IGNORED

New 'HAMY' $24 handheld famiclone.

For those of us who have found themselves with *way* too much money, there appears to be a version of this same hardware with a 30-in-1 cart and two IR controllers for the low-low price of just $150...

(link)

It's interesting how anything in asia gets manufactured for an official source..

..and then quickly gets de-branded and sold for drastically cheaper. I've even seen knockoffs of Krizz's flash carts flying around.

I got my Hamy today. The box was half crushed, but it works. Picture is bright so things look washed out. Feels like certain sound channels are missing too. Not noticeable in the older games, but in Contra it is obvious. The segmented d-pad is like a Wonderswan, albeit not circular/curved so it doesn't feel as natural as it could. Still, it works fine.

they also sell this.... lolzies.

sku_151927_1.jpg

Don't know if you're familiar with Stuart Ashen (I'm sure that some of you are), but he's reviewed something very, very similar

Most likely made by the same company. Video's worth watching for a giggle or two.

Edited by rockman_x_2002
  • Like 1

Well, I went ahead and did a quick review on the thing,

. I'm surprised (and glad) to say, it runs Castlevania III. You can see it running in action about 3/4 the way through the video.

For $24, you can't go wrong though. Unless you get a defective one, that is. I'm not sure if I will hold onto mine though. I may end up listing it in my FS thread here, since I'm a bit tight on money right now. We'll see..

• Like 3

The screen in the videos I've seen of hamy (all three of them) looks reasonably good (on video). How washed-out is it? Worse than, say, the fc-mobile line?

It's good that they're not *all* defective. I've got mine RMA'd back to DX, and I'm hoping they send me another unit rather than just a refund.

Still waiting for mine. Even a broken unit is better than my Game Theory Admiral, though!

I think AIDS is better than one of those. I almost bought one...until I thought about how it would look using it in public. (or how it would work)

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Reaperman, the brightness or contrast is pretty high and I think that is the problem. Most games are tolerable but a few like Star Force are difficult to play because your ship and enemy bullets blend into the background when it's white objects on top of slightly less-white backgrounds.

Yeah, one of their plug and plays looks like a soccer ball-playstation, and IIRC if you zoom in on the game list it's got Summer Carnival '92 (and other solid games). I was pretty tempted to go for that one some time ago, but never could bring myself to do it.

Well just for the hell of it since we discussed i there I'll mention I got this thing. Frankly not worth having it's thread. 248 in 1 it's called.

http://dx.com/p/248-games-classic-video-game-system-w-2-wired-controllers-black-151948

It showed up smooshed (giant bubble mailer from Singapore) and even coming out of the box it looked used. Scuffed, dirty, etc. Was in one piece but looked like hell.

Reset button was unseated so I had to open it up an put it back.

The composite connectors had RUST on them on the inside.

The included power supply is 220v so I had to pirate a power supply from one of the atgames systems (worked fine).

And immediately upon playing you notice the games are PAL and are all slowed down. And I am no purist when ti comes to emulation etc, but this was practically unplayable to me.

Worth a laugh I guess for 20$ if you collect these things (or if you live in the land of PAL) but I'd stay away otherwise.