IGNORED

found an Apple II Plus at work, has issues

So I found an Apple II Plus at my work. A guy there plugged it in for me and hooked it up to the TV. It powers on, but displays this pixelated multicolored tile mess on the TV. He popped the top off and pushed in a few chips that were loose, but no luck. What are the odds of me fixing this up? Thanks.

Everything on the II Plus is off the shelf and socketed so it's easily replaced. Most likely culprit is bad RAM.

ROMs can occasionally go bad and you just have to find a source for a replacement.

The 6502 can go bad but not very often.

Those would be the most likely candidates based on the symptoms.

• Like 2

if you have an 80 column card giving you the ability to display high res graphics, yes, there is the apple II desktop, which is a mac like file launcher and disk manager, or gem which is more like a full OS

to awnser your other question the first apple with a gui was the LISA in 1983, then the mac in 84 the apple II desktop came about in 86 though other mouse applications existed

Edited by Osgeld

if you have an 80 column card giving you the ability to display high res graphics, yes, there is the apple II desktop, which is a mac like file launcher and disk manager, or gem which is more like a full OS

to awnser your other question the first apple with a gui was the LISA in 1983, then the mac in 84 the apple II desktop came about in 86 though other mouse applications existed

Thanks. If I can get this beast running, and can install the component than you suggests, then it is possible to have something like an early Mac-line graphic OS? Interesting.

I have some challenges ahead of me in terms of getting this beast up and running. The first, and greatest challenge, is that I have zero machanical intelligence. So I'll have to compensate with lots of reading an patience. Secondly, I have no video output cable (I tested the unit with a friend's at work). Third, diagnosing the problem. Tempest told me in a PM that there is a command for running diagnostics, or something like that. Fourth is acquiring parts, which might mean buying and cannibalizing more Apples.

video cable is easy enough, any yellow rca jack cable works

the computer will do a basic power on self test, and there are utilities on disk, but of course to get them on disk you need a functioning computer or have someone send it to you, but if its still not booting it wont help much

you can get replacement ram, but as I stated before, many times if you just take them out and put them back in it will spring to life

Edited by Osgeld

they are in sockets right?

you can carefully rock them out with a flat head screw driver, but try to not bend the pins

and it should be the 24 chips (sounds like you got 48k of ram)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

Hard to say, hope you turned it off pretty quick. Check that they're all pointed the same way and not staggered or offset in the sockets.

As an aside note, I'm seeing tons more and more bad Apples these days. And it's mostly ram causing it. That, and corrosion on the pins. Clean the pins on the inside portion of the chip, that's where they make contact. Visible oxides on the outside means little.

Did anyone besides me get teary-eyed reading this thread?

Bahh.. blowing up a computer by putting parts in backwards is nothing! As a kid I used to do the strangest of experiments to my old II+ unit.

You can only really do 16/32/48 KB configurations, anything else requires modification. So you need 4116. Next best step is to replace all the RAM. This will eliminate the chips you might have blown, or were bad when you first powered it up.

Keep the old chips nearby.

Edited by Keatah

Hopefully this clicking abates when I get some new RAM in there. I had removed a large ROM chip earlier to see how easily I could pull out the chips. I put it back in with the writing facing the correct way, but a small logo facing the other way (?).

I have been lucky in getting my hands on old equipment that works perfectly. My 800, for example. This Apple will be a challenge to me.

Now, the question is, what the hell is that rapid clicking noise? And will fresh RAM stop it?

That's the power supply "crowbaring" or shorting out. You have something in wrong, or you have shorted one or more chips internally. You've made the situation much worse than it was originally, unfortunately.

You can carefully remove everything and put it in correctly, or better yet find a friend who knows something about electronics.