Photo

Atari Jaguar cart variations...gray vs. dark black plastic?

12 replies to this topic

#1 3DOMan OFFLINE  

3DOMan

Chopper Commander

• 155 posts

Posted Fri May 31, 2013 2:43 PM

I've only seen two of the Jaguar carts(Raiden and Dino Dudes) made with the darker black plastic, as opposed to the usual dark gray. But I also have the gray cartridges for each game. Does anybody know the story behind this, if there are more titles, and if this variation is more or less rare than the standard gray version for any of the games?

#2 asmat80 OFFLINE  

asmat80

Chopper Commander

• 146 posts

Posted Fri May 31, 2013 2:55 PM

Yes, cybermorph and trevor mcfur are also black plastic. I had thought it was due to being early jaguar stuff.

#3 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 8,316 posts

Posted Fri May 31, 2013 6:52 PM

I've often wondered if they originally planned for black Jaguars instead of grey, and maybe the first batch of those games were made with that in mind, or, they didn't get the memorandum at the factory to use dark grey instead of black in time. I can't imagine that they originally intended the cartridges to be black and the system grey, but who knows with Atari under the Tramiels...

But the black ones are the first run of the first games that were released in fall of '93 in the test markets of San Fran and New York; obviously there were plenty left to reach markets beyond the first test markets. The first run Jag's were grey, I don't know if any black prototypes exist, that would be cool.

Edited by Gunstar, Fri May 31, 2013 6:56 PM.

#4 Guitari OFFLINE  

Guitari

Stargunner

• 1,575 posts

Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 AM

mmmmmm Black Jag...yum. Mind you I am not buying a third Jag just spray it black :-D grey AND white take up enough room.

Did Trev Mac ever come in grey? I only have one black cart and that's Trev. Interesting to hear Raiden, DDudes and CyberMorph came in black.

mmmmmm Black JagCD...

#5 doomwaves OFFLINE  

doomwaves

Dragonstomper

• 752 posts
  • I shall grind beneath my heel, all that exists...

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:51 AM

I wondered this myself, my Raiden is a black cart, but not my Trev, or Dino... Hmm.. Interesting indeed.

#6 Guitari OFFLINE  

Guitari

Stargunner

• 1,575 posts

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:16 PM

Ah so Trev does come in grey..

#7 travistouchdown ONLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 3,469 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:48 PM

Just stumbled upon a black Raiden cart in the lot I picked up yesterday.  Interesting...

So:

Cybermorph

Dino Dudes

Raiden

Trevor McFur

Anyone seen anything else with a black cart?

I think they look slick as hell!  The jaguar would have looked fantastic in that color black...especially contrasted with red.

#8 busterm OFFLINE  

busterm

Dragonstomper

• 637 posts

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:03 PM

Just stumbled upon a black Raiden cart in the lot I picked up yesterday.  Interesting...

So:

Cybermorph

Dino Dudes

Raiden

Trevor McFur

Anyone seen anything else with a black cart?

I think they look slick as hell!  The jaguar would have looked fantastic in that color black...especially contrasted with red.

club drive has also been seen in black, ive come across two overvthevyears

#9 032-Bias OFFLINE  

032-Bias

Space Invader

• 44 posts
  • So many wires, so many fire hazards...

Posted Wed Dec 2, 2015 12:16 PM

I know this topic is basically dead, but I found a Checkered Flag in a black cart recently.

#10 Isgoed OFFLINE  

Isgoed

Stargunner

• 1,362 posts

Posted Wed Dec 2, 2015 12:18 PM

Never heard of that before..

Can you take and post a pic?

#11 032-Bias OFFLINE  

032-Bias

Space Invader

• 44 posts

Posted Wed Dec 2, 2015 12:23 PM

Never heard of that before..

Can you take and post a pic?

I sure can, though thinking about it makes me question its legitimacy.  I found it with the label peeled up on both sides and the screws missing.  I'll still snap a picture and upload it when I have a chance.

#12 save2600 ONLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 13,808 posts

Posted Wed Dec 2, 2015 12:23 PM

Me neither. You sure the cart isn't just real dirty? Could have been in a swamp all these years...  (from LA, get it?)   :lol:

Ooh... label peeling and screws showing, maybe it's a beta or prototype or something else? Be incredible if it turns out to be a version we haven't seen. A version with less features, but the frame rate is better.  :rolling:  

#13 032-Bias OFFLINE  

032-Bias

Space Invader

• 44 posts

Posted Wed Dec 2, 2015 8:22 PM

Here are pictures of the offending cartridge with the other black carts I have and Wolfenstein as a grey comparison.
The usual suspects...
The main offender
Side view of offender

Me neither. You sure the cart isn't just real dirty? Could have been in a swamp all these years...  (from LA, get it?)   :lol:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was true as it can get really nasty down here.  The humidity almost killed the Jag CD I got (it was full of corrosion when I opened it up).

On a side note, Raiden came with a box and manual that were only in English not the usual English/German/French or Spanish that the other boxes and manuals I have are in.  I read on a much older thread that the black carts are possibly the market test carts for the US area in 1993 (this would make since with the English only and 1993 releases, but some of the black carts are 1994 releases...like checkered flag) or the "first run" carts before they decided to use the grey plastic.

Thoughts? I'm want to know the answer to one of the few Jaguar mysteries left!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users