IGNORED

ANTIC the Atari 8bit Podcast is now available

Subby

Sure, sounds like a great thread! You had me worried at the beginning of the sentence where it sounded like you had to hide your Antic listening :)

Randy

There are some seats down here too and there is a TV which my wife and child watch. I have had the podcast (and other podcasts) out loud before, but I just keep on being asking "What's that? What are they on about?", so I do sort of hide it now, with headphones rather than location.

It is like it is my little secret now! :)

• Like 2

Just listened to the Bill Wilkinson interview; it was awesome hearing from one of my programming icons who influenced so much of my early computing life. It made me sad to hear that OSS wasn't financially successful for him, but I'm glad he had some good memories. I really relished my Basic XL cart, but never got any of the other OSS carts until I started collecting in the 90s.

As for podcasting tools -- one that I've heard a bit about, but never used, is the Levelator program that was developed by The Conversations Network early in the life of podcasting. They shut down a few years ago, but the program is still available with instructions at http://web.archive.org/web/20130729204551id_/http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/

• Like 1

A new interview for you.

ANTIC Interview 13 - The Atari 8-bit Podcast - Ihor Wolosenko

Ihor Wolosenko was co-founder of Synapse software, the company that brought us SynFile and SynCalc, and an amazing list of games including Blue Max, Zeppelin, Fort Apocalypse, Alley Cat and Shamus. And Nautilus, and Rainbow Walker, and Protector II, and others. Kevin interviewed Ihor on December 23, 2014.

Related link: https://archive.org/details/SynapseSoftwareArt

• Like 4

Just Listened to the Ihor from Synapse interview podcast and it was great. You should follow up with him again at some point there is so much more you could get into!

I'd be interested in some details about the productivity apps like SynAssembler and maybe go through some of the games as well. It sounded like he had many more stories to tell.

The other thing is that the audio quality this time was very very good.

Podcasting type people.

Midimaze for the 8-bit is on AtariMania http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-midi-maze_3380.html

Also Video61 sells it as a cart.

http://members.tcq.net/video61/compnew.html

Bruce at B&C sells the midi adapters:

Hybrid Arts MIDI Music interface

ACA086 MIDIMATE INTERFACE NO SOF 49.95
ACA037 MIDITRACK II 800/800XL 69.95
ACA038 MIDITRACK III 130XE 69.95

I have a booth at VCF East and I am considering having MidiMaze set up with a couple of ST's and a 130xe.

-Pete

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

Hi, Fletch,

Since the podcast, I found midi-maze at AtariMania and we've already ordered some midi-mates from Bruce at B&C to get this set up. We're going to set up a midi-maze demonstration with 8-bits (and likely ST's) at VCF Southeast.

I was not aware that Lance had the actual cart. If we prove this works, then I would like to buy the cart.

It would be great if you set something up at VCF East, which none of us Antic hosts are going to be able to get to.

thanks for the information!

Randy

co-host Antic

Podcasting type people.

Midimaze for the 8-bit is on AtariMania http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-midi-maze_3380.html

I have a booth at VCF East and I am considering having MidiMaze set up with a couple of ST's and a 130e.

-Pete

By the way, I don't see MidiMaze at Video61. I see something called Midas Maze. Was that a misspelling or am I missing where it lists Midi-Maze?

thanks

Randy

Podcasting type people.

I have a booth at VCF East and I am considering having MidiMaze set up with a couple of ST's and a 130e.

-Pete

Hi, Fletch,

Since the podcast, I found midi-maze at AtariMania and we've already ordered some midi-mates from Bruce at B&C to get this set up. We're going to set up a midi-maze demonstration with 8-bits (and likely ST's) at VCF Southeast.

I was not aware that Lance had the actual cart. If we prove this works, then I would like to buy the cart.

It would be great if you set something up at VCF East, which none of us Antic hosts are going to be able to get to.

thanks for the information!

Randy

co-host Antic

You could just spend $100 at Atarimax and get 5 8Mb carts, then you can use them for whatever games you want. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend, I set up Midi Maze with a 130XE, a 140STf, Mega ST2, and a Falcon as a pretest for VCF EAST. Everything went ok as long as the 130XE was the master. The 8-bit version does not seem to support bots and has a limited subset of mazes.

I used Fandal's version of Midi Maze on the 130XE. My 130XE is expanded to 320 kb, not sure what Fandal's version requires, but I am fairly certain it does not work on the standard 128 kb. On the ST's and Falcon I used version 1.0 of Midi Maze.

All worked well!

-Pete

Over the weekend, I set up Midi Maze with a 130XE, a 140STf, Mega ST2, and a Falcon as a pretest for VCF EAST. Everything went ok as long as the 130XE was the master. The 8-bit version does not seem to support bots and has a limited subset of mazes.

