IGNORED

New Tempest game in the works for Atari 8-bit

peteym5

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would purchase a 2nd Tempest Game if you already own Tempest Xtreem or the Tempest 5200?

• I already have Tempest Xtreem and/or Tempest 5200, don't need another one
    • Yes I would buy since it will have new features
  2. 2. Would you like to see the 5200 version ported to the 8-bit?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I take it that - by the lack of any reply as to whether or not this "new" A8 Tempest supports any form of analog control (2600 driving controller, paddle controller, ST mouse) that it's just another digital (joystick/D-pad) re-release of Tempest, or it would have been noted? No thanks, then, as there's no shortage of digital-control Tempest games. Should it be reconsidered to support analog control, it would be a groundbreaking A8 title.

• 11 months later...

This project had to be put on hold because there had been delays in reprogramming to use compression. I had been considering using paddle or driving controller. However the game will be played with firing bullets only and without being able to use the super zapper since there is one fire button. Unless people want to put up with also using the keyboard.

Edited by peteym5

Super Zapper = Space bar....

I know people who played titles using space with their feet, works, trust me...

AND WHAT ABOUT ME? I DON'T HAVE ANY FEET!!!

Only kidding!! :)

Is there no user friendly method of firing left? i.e. Pull back on joystick with fire or hold down fire?

I'd just not like to infuriate the 65XEG users though they're in the minority.

Mclaneinc's post jogged some memories of my C64 days.

Did'nt the space bar get used to some degree in the following games?
Operation Wolf, Commando, R-Type, Gryzor, Nemesis, Kung-Fu Master, probably good few others...
One of the Zzap 64 reviewers used to activate the space bar with his feet as well i seem to recal.

AND WHAT ABOUT ME? I DON'T HAVE ANY FEET!!!

Only kidding!! :)

YOU BLEEP!!!

For one sec I felt terrible...

If I remember clearly, Defender on the Atari used the space bar for the smart bomb....Pretty much the same thing..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Are there any documents on how to read these Driving controller? Anyone have some source code on how to read these things? Use same fire button? I wonder if it is similar to the track ball in which I already have a routine for. I know 2 bits go up and down in value as the track up is spinning. I wonder if the trackback and driving controller use a common routine.

Currently the space bar is used for pause. Could have it press enter or another key for pause. Just don't want any complaining the game to too hard to control if I decide to make these changes.

• Like 2

I am trying to test the logic to read trackball, mouse, driving controller. However Altirra can only emulate ST Mouse. When I tried it out, its movement is sluggish with my mouse. It would read trackball for selected controller, but can make it cycle through mouse or driving also, even though it will just be using the same bit of programming code to read the controller. Driving controllers had become rare, probably get greater interest with using a trackball or ST Mouse.

Hi Petey,

Re the key for Pause, I'd go for ESC as its a fairly big key and because its on the edge of the KB in a corner so its easy to hit in a frenetic game (unless of course you have mapped that already)

Whatever the keys people will both be happy and moan, you should know, you can't always please every one :)

Me, as long as it plays well I'm in...New good games are a little rarer these days..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

Hi Petey,

Re the key for Pause, I'd go for ESC as its a fairly big key and because its on the edge of the KB in a corner so its easy to hit in a frenetic game (unless of course you have mapped that already)

Whatever the keys people will both be happy and moan, you should know, you can't always please every one :)

Me, as long as it plays well I'm in...New good games are a little rarer these days..

Or be sadistic and set the Option key to be pause. :-)

I was thinking Return (Enter) Key, Break Key, but Esc Key works just as well. I may be able to have it so if they are using the Joystick, the space bar will work as pause, but when using a Driving Controller/TrackBall Space Bar will trigger the superzapper. That way I can keep the Tempest Xtreme style input by default.

• Like 1

I was thinking Return (Enter) Key, Break Key, but Esc Key works just as well. I may be able to have it so if they are using the Joystick, the space bar will work as pause, but when using a Driving Controller/TrackBall Space Bar will trigger the superzapper. That way I can keep the Tempest Xtreme style input by default.

But you could be even more resourceful and let the player map what key they want ...That way every one is happy, worked for Spectrum owners for years..

That may be too much to do within the start menu, most people will select their options and play the game. However, I am adding the trackball/driver controller option because some people demanded it over the years and was missing from Tempest Xtreme. The pause feature was also missing. However with all the other features, I can only say you have to wait and see what we had done.

• Like 1

That may be too much to do within the start menu, most people will select their options and play the game. However, I am adding the trackball/driver controller option because some people demanded it over the years and was missing from Tempest Xtreme. The pause feature was also missing. However with all the other features, I can only say you have to wait and see what we had done.

Good to see your adding trackball option.