Adventure II XE demo and testing

228 replies to this topic

#226 Cafeman OFFLINE  

Cafeman

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,882 posts

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:03 PM

I've ordered the 5200 version from AtariAge and ordered a 5200 off eBay (neither of which have arrived yet, but waiting...)  With the way my life usually works, that means the XE version will come out right afterward... (hint hint).

Feel free to write a review in the AA store after you've played it a bit. Unless you hate it. ;)

I left Adventure II XE alone for many months, wow where has the time gone. I was busy doing other things, and as I get older I seem to have less energy and drive than I used to. However, lately with the earlier nights and colder weather I have more free time to stay in and code away, and I assure everyone, I am very interested in finishing the game so I can move on to other projects. I will post another update after this long holiday weekend to let you know what kind of progress I've made!

#227 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,407 posts

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:33 PM

Awesome!  Yeah, I really have been wanting to get the XE version and play that, but I keep looking at videos of the 5200 version and just had to have it...

#228 tjlazer OFFLINE  

tjlazer

River Patroller

• 2,143 posts
  • Retro Atari Addict

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:23 PM

Can we atleast get someone to convert the 5200 one over to 8-bit to hold us over?

#229 Cafeman OFFLINE  

Cafeman

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,882 posts

Posted Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:24 PM

The start of this project was actually a direct conversion from the 5200 version that I offered to do for Cafeman.  But that was just the first step since he wanted to do some updates to make it different from the 5200 version.

Also, the move to A8 introduced VBI and collision timing bugs, not sure why but they seemed worse than the 5200 version. I fixed those problems for the XE version by optimizing all the VBI sprite routines, reducing them by many cycles per frame. So I wouldn't want anyone playing that original version even if it did still exist.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users