released sourcecodes for all his major games. He likes stuff like this. ;)

For sure, he has way more to play with than bothering with w3d sequels ... Armadillo seems great fun !!

Edited by obschan

EDIT: Just tweeted a screenshot to John Carmack and he replied.

He said he had planned to use the Lynx vertically " to make efficient use of the scaling hardware for column stretching". So the official Wolfenstein 3D would have been quite different.

I thought the Lynx scaling hardware worked equally well in both dimensions. Why would it be faster scaling horizontal spans vs vertical spans?

After countless work hours, 108 Stars and I are presenting the playable Luchstenstein 3D demo.

The main goal for us was to see what we could do with the engine and then hopefully make plan for a full content game.

Keys :

A : shoot

B : strafe

Option 1 : open doors

I would like to personally thank 108 Stars for his patience working with me painfully limiting his creative and artistic mind ! :)

I haven´t followed the way of development so far of that game, but I have to say that it´s well done!

The only thing though that disturbs me is the status bar being rather big compared to the size of the screen & to the right side instead of "down". I think for playability it would be great to either map it to a button (e.g. only show it when needed), or to make it smaller at least. I don´t think it would hurt gameplay if it stays where it is in the original game...

What do you think?

Edited by woolfman

The gameplay is why it is on the right actually; again, the Lynx has the lowest vertical resolution of any handheld like I explained in the other thread, and it would imo be bad to cut even more from the gameplay vertically. :)

About making the panel smaller I think this is an issue with the hardware. The bigger the gameplay window, the more demanding it will be for the Lynx. Look at all the first person shooters on SNES and MD not running in fullscreen.

I have also made a video about the game, for anyone who does not have a flashcard. Excuse the bad English. :)

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 8

About making the panel smaller I think this is an issue with the hardware. The bigger the gameplay window, the more demanding it will be for the Lynx.

If you guys need a hand with optimising the engine's "C" code or converting it to pure 6502 I'd be glad to help.

• Like 1

If an 8-bit Atari with no hardware assist for scaling or blitting

in a Wolfenstein-style engine, it should be child's play for a Lynx.

As for the HUD panel, the Jaguar version got rid of it and overlaid the health/ammo indicators directly on the playfield. That would be the ideal approach here.

• Like 1

You don't know the CC65 tool chain very well ;). Its very good at generating crap code when you don't expect it to.

I know enough lol, i've had to change a lot of array code in order to free masses of RAM... It's funny because whilst the code ends up much smaller and faster it ends up not as tidy. Kinda goes against everything i've learnt from using modern compilers. I expect there's a lot more I need to learn. Obschan is extremely talented, I am sure he understands CC65 deficiencies 100 times better than I do...

Screen updates for very simple games go to a standstill very fast when he number of objects get bigger. I have no clue how Obschan got around this. But the game is very responsive to controls and does a 3D illusion in real time.

If you compare his with EOTB drawing speed. Well... Perhaps this is a bit optimized already.

My optimisation offer was at the suggestion of removing or reducing the side status panel. When you do that you have two options :-

1) Cast more rays into the scene so you see more of the world (which makes the scene bitmap bigger in X).

2) Add more border to the left or the right.

If you want to show more of the world you have to cast more rays into the scene. That increases the amount of CPU time needed to render a single frame. If you could get more performance out of the core routines you can either increase the frame rate or increase the scene bitmap. As with all games you trade things against each other to make it more fun.

• Like 1