IGNORED

Interest Check: Color Wheels for Vectrex 3D Imager

jasonbar

Howdy-

I'm trying to gauge how much interest there is in making reproduction color wheels for the Vectrex 3D Imager. I believe I've got it figured out & am going to start the process of design & manufacture to see where it takes me.

Two questions:

1 - How many color wheels would you buy? Note that there exist 2 different color wheels: 1 for 3D Minestorm, & 1 for Narrow Escape/3D Crazy Coaster.

2 - How much would you pay? I recall seeing only 1 eBay auction for a loose color wheel, & it hit $100 or so. I could certainly sell repros for less than that, but what would you be comfortable paying?

Thanks,

-Jason

After trying to make my own color wheel and failing, I solved the problem by throwing a lot of money at it and won an auction for a 2nd imager that came with both wheels, and then getting Crazy Coaster, then turning around and selling the 2nd boxed imager.

I wouldn't be interested in a repro color wheel, but I would be interested in a repro 3D IMAGER with both wheels.

There was a repro made, and it was supposed to give a bigger viewing area. I don't think they are still being made.

I have a Madtronix Imager: http://store.madtronix.com/index.php?cPath=1

The site hasn't been updated in years. I presume it's permanently defunct.

I got mine in 2009, & it took about half a year between payment & receipt of product. The fellow was going through some big life changes & tough times. The imager is based on a cheap welding helmet--not a lot in the way of comfort. I've had to do a little repair on it once or twice. Works fine, though.

-Jason

• 2 years later...

Ohh, interesting, indeed! :thumbsup: I have had plans in my mind to built such an experimental device for quite some time. But have no time to really do it. I wanted to start with a prototype made of "Fischertechnik" construction set parts, just to learn, what to do. If that would work out, I could:

a) find the effect boring and dismantle the device

b) try to built a more compact device out of standard parts, which still is hard enough. Simple things get complicated, if mechanics come into play, except you have a professional shop with all those machines, that are needed to make parts. 3D printing might help.

I am not sure, how to make the color-wheels at all:

• the material must be stable - "thick" piece of plastic or glass. Laminating transparencies would just bring in bubbles, a layer of glue and blurry sight, I think
  • it must be really transparent and clear, without diffusing effects
  • the coloring must be homogenous, without shades or spots

Do you have a good idea or some printer's knowledge, how that could be done?

How much would people pay? If the product is good and you can explain, why it is not cheap to make, I think, you will have customers. Collectors and hobbyists spend a lot of money on this and that. I think, they just do not want to have the feeling that somebody is filling his pockets.

I'd like to suggest you to come out with a rough price, as soon as you have an idea about process and your own estimated expenses. Then I would ask for readers interest or some kind of preordering.

I'm interested in one of both wheels each.

-Rolo

did you ever make any of these ?

I just got an original Imager with only the one wheel for Crazy Coaster & Narrow Escape, I'd like the Minestorm wheel

chas10e

Nope. Punted about 1.5 years ago & dumped all of the materials & parts: http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/thread/622/interest-check-wheels-vectrex-imager

Thanks,

-Jason