IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC Season 5.19: Timber

72750. This is definitely better than Choplifter, and the designers do deserve credit for trying something different. Still, I doubt I'll play this one again.

post-3015-0-06723500-1368898214_thumb.png

I disagree. Choplifter was a classic game that received many home ports. The arcade version may have been a tad too hard, but the home ports had more realistic difficulty.

I did 179,000.

To imagine the best ever score on this is 6 million is just madness. I'd love to see the guy get that, there has to be a trick!

Ok - some things I've learned. You control where the bear comes out. He always comes out, on a regular basis, aligned on the screen to get you with the bee hive. You can use this to make him appear away from the next tree (pause a second, let him appear, then run to the tree).

You can axe the beehives for 500 points.

Trees go down after five hits. You can also deliver four hits, and a nudge to make a tree come down. Use this nudging when trying to get all the trees to go one way.

Someone mentioned a doozy earlier - at level 4 onwards if all the trees fall the same way you get 5000 bonus points. I find this can be done for levels 4, 5, 6, and 7. On level 8 though it all happens too fast for me, and I can't manage it. I'd say try to get them one way on the four levels I mentioned, after that just hack away.

The turkey is worth 1000 bonus points, and he falls out the top of the tree as it hits the ground. As the tree falls run to get him (but on levels 7 onwards I don't bother, there's not enough time).

On the earlier levels (pre-5) you can be tempted to wait and just kill off a lot of hives. I've not found this scores any extra points though, since you lose the time bonus.

Sometimes falling over a stump - which freezes you for a couple seconds - is the fastest way to the next tree.

You do not need to be completely aligned with a tree to start hacking it, if you are slightly off the game moves you.

The trees always fall in the same pattern, learn the levels.

The log interlude is random, and gets you 1000 bonus points if completed.

I did 179,000.

To imagine the best ever score on this is 6 million is just madness. I'd love to see the guy get that, there has to be a trick!

Ok - some things I've learned. You control where the bear comes out. He always comes out, on a regular basis, aligned on the screen to get you with the bee hive. You can use this to make him appear away from the next tree (pause a second, let him appear, then run to the tree).

You can axe the beehives for 500 points.

Trees go down after five hits. You can also deliver four hits, and a nudge to make a tree come down. Use this nudging when trying to get all the trees to go one way.

Someone mentioned a doozy earlier - at level 4 onwards if all the trees fall the same way you get 5000 bonus points. I find this can be done for levels 4, 5, 6, and 7. On level 8 though it all happens too fast for me, and I can't manage it. I'd say try to get them one way on the four levels I mentioned, after that just hack away.

The turkey is worth 1000 bonus points, and he falls out the top of the tree as it hits the ground. As the tree falls run to get him (but on levels 7 onwards I don't bother, there's not enough time).

On the earlier levels (pre-5) you can be tempted to wait and just kill off a lot of hives. I've not found this scores any extra points though, since you lose the time bonus.

Sometimes falling over a stump - which freezes you for a couple seconds - is the fastest way to the next tree.

You do not need to be completely aligned with a tree to start hacking it, if you are slightly off the game moves you.

The trees always fall in the same pattern, learn the levels.

The log interlude is random, and gets you 1000 bonus points if completed.

Do you mean that the trees always *appear* in the same patterns?

I wonder why they didn't make it random.

I think it was me that nominated this game, no reason really, it's just a game I'd heard about but never gave it a proper go.

I finally got through 9, couldn't get 10 though...

post-27306-0-52729700-1368927190_thumb.png

Ok, I'm finally through the worst of everything at work. I'm going to sit down tonight and update everything. Can we just consider this week to be a break from the action and I"ll have a new game up on Sunday, where we will continue along?

Thanks for your patience and understanding. I shouldn't have any other things keeping me from keeping this going...until the next school year begins. :)

I vote “yes” for not starting a contest in the middle of the week, especially since the only opportunity I would have had to play this week would have been Monday.

Maybe come back with a double-header? :D

I remember tournaments and multi-game contests being discussed before the season started, but I can’t remember the outcome. Did that get nixed altogether?

Ok, everything is totalled up. I'm really bummed too, because Timber is one of my favorite games. Sucks that I missed it. Anyway, everything will resume tomorrow. I'll post the game and the new week begins on Sunday. :)

Thanks for all your patience. I apprecaite it. :)

I vote “yes” for not starting a contest in the middle of the week, especially since the only opportunity I would have had to play this week would have been Monday.

Maybe come back with a double-header? :D

I remember tournaments and multi-game contests being discussed before the season started, but I can’t remember the outcome. Did that get nixed altogether?

I would love to do multi game tourneys that run for 2 weeks or so. Maybe now that summer vacation is only 8 school days away (not that anyone's counting) I'll have a little more free time. I'll still be working during the summer, but it won't be nearly as stressful. I'll try to work something out. :)

You missed my score in post #5 ;)

Fixed it and the updated the leaderboard to reflect the changes. Sorry about that. :)

Posting the next game and opening it up for submissions today. That'll give you a week and a day to post scores. :)