IGNORED

Just wondering what other console can do high res?

Uzumaki

Atari 2600 has an odd design in that the code manually controls the v sync and h sync, which means a game could be coded to be 480i as opposed to blocky looking 240 plus it's "future proofed" with theoretical 720i and 1080i support, and even the upcoming 2k support. Only test ROM exists showing the 480i and I doubt anyone's going to try for higher res because most TV expects NTSC RF and composite to be 240p or 480i and likely will refuse the signal but it could be done if someone took the time. Beside you'd need a fair amount of RAM to keep track of everything if it's not going to be static image.

Is there any other game system that can do higher resolution than expected? Or are all other game console hard wired at video level to send sync at proper time regardless of what the code might try?

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, on the atari 2600 only the vertical sync is controlled, which boosts the resolution from 240p to 480i (and probably 288p to 576i for PAL).

There was a topic going on here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/132366-progressive-scan-on-2600/

It would be cool to generate 480p at about 30fps. 480p30 seems to be a standard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480p

One could try generating 480p on a av-modded 2600 and plug in on a luminance connection from the component video input of a tv (you would just get b/w then, IF it works).

The genesis could do interlaced too.

Edited by roland p