IGNORED

krslam's collection: If I had 38, make that 46, bookcases....

krslam

There are a number of items in there that seem to be impossible to get. So psyched to see all of your stuff properly displayed! Congrats Krslam. So sick!

Miss hunting with you. I know it wasn't long and it's been a while, but it was fun while it lasted!

I keep looking, and man that is such an awesome collection. Great job displaying/photographing. Most of you heathens couldn't possibly appreciate what he's done here. MWAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the kind words, Ian. I don't haunt the thrifts like I (we) used to but still find stuff occasionally at garage sales or thru craigslist. Hope the hunting is good in Texas (what happened to Chicago?).

The fact that you took the time to set up all these shoots with one bookcase is amazing in itself! Maybe you can loan it to Ian so he can do the same thing. :P. Really awesome collection a shame it can't all be out at once. Maybe you should keep one platform out and just rotate stock once a year. Thanks for sharing!

That's pretty much what I do. I keep half a dozen systems set up semi-permanently, and rotate thru the others.

• 3 months later...

First Update! Here's bookcase #39. Top two shelves are Amiga stuff I've had for awhile, the remainder are new acquisitions. These range from the utterly mundane (PS2 sports games I got for free) to my WiiU (the first time I ever bought a new, current generation system). Other highlights include a stack of CD-i demos (the unmarked cases on the bottom shelf), a mint boxed NES Power set, some weird Vectrex multicarts, my first Intellivision homebrews, and an N64 disk drive.

post-3842-0-11642400-1500056355_thumb.jpg

Edited by krslam

• 3 months later...

Up to 40 bookcases now, another mix of old and new-to-me acquisitions. Here's my Apple// collection (//+,//c,//e, //GS, and a Laser 128 clone) plus my meager collection of boxed Apple// games (first 3 shelves). Next is my equally small Atari ST boxed games collection accompanied by a newly acquired STacy, and the bottom 2 shelves are miscellaneous other new stuff.

post-3842-0-45049200-1500056441_thumb.jpg

Edited by krslam

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bookcase 41 filled. Old stuff includes my PET 2001-8, a 'petkeys' VIC-20, and my boxed C64 disk/tape software. Bottom 2 shelves are new acquisitions, about half of which came from the $1 bins at the Kelso Gamers for Kids show. Lots of it's shovelware, but I figure I can get a dollar's worth of enjoyment out of any game.

post-3842-0-68394600-1500056683_thumb.jpg

Edited by krslam

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Up to 42. Some good finds over the last few months, including my first PAL C64, a Channel F (missing the cover but it works and only cost $5), a nice CD-i lot including the elusive Zelda's Adventure, Intellivision Tutankham (giving me 124 out of 125 original releases), and homebrews for the Sega Master and Atari 7800. For filler this time, I used misc TRS-80 computers (Model I, MC-10, Model 100 and it's sibling the NEC 8201A) and various matching software. The bigger Models III and 4 don't fit on the shelves.

post-3842-0-44360800-1500056764_thumb.jpg

Edited by krslam

Oh... my... goodness. I don't know if I missed it in an earlier post, but how long did it take you to accumulate all of that?

Simply amazing!

I've been collecting since about 1995, though a few pieces, such as my first Atari 2600 (1979) and C64 (1982) are older. I've slowed down since 2006 or so as supplies dried up and prices rose. Had to wait until I retired to have time to organize and photograph it all.

• 9 months later...

Bookcase 43 is finally filled. The pace of acquisitions has slowed greatly, as it took me 10 months to fill this one, only two shelves are actually recent pickups, and several of those are just boxed copies of items I previously had loose. Highlights among the new stuff are homebrews for the Atari 2600 and 7800, C64, and TI99. For filler this time, I used my boxed Atari 8-bit disk software, my meager collection of old PC games, and some more old computers, including two of my oldest: a Heathkit-Zenith H-89A and an Osborn 1.

I'm just about out of filler items to show, too, so bookcase 44 (if I find enough stuff) will likely be the last.

post-3842-0-47159200-1500056845_thumb.jpg

Edited by krslam
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

How many square feet are you working with?

Boxed up, it occupies 100 square feet or so stacked floor to ceiling, basically a 12x12 room plus a closet minus space for a futon, TV, and other stuff (including the one bookcase). Most of the vintage computer equipment is stored elsewhere.

It's never all on display at once, as I explained in the opening post. 43 30-inch bookcases would require 107.5 feet of wall space. That's a ~40'x20' room given that some wallspace is consumed by doors and windows. I don't have anyplace nearly that big to set it all up in, which is why I took the photos this way.