Photo

Vectrex Homebrew Roms

38 replies to this topic

#1 Manoau2002 OFFLINE  

Manoau2002

Stargunner

• 1,072 posts

Posted Mon May 13, 2013 3:27 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good site to find homebrew Vectrex roms. Also which homebrew vectrex games are noteworthy? Thanks.

#2 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,339 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Mon May 13, 2013 9:25 PM

The best ones you have to buy, unfortunately. Like Protector / Y.A.S.I. (Defender/Space Invaders), Vector Pilot (Time Pilot).
John Dondzilla's site: http://www.classicga....com/files.html has some good homebrews. He made Birds of Prey (Phoenix) which was my favourite until Protector, but I don't know if the rom is available.
Fury has some (5) of his games for free here: http://www.furyunlim..._sgg/m1m7_1.htm
Hope that is a start...

#3 Manoau2002 OFFLINE  

Manoau2002

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,072 posts

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 3:50 AM

The best ones you have to buy, unfortunately. Like Protector / Y.A.S.I. (Defender/Space Invaders), Vector Pilot (Time Pilot).

Are they being sold as rom files or in catridge form? I may eventually buy some homebrew vectrex games in cart form but I am already buying homebrew colecovision games and I think to expand to another system right now would be more than my current finances can allow.

#4 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,339 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 5:18 AM

Now that I think about it, Protector is available to download. Did you get a flash cart, or are you using emulation?
I know what you mean. Colecovision and the Vectrex are similar in regards to homebrews. Usually around $60 and the ROMs aren't available. The Atari 2600 and 7800 are so much more open with source code and rom files it is kind of sad to see the greed in collecting for the Vectrex and Colecovision.

#5 Manoau2002 OFFLINE  

Manoau2002

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,072 posts

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 5:58 AM

Now that I think about it, Protector is available to download. Did you get a flash cart, or are you using emulation?

I bought a vecmulti cart (that uses a micro sd) to use in my vectrex. Ill look for "Protector" once my cart arrives.

#6 Manoau2002 OFFLINE  

Manoau2002

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,072 posts

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 6:04 AM

I know what you mean. Colecovision and the Vectrex are similar in regards to homebrews. Usually around $60 and the ROMs aren't available. The Atari 2600 and 7800 are so much more open with source code and rom files it is kind of sad to see the greed in collecting for the Vectrex and Colecovision.

I do really like the CIB Colecovision releases. They are of top notch quality and its nice getting the manual and box. ( I buy loose original games) Once I own a few more original colecovision games and pay off a couple debts Ill look into buying some homebrew vectrex releases. I think Ill eventually collect the original vectrex games CIB. Because of the small game library it should be cheaper than many other systems to collect CIB. (except for the imager that is)

#7 Richard H. OFFLINE  

Richard H.

Stargunner

• 1,026 posts
  • VirtualBoy 32MBit cart

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 9:13 AM

Try here

(BTW the cart comes with 56 games on the SD card)

#8 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

Jason S. - Lead Developer & CEO

• 8,829 posts

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 9:21 AM

If we could get revival studios to continue development of VexOS BASIC I bet we would see more homebrew.
http://www.revival-s...com/vexosbasic/

Look what batari BASIC did for the 2600 :)

#9 ilovethevectrex OFFLINE  

ilovethevectrex

Dragonstomper

• 531 posts

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 1:36 PM

on classicgamecreations.com, you can download all of the roms. also, there is a vectrex emulator that has a bunch of homebrews built in. but i would recommend doing what i do-buy them in real life :D

#10 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 9,647 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 8:21 PM

If we could get revival studios to continue development of VexOS BASIC I bet we would see more homebrew.
http://www.revival-s...com/vexosbasic/

Look what batari BASIC did for the 2600 :)

Seriously, when is he going to make an announcement about this? Hell, even an acknowledgment that the project has been cancelled would offer some closure. Instead he's left the sentence wide open, driving me bananas in the process. Come on, Martijn! Show us what you got!

#11 Manoau2002 OFFLINE  

Manoau2002

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,072 posts

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 11:54 AM

Do most of the vectrex homebrew games have overlays?

#12 Mayhem OFFLINE  

Mayhem

Commodore Chaos Knight

• 5,019 posts
  • Cartridge master

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 2:16 PM

No, although they have seen a recent revival. Of the recent releases or upcoming, Vectrexians and Vector Pilot from Kristoff Tuts have overlays, the in-shipping Warrior from George Pelonis has one. In the past Logo and Star Sling had them in limited form, along with the limited version of Protector, VecSports Boxing and VeCaves.

