IGNORED

kinect sucks?

Jinks

Ok so just got a 360 kinect a couple weeks ago. new to ms consoles anyways. it came with two games a adventure game which works great and a disneyland game which is impossible for the kids to play. it never sees them and just sits there. We tried for a 1/2 hour recalibrating big brother and never worked.. are these kinect things know to fail or is it just the disney game. I dobt have a xbox live account yet. it says on the box you get free so many months. seems like too much hassle to set up. I do like playing trails hd in the 5 demos it has on it tho. kinda a really boring system. i dont think i can force myself to purchase a single title for it. less than 3 hours of use in 3 weeks.

Ok so just got a 360 kinect a couple weeks ago. new to ms consoles anyways. it came with two games a adventure game which works great and a disneyland game which is impossible for the kids to play. it never sees them and just sits there. We tried for a 1/2 hour recalibrating big brother and never worked.. are these kinect things know to fail or is it just the disney game. I dobt have a xbox live account yet. it says on the box you get free so many months. seems like too much hassle to set up. I do like playing trails hd in the 5 demos it has on it tho. kinda a really boring system. i dont think i can force myself to purchase a single title for it. less than 3 hours of use in 3 weeks.

Okay there are a couple of good Kinect games. I like Gunstringer a lot and you get a free copy of fruit ninja with it... FN is fun for 5 minutes. In Gunstringer you move this puppett about a western adventure. It is fun for a bit. Kinect sports from MS is also quite good.

The real duffers are things like Steel Battalion. I could not get it to work. Also Fable the journey is just so boring.

Make sure you are at least six feet away from it to get it to work. Also I find putting it up high helps it to work.

Though on the whole I hate it. A complete waste of money on my part. It is just a gimmic. Mine sits in the corner and just never gets connected. I might give it one more shot before I sell it.

Okay there are a couple of good Kinect games. I like Gunstringer a lot and you get a free copy of fruit ninja with it... FN is fun for 5 minutes. In Gunstringer you move this puppett about a western adventure. It is fun for a bit. Kinect sports from MS is also quite good.

The real duffers are things like Steel Battalion. I could not get it to work. Also Fable the journey is just so boring.

Make sure you are at least six feet away from it to get it to work. Also I find putting it up high helps it to work.

Though on the whole I hate it. A complete waste of money on my part. It is just a gimmic. Mine sits in the corner and just never gets connected. I might give it one more shot before I sell it.

Oh avoid Rise of the nightmares unless you want to walk around like a member of the SS.

Child of Eden does not work better with Kinect.

I have Mick Jackson's moon walker will not calibrate for me so I have never found out what it is like. Similarly Kung Fu panda would not work for me either. I have Kinect games still wrapped in the plastic.

Oh there is a meditation game which is odd. THQ put it out. When you play it you think I know why they went down.

• Like 1

I was the global customer experience PM for this product. Bloodreptile is correct that the Kinect will see kids better if it's about 6 feet off the floor, and if the kids are back about 6-8 feet from the sensor. At first, it might even be an idea to run some masking tape on the floor to create a "this is the optimal area" boundary.

You do not need to calibrate it to use it casually. It has something called "session memory" where it takes a quick look at the height of the player and the color of their clothing to quickly remember and tell two players in a game apart.

As far as what games are boring, etc. I defer to everybody else...

Oh there is a meditation game which is odd. THQ put it out. When you play it you think I know why they went down.

Deepak Chopra's Leela. I got it for $2 and it actually works, which is more than I can say for many of the games. The meditation value is suspect; mainly it is a mini game collection, delivered in a very weird overall package.

I was the global customer experience PM for this product. Bloodreptile is correct that the Kinect will see kids better if it's about 6 feet off the floor, and if the kids are back about 6-8 feet from the sensor. At first, it might even be an idea to run some masking tape on the floor to create a "this is the optimal area" boundary.

You do not need to calibrate it to use it casually. It has something called "session memory" where it takes a quick look at the height of the player and the color of their clothing to quickly remember and tell two players in a game apart.

As far as what games are boring, etc. I defer to everybody else...