I used Fandal's version of Midi Maze on the 130XE. My 130XE is expanded to 320 kb, not sure what Fandal's version requires, but I am fairly certain it does not work on the standard 128 kb. On the ST's and Falcon I used version 1.0 of Midi Maze.

All worked well!

-Pete

Can you describe the setup. What did you use to hook up the 103XE? Midimate, 850, etc.?

Allan

Can you describe the setup. What did you use to hook up the 103XE? Midimate, 850, etc.?

Allan

Allan,

I used a Wizztronix MidiMax adapter, which seems to be MidiMate compatible, on the 130XE. I installed Fandal's version of Midi Maze on my SiDE 2. I cabled the MIDI OUT from the MidiMax to the MIDI IN on the 1040, and repeated on to the Mega, then to the Falcon and back to the MidiMax.

I then booted the 1040ST, then the Mega, then the Falcon. All indicated that they were slave machines. Lastly I booted the 130XE and that indicated it was the master.

I chose the game options and the maze on the 130XE. Started the match and all played like a champ.

I did have one game hang after the match was over, but I believe that was due to memory issue on the Falcon related to booting off the hard drive. I rebooted the Falcon from just the floppy and all of my other tests worked swimmingly.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finished listening to the David Small interview - what an interesting person. Thanks guy for the great interview series.

And even though I have heard of him before, and even though I googled something completely different tonight (Action! and the Bit3 80 Column Display).

I read through the texts and ... WTF ...is this the subconsciousness plugin in Google Chrome or what...

Concerning the latest interview with Sal Equivel on Antic, if you go to the Atlantis Games Group site, you get the following message: "Due to the poor attitude on certain discussion forums, Atlantis Games Group will not continue to develop new products for the Atari 8-bit community."

I'm trying to find out from Sal what's happening here. It's not clear even whether the games already put out by Atlantis Games Group are even sold anymore through Video 61.

Sorry about that. I didn't check to see if anything had changed before I posted the interview and links. That's what happens when it takes 2-3 months to post an interview because of the backlog.

Randy

co-host Antic

Yeah, we're a laugh a minute :). Sounds like we're more often inadvertently funny than on purpose.

We'll be happy to mention the new season of the High Score Club.

Randy

Thanks for that. I've just got up to date with my listening, apart from a few interviews.... so Randy what have you been doing on the Atari since last time... errm nothing... So Brad have you played Atari today erm NO! Yet each time there's still an hour or two of great listening! I now know so much more about the Apple systems :-D Some of the interviews are incredibly heartfelt with some amazing stories like the one from Fernando Herrera. Keep up the great work guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

...Where do you predominantly listen to your Antic?

I listen to mine underneath the house in a car port area with my big headphones on while coding or browsing.

Someone out there must be "Antic in the Attic"?

p.s. I was in stiches with the ITalk thingy you could get it to do a mini pod cast segment each time using the different voices or edit in some heckles perhaps. Or for those who think 5 hours is too long for each episode it could read the whole thing at high speed for the 'Antic blipcast' ;)

back to my assembling...

Concerning the latest interview with Sal Equivel on Antic, if you go to the Atlantis Games Group site, you get the following message: "Due to the poor attitude on certain discussion forums, Atlantis Games Group will not continue to develop new products for the Atari 8-bit community."

I'm trying to find out from Sal what's happening here. It's not clear even whether the games already put out by Atlantis Games Group are even sold anymore through Video 61.

Sorry about that. I didn't check to see if anything had changed before I posted the interview and links. That's what happens when it takes 2-3 months to post an interview because of the backlog.

Randy

co-host Antic

Certainly Atlantic's right to stop making products, but placing the blame on reactions from internet forums seems really bizarre. Have the Atlantic guy's been on internet forums? Do any internet forums have a good attitude?

Sad as I was looking forward to buying Sal's ST to Component adapter, but if his skin is that thin maybe its for the best that he exits the scene.

Edited by Fletch

I loved the interview with David Small. I remember him from back in the day when he created the Magic Sac and Spectre 128 cartridges that allowed an Atari ST user to run Macintosh software on their machines. I wanted to own a Mac back in that era but it was way beyond my price range. I would finally get to own a Mac but it was not until 2004 and I have been using them ever since. Thanks to David Small, a lot of people got to experience a Mac that would have otherwise not been able to.

He definitely was an interesting person and it was great to hear what his perspective was from that era. Thanks Antic Podcast group for putting that interview together.

Thanks for that. I've just got up to date with my listening, apart from a few interviews.... so Randy what have you been doing on the Atari since last time... errm nothing... So Brad have you played Atari today erm NO! Yet each time there's still an hour or two of great listening! I now know so much more about the Apple systems :-D Some of the interviews are incredibly heartfelt with some amazing stories like the one from Fernando Herrera. Keep up the great work guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well Bob, I don't disappoint this month either.

As some probably know, doing a job search when you're our age is stressful and time consuming to say the least.

But...!

It looks like I may have to come up with a new excuse soon.