IGNORED

GT6 on PS3 in 2013

Reaperman

This should get people preordering. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnr6zuCctP8

Beyond a preference for the sky color in the GT6 demo and the weight of the vehicle visually shifting more realistically (Which may or not be a sign of a real advance with the physics engine itself), they look indistinguishable to me. The minor improvement in shadows and lighting that I thought I could see with an older comparison video featuring the Nurburgring isn't evident to me at all here.

Edit: I can discern some differences with the lighting and reflection effects on the car itself. But they look equally nice to me.

Edited by Atariboy

I don't see a whole lot of difference between GT5 and 6, the thing that really bugs me is that the force feedback on steering wheels is way overdone IMO and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off. I love my wheel when I play F1 games on the PC where I can turn the force feedback off but it's rather annoying I can't do this on the PS3.

EDIT: I just learned via google that the power supply on the wheel is only for force feedback, sounds like the wheel will work just fine not being plugged in.

Edited by VW

• 1 month later...

GT6=80% complete

On one hand, that makes it sound like GT6 is not coming out on time (like gt games tend to do), but on the other hand, GT5 launched at about 65% complete, and eventually hit maybe 75%, so maybe this is progress. :grin:

Anyway, I'm finally on a ps3 kick again, and playing gt5 (since I missed that gt6 demo)

Edited by Reaperman

Yet they're already talking about Grand Turismo 7...

"Is this physics engine going to be shared with the Gran Turismo 7 that Yamauchi's team at Polyphony Digital are presumably working on now for the PlayStation 4? Yamauchi said that would be the case, going on to suggest that to him, at this point, hardware platforms don't matter quite as much as they used to. "The PlayStation 4's large memory size is a unique trait," he said, "but in terms of CPU performance, the PS3's Cell chip, while difficult to handle, is really capable. They both have different advantages. Besides, I think the online community aspect, one of the most fun parts of GT, doesn't have anything to do with the platform. The PlayStation 4 game which we'll likely call GT7 will be done in about a year or two, I think, and I think the community aspect's going to be vital there as well."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/11/4720146/gran-turismo-6-producer-talks-physics-engines-smartphone-linkups-and

I suspect it will actually be more like Super Gran Turismo 6 XL edition though and stand at about 85% complete even though it's numbered to appear as a sequel...

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

They're already warning people that there will be a large day 1 patch, that the new audio system won't be ready to go at release and will be patched in at a later date, and that they're envisioning a lot of updates during the 12 months or so after release to finish the game. But they're happy that online multiplayer functionality will be present on the disc itself at release this time around.

I got a feeling that they're still too concerned about pretty looking back seats. I'll once again be waiting for a Greatest Hits release that at least has the majority of the patches already applied.

Edited by Atariboy

Rightie-o, they’ll just finish it later. Until they won’t. Just like they never finished GT5.

I still recall my retail box mentioning leaderboards and matchmaking…

I also seem to recall years of hearing it could hook up to youtube until that feature dropped off the list right about release time. And saying that a game includes features like 'head tracking' generally welcomes customers to assume that it's in more than just arcade mode time trials.

I also recall feeling like their beta tester as even later patches broke core functionality like clutch/shifting mechanics.

However, rest assured that they'll update the exact number of shrubs around corner 76 of the nurbungenautolamen-circlegejerkin track to match the official 2013 spec. They'll focus at least 85% of their effort on corner 76. Got to get those flowers in the shrubs to close back up for night races, and all. That means there needs to be a small team handling the dawn/dusk animation for each of them...

But they probably still have me on the hook for this last game.

For no other reason than because ps3 supports my wheel, and xbox doesn't. I'd rather be playing forza. I really would.

Edited by Reaperman

• 1 month later...

If anybody wants quite a lot of GT6 footage, here's about 15 min worth if you skip around the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmRrYNeE_mc

I played 3-4 hours of GT4 last weekend--I think that game's night and day better than GT5. It's graphics are so consistent, and it pushes the hardware *hard.* There are so many more tracks, and so much to see on them (lower ratio of 'real world' locations) . Most importantly, features that might have been half-assed to put a check in a box somewhere were dropped completely. There's no online play, for example, even though demos for the game had it.

I notice over at GTPlanet some people are calling this new one GT5.5, and others are attacking them for it.

Seems like a little pessimism is justified here. Actually, GT5.5 sounds a bit optimistic to me--that acknowledges GT5 as a full release. So far I haven't seen anything to suggest that what's coming this december is anything but 'GT5 beta 2.' Maybe 'GT5 Prologue RC3...'

I hope I'm wrong in that, since I am buying the game on the first day.

Edited by Reaperman

Have they ever said if rain and night conditions can apply to any circuit? I really don't like how those features have never been universal in these games. Especially rain which I think has always just been on select tracks since GT3 when it was introduced.

I can remember drooling over pictures of the GT3 circuit that supported rain and how all the lights shimmered on the wet surfaces. Didn't think games would ever look better than that.

