IGNORED

New Tempest game in the works for Atari 8-bit

peteym5

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would purchase a 2nd Tempest Game if you already own Tempest Xtreem or the Tempest 5200?

• I already have Tempest Xtreem and/or Tempest 5200, don't need another one
    • Yes I would buy since it will have new features
  2. 2. Would you like to see the 5200 version ported to the 8-bit?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I have in the works another Tempest Game for the Atari 8-bit. It is essentially an upgrade version of Tempest Xtreem with enhancements amd features. It Runs on any 64K or more Atari 8-bit such as 800XL, 65XE, 130XE, expanded 600XL. It needs to disable the OS/ROM and replace it with RAM through PortB (54017, $D301). It also takes advantage of computers with hardware enhancements like VBXE and Stereo Pokey

Features include.

Webs with more lanes (nodes), can be anywhere from 12 to 24 lanes. Webs with more lanes are more challenging.

More Web shapes available. 96 webs now included.

Random or Sequential Web order.

Lane Highlighting

Game Pause

Game Restart

VBXE: When detected, game will switch to 320x192 mode and overlay VBXE blitter multicolored sprites.

Standard Atari Graphic sprites are the same as those for Tempest Xtreem. I may touch them up. But there is only so much you can do with player / missile graphics.

Stereo Pokey. Songs were encoded with 8 voices. But if single Pokey, it still plays mono just fine.

I am working on fine tuning the animations used in the game to get them closer to the arcade.

It probably will be going onto a 256K XEGS cartridge with EPROM. I know some had a problem when we used Atarimax carts for Tempest Xtreem. I would prefer not to use cartridges with flash memory.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

I would love to simply see the 5200 version ported over... Or a way to turn off the music in "Xtreem".

Interesting Ideal, I would have to ask KJMANN12 about it, and would have to get RMT to play sound effects only. It is doable.

I have no control over the 5200, a different group of programmers are doing that. However I would not object if they do decide to port onto the 8-bit at some point. I decided not to port Tempest Extreem or this new version to the 5200 for the immediate future. We took two different approaches on how to do Tempest, I recreated mine from scratch.

Edited by peteym5

Love the colors and the action of this game, especially when I played it back in the day in a darken arcade room. Man, I miss those simple days. Any how, looking forward to seeing the final revision. Count me in for 1 if you are producing a cart.

Thanks,

Mike

Interesting Ideal, I would have to ask KJMANN12 about it, and would have to get RMT to play sound effects only. It is doable.

It's the only reason I haven't bought Xtreem... Part of the charm of the 8-bit era (pre-NES, at least) was the fact that games just had simple sound effects, not some unescapable theme music. I appreciate the technical achievement but it drives me up the wall most of the time.

• Like 1

I'd love an enhanced version. This version is along the lines of the Jaguar's Tempest 2000, and I think it's great to have the enhanced version with music. An option to turn it off would be cool though.

• Like 1

I presume that as with Xtreme there will not be a digital download version?

If that's the case you have lost a customer, I have real hardware but its getting on and I doubt its got long so for that reason I want stuff I can also use via emulation.

• Like 1

The disadvantage of cartridges is, that there are no free updates. Not more is what I see here.

To be rude ( = honest) : I would prefer to have something completely new instead of doing small changes to something existing that already is great. At least the software. The cartridge label is made quite cheap and not woth a penny, GR8 software does a much better job there.

• Like 1

The disadvantage of cartridges is, that there are no free updates. Not more is what I see here.

To be rude ( = honest) : I would prefer to have something completely new instead of doing small changes to something existing that already is great. At least the software. The cartridge label is made quite cheap and not woth a penny, GR8 software does a much better job there.

+1
  • Like 1

This Version Runs On Standard 64k and will activate features such as VBXE and Stereo Pokey IF it sees them. otherwise it will run using just single pokey or Standard GFX. Cartridges are pretty much the same price with or without these features

Also, This Was by no means a bunch of small changes. this was a serious overhaul from Tempest Xtreem. new Graphics. New Digital Voices. New Line Routines and more.

A Digital Dowload Will NEVER be available. we will just not do it. we've stated this many times before and If we lose a customer due to this, we really don't care.

I will talk to pete about the Music On/Off Selection. that is a reasonable option in my opinion.

