IGNORED

Adam Power Supply

StarshipUK

AtariAge member DJPUBBA used to convert PC Power Supplies (both desktop case and slimline style) for use with the ADAM, but I don't think he is still doing so. It would be best to send him a PM directly.

I think there are still a couple ADAM Printers currently up on eBay for dirt cheap, but from what the sellers have stated in their replies to me, it sounds like the printing function for both is not working. However, the power supplies in the system are operational, so all you do is disconnect the connections between the Printer Head Assembly and the Printer Logic Board and you have yourself one helluva big ADAM Power Supply.

You should also send a PM to ADAMcon.

Thanks for Info. I checked Ebay.com (not logged in as I am in the UK and some sellers restrict UK people from buying large heavy items like this) and can't find any standalone Adam Printers at the moment (Searching for "Adam Printer"), but will contact the people you suggested and see if I can find anything.

Thanks for Info. I checked Ebay.com (not logged in as I am in the UK and some sellers restrict UK people from buying large heavy items like this) and can't find any standalone Adam Printers at the moment (Searching for "Adam Printer"), but will contact the people you suggested and see if I can find anything.

Well, now that I know you live in the U.K., I would try tracking down Keith Marner through different web searches that are available or even Facebook. He ran a large and successful ADAM Users Group in the 80's and 90's, but unfortunately I lost touch with him years ago. It's worth a shot, otherwise you are at the mercy of U.S. sellers or waiting for one to show up on your side of the big pond.

I do have a printer that does not work, but the Power Supply is good. However, I have some spare parts that I think will do the trick to make it fully functional. If the repair fails, I might be willing to sell it to you to be used as a Power Supply so that you can get up and running. Check around and in a couple weeks if you still need a Power Supply, send me a PM.

Sorry to hear this djpubba and I hope that everything works out for you and your's in the end. You are without a doubt one of my favorite AtariAge members and I always loved reading news and looking at pictures of all your creations and modifications.

• 8 months later...

I've had an ongoing search for the type of unit djpubba mentioned he started with. I really don't like dragging out the printer to use the Adam and I don't mind making a PS myself (I can solder etc). Has anyone found a suitable power supply to start from? It seems the niggle is having the -5V. Ideally this would be relatively small and encased but repairable.

I've had an ongoing search for the type of unit djpubba mentioned he started with. I really don't like dragging out the printer to use the Adam and I don't mind making a PS myself (I can solder etc). Has anyone found a suitable power supply to start from? It seems the niggle is having the -5V. Ideally this would be relatively small and encased but repairable.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MAX1681ESA%2B/MAX1681ESA%2B-ND/947772

Thanks for the suggestions! The first one is a bit over my head. I can read schematics and solder etc, but I can't actually design circuits.

The power supply linked to looks like the one in my arcade cab. I have little ones and wanted to avoid having exposed power terminals like that, so am still on the hunt for something enclosed (possibly an old AT PS?).

• 2 weeks later...

That power supply and a volt meter should be enough to get you going. Usually +5 is red, and ground is black. On the Adam side, either use a printer cable you already have or just a brand new DB9 will do the trick. Here is the Adam side information from the Adam Technical Manual:

Printer/Memory Console Interface Cable

The printer/console interface cable consists of 7 insulated wires and one uninsulated drain wire.

Pin Color Voltage/Description

1 Brown +12L VDC + 0.508 V - 0.6 V

2 Red +12I VDC + 0.497 V - 0.6 V

3 Orange +5.075 VDC + 0.079 V - 0.255 V

4 Yellow -5.15 VDC + 0.25 V

5 Green Ground

6 Blue AdamNet

7 Violet Reset

8 -- Drain

9 -- No wire

Power Supply Output to CPU (via Printer/Memory Console Interface Cable)

Voltage Full Load Current

+5V 2.75 A

-5V 0.2 A

+12VI 0.6 A

+12VL 0.3 A

I wish I could get a standalone power supply for my Adam to save space. When you can get people to make them they're usually pretty expensive.

Not overly expensive when DJPUBBA was converting PC power supplies. I acquired two (one slimline that I sold in an ADAM bundle and one full size like in a PC desktop) for $40 each which included shipping.

Not overly expensive when DJPUBBA was converting PC power supplies. I acquired two (one slimline that I sold in an ADAM bundle and one full size like in a PC desktop) for $40 each which included shipping.

That's not bad at all. Hopefully he'll start making them again.

• Like 1

That power supply and a volt meter should be enough to get you going. Usually +5 is red, and ground is black. On the Adam side, either use a printer cable you already have or just a brand new DB9 will do the trick. Here is the Adam side information from the Adam Technical Manual:

Printer/Memory Console Interface Cable

The printer/console interface cable consists of 7 insulated wires and one uninsulated drain wire.

Pin Color Voltage/Description

1 Brown +12L VDC + 0.508 V - 0.6 V

2 Red +12I VDC + 0.497 V - 0.6 V

3 Orange +5.075 VDC + 0.079 V - 0.255 V

4 Yellow -5.15 VDC + 0.25 V

5 Green Ground

6 Blue AdamNet

7 Violet Reset

8 -- Drain

9 -- No wire

Power Supply Output to CPU (via Printer/Memory Console Interface Cable)

Voltage Full Load Current

+5V 2.75 A

-5V 0.2 A

+12VI 0.6 A

+12VL 0.3 A

Thank you for that info and confirmation it would work OK. Just bought it. I have some Molex and DB9 connectors so making a little mating cable should be straightforward.

• 3 weeks later...

Had some down time to start making up the cables last night for this and I had some (potentially dumb) questions.

- There are 2 pins on the DB9 that are for +12V, can I just solder the 12V wire from my power supply to one of the sockets (I'm using solder cup DB9) and run a small (appropriately gauged) wire to the other?

- How do I deal with the drain? Do I even have to?

All I'll be hooking up are pins 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 from what I can tell since there are no printer functions etc. Correct?

One is for Logic (RF circuit), and the other for inductive loads (Data Drive).

Not sure if they can be put together, and was thinking of using a 7812 for the logic to drive the RF circuit. Been perusing the Schematics a bit to build one inside the ADAM using a mini-itx power supply and 12v or 19v laptop adapter.

Edited by ZarK

All I'll be hooking up are pins 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 from what I can tell since there are no printer functions etc. Correct?

Printer function uses the ADAMnet bus. In theory one could fashion a db9 to rj12 adapter to plug the printer in.

• 1 month later...

*Finally* done with this. Seems like I spent an eternity waiting for parts and having some free time line up. Not the prettiest thing, but it works! I added a DB9 shield which isn't shown in the picture.

Also, do the colors look right? I thought the word processor had a blue background...

P1010657.JPG

P1010658.JPG

P1010659.JPG

Thanks everyone for all the help and ideas!

Edited by telengard