IGNORED

Does the Hard Drive for the White 360 fit / work on the new Slim 360?

Well, there is an official cable which will transfer data old hard drive to the new one.

you could also change the hard drive shells so that it would physically fit the new xbox,

but I'm not sure if it gets any more complex then that, such as the new xbox auto formatting

the new drive.

Yes and no, if you take the HDD out of the old style 360 HDD case you will find that its a standard 2.5" SATA HDD hooked to a adapter, you remove the HDD from the slim HDD case you will find a 2.5" SATA HDD.

You can buy a replacement slim HDD case and remove the HDD from old style case, you can put the HDD in the slims HDDs case and use it just fine.

Edited by madmax2069
  • Like 1

Hoping I will be able to just pop my 80gig HD onto a new slim...yes?

Yes indeed you can do that. Have no clue why folks would tell you otherwise.

You can take your older 360 HDD and use it in a newer Slim 360. Microsoft doesn't double dip in the least.

While it's not needed, you can buy a casing for your old HDD that'll make insertion into the slim a lot easier, and make the HDD not move around so much (provided you move your 360 unit around a lot). The housing is usually under $10. Send me a PM if you need more specific instruction Sofa. It's really an easy process.

• Like 2

Ish...

The drive inside the "hdd" is the same basic HDD on the old white Xboxes as the new 360, they are just packaged differently. You'd have to take the case off, and drop the drive into the 360 S, but without a case, it will kind of just flop around loose inside of the S.

You can buy a third party drive case for it, but honestly, all I did was copy it to the USB drive, then to an official 360s drive. Then again, I had an older 20GB HDD from my old white system.

Edited by Video

It works. I've got official XBOX 360 original hard drives (20GB & 250GB) in both of the 360 slims that we have, and the process is as easy as taking it out of the housing and popping it into the slim's hard drive bay. The aftermarket slim hard drive housing (eBay or DealExtreme are your best bets for that) helps it to have an exact fit, but it's not exactly mandatory (had the 20GB working for a month without one, just had it padded with a bit of foam).

After you move the drive, it will work...no need to reformat or anything like that. There's also no danger of being banned from XBOX Live (a concern some people have, as using an unofficial drive could theoretically do that).

Edited by Karyyk

It's really easy. remove the old hard drive unit from the original Xbox 360 hard drive case. it's a standard SATA drive. You can go online to a company like Deal-Extreme or ebay and pick up a Xbox 360 slim hard drive case, but you really don't even need it. You just take off the hard drive cover and carefully line up the pins on the old one and slide it right on to the pins for the slim. and voila, it's done.

I could do it, it was that easy!

• 2 weeks later...

I did this, too. The only thing is that if you have any games installed from disc to your hard drive, you'll need to delete them and reinstall them. Anything you downloaded from your Xbox Live account should work from the new console without having to reinstall, I guess because that content is linked to your account and not your console.

It's actually a little bit more complicated than that. You actually have to sign in to your account and do a 'License Transfer.' Once that's been done, then you can download your content (DLC, XBLA games, Indie titles, etc.), but if you don't, you'll basically have to be logged-in to use it (and other people who log-in to your console won't be able to).

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/download-content?icid=furl_drm

• 1 month later...