There are so many more tracks, and so much to see on them (lower ratio of 'real world' locations) .

At least GT6 has bumped up the track roster significantly (And they're largely real life circuits which is fine with me). So even if no other advancements are taken, it's significantly improved right there.

I'd still like to know if Spa and Motegi are here. They've said that all GT5 tracks are included along with 7 or 8 new circuits. But they've never clarified if they just meant it includes every track that GT5 shipped with or encompasses the DLC tracks as well.

Especially if it includes GT5's downloadable courses (There was also a go kart track and a testing pad), this should rival GT4's track roster.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Have they ever said if rain and night conditions can apply to any circuit? I really don't like how those features have never been universal in these games. Especially rain which I think has always just been on select tracks since GT3 when it was introduced.

I think it's pretty weird also--you'd think it would be trivially easy to do. That said, a lot of those tracks lack night lighting, and I really don't care much for the rain. Personally, all night and rain driving did for me (on the tracks that supported it) was provide me with experiences that I wish I wasn't forced into. I *think* I heard that the new lighting engine supports changing conditions on every track, but it's been so long since I heard anything like it that I really can't trust it anymore.

Also, as far as every GT5 track being in, I've heard the top gear track probably won't be. GT5 could have done that a lot better (like standing starts and camera angles from the show) and most of the time I did laps of it online, I'd get rammed by people drag racing or donuting. I'll miss having it, but largely for its ability to collect people I didn't want near me allowing other tracks to be a little cleaner.

Edited by Reaperman

Apparently GT fans can expect GT6 DLC that models cars and tracks associated with the late F1 driver Ayrton Senna.

"On October 24, 2013 at the SCEA Press Conference held in São Paulo, Brazil, we have announced a long term partnership with the "Ayrton Senna Institute" non-profit organization, and the "Gran Turismo" PlayStation Video game series. In the PlayStation exclusive game title "Gran Turismo®6" to be released on December 6, 2013, content involving Brazil's legendary racing driver Ayrton Senna will be provided through online updates, enabling players to trace the roots of Ayrton Senna's racing career."

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_5354623.html

I'd love to see the old Interlagos track that F1 last raced on in 1980 modeled. The drastically shortened version from 1990 that F1 races on to this day cut out a lot of the track and reprofiled several curves that remained to slow speeds. Senna never raced on anything but the shortened track in F1 (Although his nemesis during his career, Alain Prost, raced in the final F1 event on the old track).

But perhaps he competed on the old layout during the earlier stages of his career.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

Well today is the big drop for gt6 features. Check them out here. Car list, track list, mode list--all kinds of stuff. If anybody ever wanted to drive the worst car in history, the lunar rover is making an appearance. GT6 looks to be low on the 'original' circuits that I most enjoy. Only two new ones, and one looks like no fun at all. Lots of stuff "coming in a later update" (yay for incomplete games). Like a track editor, 3d tv support, b-spec mode--all delayed so in some ways this feels like a downgrade from gt5.

Oh well, today I slipped a 'gteye' brake mod in my g25 and that made a huge and instant difference in my braking ability. Sure it's just a $30 spring, but it means that I no longer hit the ABS on every corner. I'd say I'm ready for gt6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRKbIXb9ShE

Edited by Reaperman

Despite all the problems and always being critical, I'm still looking forward to it. Looks to have a lot of nice features like a good sized track list of returning favorites and new additions, the passage of time, the beautiful shots of the stars, and so on all sound good to me.

Besides the incomplete nature that frankly we all expected (Is their new sound engine at least going to be ready? That was rumored to be delayed as well), one thing that bugs me is the time of day and weather effects are still track specific. Common enough where it's still nice but I don't understand why it can't be universal.

I know it's processing demands (Look at the city section of the track list that represents the most demanding graphics). But why didn't they take it into account?

Especially if they do a nice job of updates and adding content and promised features, I'm happy.

Edited by Atariboy

(Is their new sound engine at least going to be ready? That was rumored to be delayed as well),

Last I heard that was officially "may come in a later update," and left off the big feature list info drop.

My guess is that we won't see everything we're officially waiting for, much less the things they mention in passing.

Even if new sound recordings (aka making them sound like performance cars) is out of the question, I hope they at least shoot for more spacial effects in dolby 5.1.

I keep switching my headphone receiver from 5.1 to stereo and I can't tell the difference in GT5. In a lot of other games, 5.1 makes a huge difference.

I'm very glad this is coming out. This maintains the ratio of "2 Gran Turismo games per PS console," and that makes each [console] even more worthy of owning.

I'm a late-adopter of this generation, and I tend to play most cross-platform games on the 360. The PS3 exclusives are where it's at for me on this system, and GT6 is a noteworthy title.

I like the Motorstorm series, Twisted Metal, GT games, and looking forward to The Last of Us when it becomes affordable (and I have time). But it's a pleasant surprise that GT6 is for PS3. Seriously, why is it not for PS4?