#13 wingnut4427 OFFLINE  

wingnut4427

Space Invader

• 43 posts

Posted Mon Feb 8, 2016 1:48 AM

Does anyone know where I can get a rom of Vector Pilot ? I need it for my video. Let's Compare ( Time Pilot )

#14 Mayhem OFFLINE  

Mayhem

Commodore Chaos Knight

• 5,019 posts
  • Cartridge master

Posted Mon Feb 8, 2016 6:26 AM

It hasn't been released, and probably won't be. The game is still being sold for starters...

#15 wingnut4427 OFFLINE  

wingnut4427

Space Invader

• 43 posts

Posted Mon Feb 8, 2016 9:19 AM

okie dokie ... :(

#16 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,339 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Mon Feb 8, 2016 2:08 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a rom of Vector Pilot ? I need it for my video. Let's Compare ( Time Pilot )

Ask the author directly.
He is slow to reply to email (unless you are ordering), but seems very nice.
You will also need to be able to run a 64K rom, sometimes VecMulti fails, Mayeos Burner/Dumper seems to work in 64K mode. Emulation it is just not worth looking at, until emulation is able to recreate the brightness, persistence, surrounding glow, etc.

Kristof's e-mail can be found on his website when you click to order a game.

#17 wingnut4427 OFFLINE  

wingnut4427

Space Invader

• 43 posts

Posted Mon Feb 8, 2016 10:55 PM

Ask the author directly.

What is the web site ? I keep hitting dead ends. Sorry about being such a pest. :(

#18 wingnut4427 OFFLINE  

wingnut4427

Space Invader

• 43 posts

Posted Mon Feb 8, 2016 10:57 PM

NEVER MIND.. I found it !!

#19 gliptitude OFFLINE  

gliptitude

Chopper Commander

• 248 posts

Posted Tue Feb 9, 2016 8:24 AM

I wouldn't ask for a ROM for this purpose and i don't understand why the author would give you one.

In this case the author seems like a really generous guy so he might actually agree to it. But you can't properly display this game without the overlay anyway. If you have a Vectrex, Vector Pilot is a mandatory purchase. That the author is still producing and selling the complete game with a professionally manufactured overlay is really special, awesome for the scene and completely without precedent. .. I don't know that any of the other homebrew overlays compare in quality (so far) and they ALL were made in very limited quality, now unattainable to the casual collector.

Edited by gliptitude, Tue Feb 9, 2016 8:56 AM.

#20 Bodyshots OFFLINE  

Bodyshots

Dragonstomper

• 572 posts

Posted Tue Feb 9, 2016 8:30 AM

----andddd here we go

#21 gliptitude OFFLINE  

gliptitude

Chopper Commander

• 248 posts

Posted Tue Feb 9, 2016 8:58 AM

----andddd here we go

Sorry. I was already in the process of editing my post. Just woke up.

#22 Blazing Lazers OFFLINE  

Blazing Lazers

Stargunner

• 1,155 posts

Posted Tue Feb 9, 2016 2:49 PM

Quick question for y'all:

Has Fury released the Warrior ROM yet?

#23 gliptitude OFFLINE  

gliptitude

Chopper Commander

• 248 posts

Posted Tue Feb 9, 2016 3:47 PM

No Warrior ROM. According to his site there are about 50 pre-order Warrior games remaining to ship still. If you look at the games that he has released ROMs for and when they were released relative to the cartridge distribution, it will probably be years before Warrior is released as ROM and it might NEVER be released. I,Cyborg hasn't gotten a ROM release and it is older than most of the games that he has released as free ROMs.

#24 PhoenixMoonPatrol OFFLINE  

PhoenixMoonPatrol

Moonsweeper

• 464 posts
  • Gonna take crackerjack timing to beat me pal

Posted Tue Feb 9, 2016 3:58 PM

Where are you guys finding any of the roms for purchase?

I searched those sites and I only see carts for sale.

Are there any at all for sale digitally?

#25 50TBRD OFFLINE  

50TBRD

Moonsweeper

• 265 posts

Posted Tue Feb 9, 2016 4:41 PM

No one sells Roms for the Vectrex period. Only free download or carts for sale.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users