IGNORED

So where can I get a prototype fixed?

Gao

I think this game is Tank Blitz, an unreleased proto from Milton Bradley. This game would have had a special controller and the odd way of resetting this game (press button and down) is perhaps programmed that way to accommodate the special controller..... see: http://www.atariprot...0/tankblitz.jpg (scroll down). Of course, I may be totally wrong but you never know....does anybody the name of the programmers from Milton Bradley?

It seems odd that this would be the one game in the series that wasn't in first person, though the ad does mention that there's a tank on screen. However, it's worth noting that the ad says that there's a specific action you have to take to stop the tank, which isn't the case in this proto (you just stop moving when you aren't pushing a direction).

It seems odd that this would be the one game in the series that wasn't in first person, though the ad does mention that there's a tank on screen. However, it's worth noting that the ad says that there's a specific action you have to take to stop the tank, which isn't the case in this proto (you just stop moving when you aren't pushing a direction).

Good point Pao. However, I got many prototypes where controls were different from the final product because it was still being worked on. Moreover, Tank Blitz was to be used with a special controller so the way it would work with the game would require some working with the controls (and its control code instructions) between the controller and the cart. The fact that it says that the tank comes out, the word "blitz" is in the title of the game and the swastikas that appear (and some other conversations I've had with other collectors) leads to me, more than ever, to believe that this is indeed Tank Blitz.

The date code on the EPROM looks to be from 1980 (if I am reading it correctly). Does that seem reasonable for a game that was being developed in 1982 or 1983? Were the EPROMS used in development recycled?

The date code on the EPROM looks to be from 1980 (if I am reading it correctly). Does that seem reasonable for a game that was being developed in 1982 or 1983? Were the EPROMS used in development recycled?

Yes, of course, the eproms used almost always will have older date codes. And, yes, they were recycled quite a bit from one project to another. For every hundred protos that we have found in the wild, thousands probably existed that were recycled, reused, destroyed, and discarded. I will say however that the particular eprom on this cartridge is "older" then most common ceramic eproms. I mean, whenever you see a little bit of gold around the window and/or on the device itself, like the legs, etc. well...let's just say they stopped making them like that after awhile. They don't make them like they used to :)

Well, Tempest getting the rom at some point in the future and reviewing it for the community is highly probable. It has been done in the past with dozens of previously unreleased & unavailable games. However, what will become of the rom is still very much unclear, especially now since it has "officially changed hands" because we are not yet privy to what the stipulations of that transaction were, much less what was agreed upon by the two parties involved prior to it.

Yea, it's like that...

When and if I'm allowed to I suppose. I would assume that the rom will be made public eventually, they usually are.

They aren't all made available to the public and for the majority of us the closest any of us get to knowing about the rom is through your website. You have been trusted with some very rare roms in the past and it costs nothing to voice a question ;)

Well, Tempest getting the rom at some point in the future and reviewing it for the community is highly probable. It has been done in the past with dozens of previously unreleased & unavailable games. However, what will become of the rom is still very much unclear, especially now since it has "officially changed hands" because we are not yet privy to what the stipulations of that transaction were, much less what was agreed upon by the two parties involved prior to it.

Yea, it's like that...

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Guess I would have never have realised otherwise ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Methinks the chips would have to be moved to another board. However, find it hard to believe someone made an Atari game with Nazi symbols in it.

Need a better picture of this board....

Than you sir have never played Tutankham!

Edited by yarjr

• 3 weeks later...

LOL

That is an old inside joke, just look up old posts from Lost Monkey. ;)

This proto will be released on cart in the future, we still need to figure out if it is indeed Tank Blitz. Code patterns from the other two MB games still need to be compared.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...