While I don't know what that accuracy gets them beyond wasted effort and material for their time sped trailer illustrating it (Maybe they saw James Cameron acting like a correct star field was an important change for Titanic 3D), I think it's neat that they move as time goes on even though it absolutely will be unnoticeable when playing the game.

Another big waste looks like the Photo Travel mode. I hope these at least are components of tracks since it seems a shame to waste all that effort on something that amounts to a thousand back seats like they were so fond of showing off their models of before GT5 was released. So these places better be more than just environments for their photo mode.

i1lz1jKPJ1P0o8E.jpg

It also apparently includes a lunar rover model from the Apollo program. Maybe that's why they wasted time on stars and we will get to race them on the Moon...

Edited by Atariboy

The Forza 5 embargo ended today.

Since they're obvious competitors even though it's not an entirely fair fight (Two generations of hardware and one is starting new while the other is heavily massaging and building on past work to much more of a degree), here's some Forza 5 statistics for comparison.

14 locations compared to 39 for Gran Turismo 6 and 26 with Forza 4.

-Bernese Alps

-Catalunya

-Spa (New)

-Indianapolis

-Le Mans

-Laguna Seca

-Mount Panorama (New)

-Prague (New)

-Road Atlanta

-Sebring

-Silverstone

-Test Track Airfield (New)

-Top Gear test track

-Yas Marina (New)

Removed from Forza 4 are the following.

-Amalfi (Forza 3 & 4)

-Benchmark High Speed Ring (3 & 4)

-Camino Viejo de Montserrat (3 & 4)

-Fujimi Kaido (1 & in truncated form 3 & 4)

-Hockenheimring (4)

-Iberian (3 & 4)

-Infineon (4)

-Ladera (3 & 4)

-Maple Valley Raceway (1-4)

-Mugello (2-4)

-Nordschleife (1-4)

-Nurburgring Grand Prix Circuit (3 & 4)

-Road America (1-4)

-Sedona (3 & 4)

-Sunset Peninsula (1-4)

-Suzuka (2-4)

-Twin Ring Motegi (2-4)

Just over 200 cars compared to 500 for Forza 5 and 1200 for Gran Turismo 6.

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/forza_motorsport_5/news/forza_motorsport_5_complete_car_roster_revealed.html

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

The Forza 5 embargo ended today.

Since they're obvious competitors even though it's not an entirely fair fight (Two generations of hardware and one is starting new while the other is heavily massaging and building on past work to much more of a degree), here's some Forza 5 statistics for comparison.

Wow, Forza 5 is pretty sad. Any word on wheel compatibility? It'd be a huge shame if those with expensive 360-compatible usb wheels were out of luck.

Of course GT6 has like 8 new tracks, and most of its best tracks are lifted straight from GT4 (why not just bring them all over, then?)

Also, with Drive Club delayed on ps4, it looks like Forza 5 is the only next-gen racing people will be doing for a while.

Edited by Reaperman

Wow, Forza 5 is pretty sad. Any word on wheel compatibility? It'd be a huge shame if those with expensive 360-compatible usb wheels were out of luck.

No Xbox 360 wheel support. So the Fanatec owners are out of luck unlike over on the PS4.

Of course GT6 has like 8 new tracks, and most of its best tracks are lifted straight from GT4 (why not just bring them all over, then?)

I suppose it depends on if you prefer real or fictional, but most of these new additions are pretty nice circuits (Unlike Yas Marina for Forza 5 which is just about the most sterile modern track Turn 10 could've selected and since there's no night racing, the prime attraction of the place isn't even modeled). So those new tracks, GT5's tracks (Minus the Top Gear test track), and GT5's DLC tracks all make for a pretty great day 1 roster I think.

Many of the best GT4 circuits are still there and several of those absent are pretty inconsequential. I've bolded those present and tried to delete multiple layouts of each to keep it simple. So not too bad. :)

GT4 circuits

Trial Mountain Circuit

Driving Park

High-Speed Ring

Gymkhana

Mid-Field Raceway

Deep Forest Raceway

Grand Valley Speedway

El Capitan

Autumn Ring

Apricot Hill Raceway

Twin Ring Motegi

Fuji Speedway

Circuit de la Sarthe

Nürburgring Nordschleife

Infineon Raceway

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Suzuka Circuit

Cathedral Rocks

Tokyo Route 246

Special Stage Route 5

Seoul Central

Seattle Circuit

Côte d'Azur

George V Paris

Costa di Amalfi

Citta di Aria

Hong Kong

Motorland

New York

Opera Paris

Ice Arena

Grand Canyon

Chamonix

Tahiti Maze

Swiss Alps

Las Vegas Drag Strip

Tsukuba Circuit

Hard to believe that GT1's track roster was this small when everything started (Which are all in GT6 except Test Course).

-Autumn Ring

-Autumn Ring Mini

-Clubman Stage Route 5

-Deep Forest

-Grand Valley Speedway

-Grand Valley East

-High Speed Ring

-Special Stage Route 5

-Special Stage Route 11

-Test Course

-Trial Mountain

Edited by Atariboy