IGNORED

Glenn (the 5200 Man)

Hulsie

I wonder if Atari hired Glenn to do the Moon Patrol port. It has * and # still on the title screen.

Nope, I talked to the programmer of both ports (Scott Smith). According to Scott pirated versions for the 8-bit started circulating before the game was released. From my website:

According to Scott Smith, shortly before the Atari 5200 version was released pirated copies started appearing on various bulletin board systems for the Atari 8-bit. This was a huge problem as not only had the Atari 5200 version not yet been released, but the Atari 8-bit version wasn't even finished yet! Apparently some clever individual had gotten a hold of a 5200 prototype cartridge and hacked the Atari 5200 version into working on the Atari 8-bit computer. Rampant piracy was a huge problem for Atari as many games were leaked to bulletin boards before they were even released.

I was kidding about Glenn being the one who Atari hired to do the port, but I do enjoy the discussion. Actually, I think the * is option and # is select.

I just thought it seemed like a 5200 conversion because of the * and #. It seems a little lazy. You also have to press the number 2 to continue, so the game requires a keyboard (XEGS) for that feature.

Don't get me wrong. I like the game.

Were there any other Atari 8-bit games (not 5200 conversions) that used * and # for option and select? I can't think of any.

Edited by Fres

There have been so many rumors regarding Glenn over the years it would be great if he could post here and shed some light on the history of this.

I'd love to finally learn more about the guy.

I wonder what the statute of limitations is for whatever he did.

• 1 year later...

I really want to interview Glenn the 5200 man for the ANTIC podcast. I will give a prize to the person who brings him to me.

If you look at the Countermeasure conversion that 'Glenn' did, you see two names, Bruce and Gary. These are probably Gary Stark and Bruce Poehlman who programmed The Last Starfighter. If you could hunt one of them down, they might be able to tell you who he was.

Allan

post-187-0-42269700-1441062693_thumb.gif

post-187-0-01050000-1441062694_thumb.gif

• Like 2

I really want to interview Glenn the 5200 man for the ANTIC podcast. I will give a prize to the person who brings him to me.

I gave Randy info on my local dealer (Gary) who knew him. I believe that's the Gary mentioned above. That's the best lead I've got.

EDIT:

Gary also talked about knowing "Steve and Bruce" so that's probably the Bruce above. Gary ran a BBS and was connected to the online pirate community and when he would get new releases he would mail a copy to one of the guys he knew who could crack it. He was definitely working both sides.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin when you do the inevitable podcast interview, please use one of those ominous voice changers to protect the identity of the subject. I think it will add a certain ambience.

Like the current Atari would even care unless they're planning for a 5200 Flashback ;)

Questions for Glenn:

1. Did you work for Pablo Escobar?

2. Did Atari employees provide the 5200 roms?

3. Or was special equipment used to dump the roms?

4. Is Glenn a real name or is it an acronym?

5. How long did a typical conversion take?

6. Which BBS systems were used to initially distribute the roms?

7. Did Atari ever make any legal threats directly?

8. Does your immediate family still refer to you as "The 5200 Man"?

9. Do you have any idead how far-reaching these games were? EVERY Atari computer owner knew who Glenn was.

10. Did Glenn have any contact with other famous hackers?

• Like 4