Genesis 3 Power Supply Question

genesis power ac adapter compatablility playstation

4 replies to this topic

#1 yarjr OFFLINE  

yarjr

Chopper Commander

• 198 posts

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:47 PM

Hi I'm YarJr. and I have a Sega Genesis question so what better place to ask than an atari forum? lol (was not going to be my first post here but since I have a legitmiate issue might as well ask. I should be talking about my lovely Atari jr. though)
See Ive been ressurecting my old consoles and I lost my power supply and a/v cables for my genesis so I picked some up but the damn power supply is for a genesis 1 and I have a 2 and 3.
My question is could I use a Sony 7.5 v supply with an input of 120v ~ 0.37 A and an output of 7.5v -2.0a for a Genesis 2 or 3?

#2 icemanxp300 OFFLINE  

icemanxp300

River Patroller

• 3,708 posts

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:51 PM

I'm not certain. I do know either the watt or volt can be higher but not the other.

mine power supply states.120vac 60hz 7 w
10vdc
- to +

#3 SSG OFFLINE  

SSG

Dragonstomper

• 727 posts
  • Live Long, And Prosper.

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:45 PM

I own a Genesis III and i wouldnt risk it. there are a little harder to find than the others. your better off getting an origional or a knock off. I wouldnt risk it

#4 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 4,447 posts

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:58 AM

according to the first site I googled the gen 3 needs 10 volts 300 ma, considering the first thing it will hit is a 7805 it might work in regards to voltage (depending on what reverse polarity protection is installed in the machine) and has plenty of current.

current is safe as the system will only take what it needs from the power supply's potential, but you are really close to the low end on the voltage.

#5 yarjr OFFLINE  

yarjr

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 198 posts

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:13 PM

Thanks for your comments. Its working and so long as i doesn't fry my system I'm good for now...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: genesis, power, ac, adapter, compatablility, playstation

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users