IGNORED

2600 port to arcade machine project

abrondino

Using a standard Taito cabinet, I started to convert it to an Atari 2600 machine

Originally, I was using a rare piece of Atari hardware called a "Video Multiplexor" (Yeah it was spelled that way). It allowed up to 8 games to be plugged into a strip and a user could pick between them. I had it running well until I came across the Harmony cart. With that, I started on a quest to up the game of what this machine would be..

The following post are a documentation of the progress as it happened.

post-34351-0-41916100-1370489295_thumb.jpg

Edited by abrondino
  • Like 2

I designed this as the marquee for my Atari 2600 cabinet but am thinking about creating it with a faux stained glass technique. I am unsure if I am going to be able to create the rainbow of colors, though.

The method to create faux stained glass is quite cool and easier than you would expect. Quite the same effect as regular stained glass: http://suzyssitcom.c...ined-glass.html

post-34351-0-57062500-1370488358_thumb.jpg

Edited by abrondino

This is the "Faux Stained Glass Marquee" test below the one I created with Photoshop on paper (which is above). I will have to install it in the cabinet to see what it looks like with a light behind it before I am completely sold. I think I have to retrace the lighter black lines with a darker color too.

post-34351-0-72010700-1370488429_thumb.jpg

Edited by abrondino
  • Like 1

I laid down the ledding on a piece of new glass for the faux stained glass window as the bezel around the TV monitor of the Atari machine. I now need to add the color to it in the same way I created the marquee. The center will be absolutely clear. All of the other windows will be different colors and the very outside will be the same red as the marquee.

post-34351-0-18465800-1370488664_thumb.jpg

Edited by abrondino

I tried purple and it started to look just like the bottom brown colors. I washed it off quickly. I then used opaque white over the top of the orange and it lightened it up quite a bit. I also added texture to the red around the edge by tapping a dry brush all over a fresh thin coat

post-34351-0-93335700-1370488879_thumb.jpg

Edited by abrondino

Okay.. The glass is mounted and looks pretty good in it Since it is not backlit, I may have to light it slightly from the top. I took this picture with a light aimed into it.

The cabinet is in need of a paint job and some wood putty. I am liking what I see, though.

post-34351-0-63912200-1370488966_thumb.jpg

Edited by abrondino
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

After quite a few tries, I am unable to cut the tops of the 2600 machines to where it looks smooth. I have decided to go the route of emulating the top of the 2600 by getting multiple square metal (preferably powder coated to match my new control panel) and affixing them to the top.

• 2 weeks later...

abrondino- AWESOME work. I can see you're really thinking outside the box to make this a truly unique piece of Atari art. Great work so far. Eagerly awaiting your updates!

After quite a few tries, I am unable to cut the tops of the 2600 machines to where it looks smooth. I have decided to go the route of emulating the top of the 2600 by getting multiple square metal (preferably powder coated to match my new control panel) and affixing them to the top.

Nice work.

I'm curious about the auto-detection of controllers. Do you actually have that working?

Generally speaking, to switch between paddle and joystick , the only thing that would need to be switched is the fire button. The paddle controller fire button is the same as right direction (or left?) on a joystick. If the game isn't looking for a paddle, it shouldn't hurt for the pot to be connected.

From there, I guess you could just constantly monitor for a discharge/charge pattern. If the game is using a paddle, it will discharge the cap on the paddle input then it will charge again through the potentiometer in the paddle. Some sort of missing pulse detector circuit could switch to joystick mode if no activity is found on player 1 paddle in port 1 (except Tac-Scan uses port 2 instead of port 1)

Detecting the need for the driving controller vs. joystick won't work like that, so I guess no Indy 500 for this cabinet project.

Then there's the special case of the keypad controller which uses all the digital I/O and the two analog inputs so that wouldn't work either. What Atari 2600 arcade cabinet would be complete without Basic Programming?! ;-)

For a foolproof solution, you'd almost need to do a lookup against the game signature when it's loaded and somehow output the required controller. I wonder if a custom version of the Harmony firmware could output a signal on the USB port...

I don't know how big you want your label, but in best electronics revision 10 catalog, on page 155, they are selling prototype metal labels from the Atari 2700 run that never happened. They are only a buck for two, and they have self adhesive backing on them. Best does have a minimum order, but it's hard to look in that thing and NOT spend 20 bucks. I would like a dozen of everything.... Anyhow, since you're doing a one off cabinet, why not use a one off label?