IGNORED

Atari XL/XE Music

Herzlich Wilkommen!

Nice track there, how did you produce the song? Did you use CMC or RMT to produce it? If so, you could export it in it's native format, then somebody could use the track.

.xex is good for a lot of people who just want to listen to the music, but not edit it or use it in a program.

I suspect it's a similar code to what I am using to code music for PacManPlus's 7800 Bentley Bear game ... it's basically assembly code which plays notes according to frequency and duration. It may be possible to convert this to some usable format (such as RMT or SAP) if you could post the original assembly code you used.

@snicklin: Danke ;-)

BTW: For all who don't know me:

I only make music for coders who CAN'T do it by themselfes.

So that they DON'T need to take a Mod from "Somewhere" or pay someone for making the music for a game.

Yeah, all Music is for Free! No Deals, No Tricks, No Payment.(Ask the Coders i've already worked with)

I'm not interessted of making Music for a MP3 - Compilation or just for my Ego.

If you need Music for your Game, just PM me ;) :thumbsup:

If I understand it right, then .XEX is the Rom export right?

Can some one listen to the .XEX and tell me, does it sound like this?

http://www.atari-music.de/FreakyXL.mp3

FreakyXL.xex

Edited by Der Luchs
  • Like 1

I guess what I'm looking for is a tune data and the assembler 'player' code to plug into my game - either for the tile screen or in game (if catchy enough). I could also do with some little sound effects and short 'ditties' to use in game. I haven't really got this far yet as I still have to get the game running!!!

I guess what I'm looking for is a tune data and the assembler 'player' code to plug into my game - either for the tile screen or in game (if catchy enough). I could also do with some little sound effects and short 'ditties' to use in game. I haven't really got this far yet as I still have to get the game running!!!

These tunes are built in Raster Music Tracker so that's pretty much what you're looking for, at least for the title screen. You can experiment with integrating music using the XEX above; include the binary at $3400 (leave everything from $3000 to the end of the binary clear, some space is taken up with work labels).

During your set-up code, add this to initialise the driver (the X and Y are low and high byte of the data):

lda #$00
ldx #$00
ldy #$40
jsr $3400

During the vertical blank or any DLI that's only called once per frame:

jsr $3403

• Like 1

I'm not a coder, so you need to tell me what export you want/need ;-)

Straight XEX export should work for most people, it only gets tricky if there's more than one tune required but (for the coders reading) X and Y before the init jsr contain the low/high byte of the music data so it's just a case of ripping the music data out of a group of XEX files, merging them with one copy of the driver and setting X and Y to whichever tune is required before the call.

These tunes are built in Raster Music Tracker so that's pretty much what you're looking for, at least for the title screen. You can experiment with integrating music using the XEX above; include the binary at $3400 (leave everything from $3000 to the end of the binary clear, some space is taken up with work labels).

During your set-up code, add this to initialise the driver (the X and Y are low and high byte of the data):

lda #$00
ldx #$00
ldy #$40
jsr $3400

During the vertical blank or any DLI that's only called once per frame:

jsr $3403

Thanks for this info, I will give it a try :thumbsup: I was thinking I would have to work out all the audio control settings but sounds like this is all taken care of... if I wanted to have music 'in game' how does this effect my use of sounds effects - can I keep a channel available at the cost of a simpler tune using 3 channels?

Thanks to Der Luchs for the mail too :thumbsup:

You can limit the music to three channels, create instruments for your sound effects, and then let the player deal with playing them by calling the play note interface. Check out the asm_src/sfx/sfx.xex demo in the RMT zip package for an example. It plays a tune and then you can press 1-8 to play different sound effects over it. Relevant excerpt:

vbi
;
 lda sfx_effect
 bmi lab2
 asl @ ; * 2
 tay ;Y = 2,4,..,16 instrument number * 2 (0,2,4,..,126)
 ldx #3 ;X = 3 channel (0..3 or 0..7 for stereo module)
 lda #12 ;A = 12 note (0..60)
 jsr RASTERMUSICTRACKER+15 ;RMT_SFX start tone (It works only if FEAT_SFX is enabled !!!)
;
 lda #$ff
 sta sfx_effect ;reinit value
;
lab2
 jsr RASTERMUSICTRACKER+3 ;1 play
;
 jmp $e462 ;end vbi
;

I used the same technique in my tiles demo but using TMC2 instead of RMT (see coin code).

Edited by Xuel

[trbb opens can of worms]

Thanks Xuel :thumbsup: that sounds a good solution (I could then flag up which sound effect to play) if I can get the player code too?

MAC/65 doesn't support xex file inclusion.

Does anyone know what settings Der Luchs should use for the file export from RMT? He sent me an ".ASM" file (below) but I can only get it into MAC/65 by 1st changing the EOF markers in memopad.xex, then loading with (enter) and then manually (syntax) fixing each line [the dtas have an inverse control I prefix and are not locatable by find/replace]. If you look at it in memopad.xex you can see the funny squares (tabs perhaps). At a push I can get this across though.

This is only the music data?!

I don't have enough time to investigate RMT etc as I have to get the game working/finished, has anyone already done this from PC-Atari?

>>>

;ASM notation source

XXX equ $FF ;empty note value

MUSIC_data

;Song column L1

MUSIC_columnL1

;Song line $00 Track $00

MUSIC_columnL1_line00

dta $24,$24,XXX,XXX,$23,XXX,XXX,$21,$23,XXX,$1F,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX

dta $21,XXX,$23,$23,XXX,$21,XXX,$1F,$21,XXX,$21,$21,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX

dta $24,$24,XXX,XXX,$23,XXX,XXX,$21,$23,XXX,$1F,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX

dta $1C,XXX,$1C,XXX,$1D,$1D,XXX,$1F,$21,XXX,$23,XXX,$24,$26,XXX,XXX

;Song line $01 Go to line $00

;Song column L2

MUSIC_columnL2

;Song line $00 Track $01

MUSIC_columnL2_line00

dta $0C,XXX,$18,XXX,$0C,XXX,$18,XXX,$10,XXX,$1C,XXX,$10,XXX,$1C,XXX

dta $0E,XXX,$1A,XXX,$0E,XXX,$1A,XXX,$10,XXX,$1C,XXX,$1C,XXX,$28,XXX

dta $0C,XXX,$18,XXX,$0C,XXX,$18,XXX,$10,XXX,$1C,XXX,$10,XXX,$1C,XXX

dta $0E,XXX,$1A,XXX,$0E,XXX,$1A,XXX,$10,XXX,$1C,XXX,$1C,XXX,$28,XXX

;Song column L3

MUSIC_columnL3

;Song line $00 Track $02

MUSIC_columnL3_line00

dta $0C,XXX,$0C,XXX,$0C,XXX,$0C,XXX,$0C,XXX,$0C,$0C,$0C,$0C,$0C,XXX

;Song column L4

MUSIC_columnL4

;Song line $00 Track --

MUSIC_columnL4_line00

dta XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX

<<<

That's just the sound, track and sequence data in source code form. Source for the music driver (in various flavours) is provided in the asm_src directory shipped with RMT itself. That said, getting over thirteen hundred lines of source code with some conditionals in there over to MAC/65 and assembling is probably going to be tricky and time consuming.

Soooo, it doesn't work with MAC/65?

not easily by the looks of it.

I can perhaps still use the note data as I can get it across to the Atari (just about) - would need to figure out the correct settings for each sound channel - and the audctl settings can you see this in RMT?