Will give that a go later. Thanks for the heads up.

Forgot to say I have Haunt and Wrecateer downloaded from XBOX Live.

I am uselsess at Wreckateer

and have yet to play Haunt so I cannot say if it is any good.

The Kinect Adventures and Sports games are pretty cool as my kid and her friends used to play it a lot.

For me though its useless. I have one horror game for it and its pretty much unplayable. I did download Haunt for free but I've had no motivation to try it.

They'll make huge imrovements on it with the Xbox One but I'm pretty burnt out on the whole motion control thing. I also don't like talking out loud at night or early in the morning to do anything...so the voice feature is only good during the day for me.

Only reason I have Kinect is because it came with the system.

I disconnected mine and put it back in the box as the damn thing kept activating when I didn't want it to: I'd be watching MLB or Netflix and reach for a drink or to answer the phone, and Kinect would think I was making a gesture and tell me to wave for control or it would bring up a set of Kinect options or do some other nonsense that I didn't want.

If people are into motion gaming, then I'm sure they find uses for Kinect. But I'm not into it and found Kinect an annoyance.

Kinect or Rise of Nightmares?

Oh I meant Rise of Nightmares. I just didnt like it at all. Had a really hard time controlling it and just eventually gave up. Unfortunate cause it looks kind of House of the Dead cheezy cool (but more adult oriented). Cant give it a thumbs up.

• Like 1

I noticed that if was playing RoN while wearing cargo shorts or basketball shorts, the game had a hard time tracking my walking motions. Apparently you can only play the game in tight jeans or something. Aside from that, I didn't really have any issues. I'll give it 2.5 stars for short bursts of fun.

I noticed that if was playing RoN while wearing cargo shorts or basketball shorts, the game had a hard time tracking my walking motions. Apparently you can only play the game in tight jeans or something. Aside from that, I didn't really have any issues. I'll give it 2.5 stars for short bursts of fun.

Now that could be it. Maybe I'll try it again with jeans. I usually wear bball shorts or loose sweats when I play Kinect. Thanks, I'll actually give it another whirl.

I'm not overly thrilled with the Kinect. The whole idea when my wife got it for me at Christmas is that her and I could play the games together, be more sociable, and get some exercise at the same time. Flash forward 6 months....and neither of us have used that feature more than three times. It was a good idea that never came to light for either of us. Of course I still play the console, but not for the Kinect games. Ah well.

Edited by wolfpaw1966

• 2 weeks later...

Kinect for me was kind of like Wii. They both basically sucked. They have a few games that work well (mostly the sports types games) both have games that suck (pretty much any non sports games) The only advantage of the Kinect, is you have a real console it's hooked to that doesn't require the unit to work (unlike the wii)

The kinect is a chunk of the reason that I wouldn't bother with the One (not that there aren't bigger reasons, but you know)

I have a wii and and wii u. the motion controls actually work. you move the wiimote the cursor moves or whatever unlike kinect. it rarely does anything..

My new 360 acts as a dvd player and wii and wii u hooked up for gaming. I dont like and will not ever pay for accounts for online stuff. If it ever comes down to that I will quit buying new systems. Thats the beauty of Nintendo(so far) no account, no kinect, made for games and fun. Think of your rights of people watching you 24/7 with kinect you have given up that right. I guess you can tell I also have No facebook account...

• Like 1

Thats the beauty of Nintendo(so far) no account, no kinect, made for games and fun. Think of your rights of people watching you 24/7 ...

Wii U gamepad has a camera right smack in the middle.

Sleep tight!

Edited by Rex Dart
  • Like 1

Wii U gamepad has a camera right smack in the middle.

Sleep tight!

yeah and mine has a sticker on it...just like my computer does. I have a friend who was emailed pictures of himself in his home with his family and was asked for money. It was a virus that some hacker fag put on his computer.

i can have my sticker on my gamepad and it still runs fine. could a person not do that to the xbox one kinect and still work fine without it.

I heard it needs the kinect on all the time to operate. Is that supposed to be so it knows whos playing? Or can you plug it in and throw it behind your entertainment centre?