Edited by Kjmann

Being someone who is from the world of Security and protecting interests I have to agree about not releasing a digital download. Anyone doing these cartridges thoroughly tests the games before releasing them to ensure there are no glitches that causes a crash. Digital Downloads and patches are more popular with Windows PC games because with technology, things become more complicated to program for. Windows PCs are open systems with all types of hardware and even have thorough beta testing, there's always people out there with hardware that conflicts with the software release. This is not a case with a proprietary computer or game counsel where it is designed to just specific hardware.

We are talking a 6502, Pokey, Antic/GTIA, and 64K RAM. I am sorry I could not get it to run on the 400/800 because of the lack of ability to disable the OS ROM and use the 14K in its place. Specifically it needs to reset the 6502 NMI and IRQ vectors in order for the sound samples and faster self-modifying code to work. This is also mapped outside the cartridge memory area and even 128K or more, it does would not make a difference with 400/800. When the cartridge is booting it runs a check for a second POKEY, and VBXE. If not detected, it defaults back to standard hardware and loads the standard subroutines into memory. When detected, it loads alternate routines into memory.

I am not sure the exact number of people out there have an Atari 800, but most would also have a XL/XE machine anyway so they can play all the 8-bit games. Most of the 800 users like the keyboard, but this game uses a joystick, so that is not an issue.

Edited by peteym5

where is the no I wont buy it even though I own neither button?

Where's the "I don't own a 5200 or Atari 8-bit, but would love to see Tempest ported to 2600, even though it's not technically possible," button? :P

It's the only reason I haven't bought Xtreem... Part of the charm of the 8-bit era (pre-NES, at least) was the fact that games just had simple sound effects, not some unescapable theme music. I appreciate the technical achievement but it drives me up the wall most of the time.

I beg to differ. Some of the greatest chiptunes of all time were featured in the soundtracks to NES games. Very memorable tunes. Love or hate, there was nothing else quite like them before or since. Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

peteym5 - The original Tempest Extreme was a nice release. Having gotten my fill with the Jag version I did not buy this (still waiting on final Venture :) ) - anyhow, I haven't seen many folks clamoring for an improved version though it sounds like you've gotten a few nice additions.

Not sure if having a version with 'original' tempest along with 'extreme' would generate more interest - sorta like how the T2K release on the Jag was (normal and 2k version)

Just my $0.02. Im not a huige Tempest fan so Im not sure if this is a title would purchase. Adventure II and Venture are the 2 releases Im keeping my spare cash ready for :)

Also, This Was by no means a bunch of small changes. this was a serious overhaul from Tempest Xtreem. new Graphics. New Digital Voices. New Line Routines and more.

Any screenshots or a video of the game?

Edited by MrFish

peteym5 - The original Tempest Extreme was a nice release. Having gotten my fill with the Jag version I did not buy this (still waiting on final Venture :) ) - anyhow, I haven't seen many folks clamoring for an improved version though it sounds like you've gotten a few nice additions.

Not sure if having a version with 'original' tempest along with 'extreme' would generate more interest - sorta like how the T2K release on the Jag was (normal and 2k version)

Just my $0.02. Im not a huige Tempest fan so Im not sure if this is a title would purchase. Adventure II and Venture are the 2 releases Im keeping my spare cash ready for :)

seconded, venture 8bit and 5200 first

A Digital Dowload Will NEVER be available. we will just not do it. we've stated this many times before and If we lose a customer due to this, we really don't care.

never say never

especially with things like that

even software is protected for several years, then it becomes free - can't do much about it, can you?

my point: stop acting like that and just release your games like gr8 does - even if the game is not really a killer, value added to it in form of case, label, accesories are far more interesting to the collector anyways and it will sell

noone really wants to buy cat in the bag and youtube videos of a gameplay really won't cut in...

• Like 3

Hey guys

Since you seem to have this game almost finished, just release in (when it's finished!!). On cart, with everything on it. If it's good enough, people will buy it. Screen shots and video's will give an impression of what's different/better. Heck, we bought the improved version of Pac Man, why wouldn't there be a market for an improved Tempest Whatever (as you can see, I'm neither a game player, nor did I ever get what you're supposed to do in TE).

Sincerely

Mathy